3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2022-11-23 01:08:36

@Carl is there any update to the three-way switches currently on Amazon? There is a classic version and New version on Amazon. Is the New Version the version with software corrections? Are all the issues resolved now?

Options
2022-11-23 01:32:02 - last edited 2022-11-23 01:33:20

@echo954, the new version is a different hardware version altogether.  I was a beta tester for it's release and I can confirm that it resolves the issues of the classic version.  The only thing it still doesn't support is double-click functionality but that isn't likely a big deal for most users.  I liked it because I could program my switches to go to full brightness like Lutron switches, but that isn't something I use all that often.  Still, it would be nice if TP-Link could get the double-click functionality working again.

Options
2022-11-23 21:55:16

@Connu @Carl How is the new version different than the classic version. How is the hardware different? Does the new version resolve all the software issues we were seeing with the classic (initial release) version? I don't want to purchase any units yet unless I know I can have faith in their performance. I have at least two two-way light circuits where I would like to use these, but I have been very hesitant to purchase any until all the issues were resolved.

Again, I am looking for any and all feedback on the performance of the newer units.

Options
2022-11-23 22:02:48

@SteveSJ, I'm no engineer, but all the features that were broken in the "classic" first version were fixed except for double-clicking.  With the exception of double-click, the switch now functions like rest of the Kasa switches.  One big difference in terms of hardware is that the travelor wires no longer need to be in any particular order.  This makes installation and wiring easier.

Options
2022-11-23 22:06:58

@SteveSJ I have 2 sets of the new style, and both work great. I had one of the early firmware of the old versions that had all of the original issues.

The new ones show the status light as a normal kasa switch would (circle LED is on when light is off, off when light is on) I have one especially long run between the two switches, probbaly 50+ feet of wire, and it works great. I previously had issue when the old model was only 10s of feet away between switches and it would shut off when turning the brightness up. That was fixed in later firmware updates of the old model, but some other items, like the circle LED toggling status would no longer work. With the new model, everything seems great. One noticable change is that on the old model the "satelite" switch had one of the screw posts configured to be both a traveler and the load wire. Now they are seperate posts which certainly seems more reliable as well.

Hopefuly the prices can come down, and I'm still hoping that, like the 210 3way line that later was updated to be able to work with 4 way switch layouts, perhaps someday that will happen here as well as I have a few spots that could use it (that or a way to add another satellite to the setup for 3 switches on one circuit.

Options
2022-11-24 00:11:37

@SteveSJ 

Internally the components are different.  The wiring of the satellite unit is different and the traveler no longer have to be the same on both switches.  

Options
2022-12-18 23:13:43

Hi @Carl,

I finally got around to installing four more v2 kits. They all work well and were easier to install with the new wiring that doesn't require the traveler wires to be installed on a particular terminal.  The only thing that's still not great is the guided installation.  Only one of the installations said that it completed successfully.  Three of them hung during the firmware update.  They would progress to 100% but the app would freeze with the progress indicator spinning indefinitely.  The good news is that they were all successful but the app never responded as such and I had to force stop the app each time.  However, the one installation that worked wouldn't dim the lights during or after the calibration.  I thought it was a defective switch until dimming started working after the firmware update.  These Philip 4" can lights were different from the others and likely had something to do with it.  I'm using a Pixel 7 Pro with Android 13.

Options
2022-12-21 14:19:27

@Connu Did you ever get anywhere with this? 

Connu wrote

@echo954,

Sorry, I meant a 3-way dimmer & motion switch.  The Lutron switches aren't really 3-way either (you can buy a companion switch separately), but they work with a dumb 3-way switch on the other end which is nice for turning off and then on to the default dimmer setting rather than capping the leads off.  I haven't tried this with the TP-Link motion dimmer, but I assumed it wouldn't work in that configuration. @Carl?

I, too, am looking for and hoping Kasa comes out with a 3-Way Dimmer & motion Smart Switch.

Suzukii-i-i-i, (bzzt-crackle-pop!!!) Oops!!!, maybe the Hot & Neutral shouldn't go together.
Options
2023-01-22 15:06:06 - last edited 2023-01-22 15:06:52

Hi @echo954,

Sorry. I missed your post. No, I haven't tried any of the Kasa motion switches yet. I still have my tried-and-true "dumb" Lutron motion dimmers. They function in a 3-way circuit because they have a setting to work with a standard "dumb" 3-way switch on the other end. The downside to this is that you only get motion detection on the Lutron switch. This is fine in a room where both switches are in direct site of one another, but not great where they aren't.

Options
Related Articles