two-factor authentication for kasa accounts

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-19 16:00:38 - last edited 2022-05-16 18:37:48

Is two-factor authentication coming soon for kasa accounts?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:two-factor authentication for kasa accounts-Solution
2022-05-16 18:37:13 - last edited 2022-05-16 18:37:36

Announcing Two-Factor Authentication for Kasa Users

We have started to roll out two-factor authentication for our Kasa accounts. This means that, when enabled, a new device signing in with TP-Link ID will be asked to present a time sensitive verification code to protect your account from unauthorized access.

I have already created and published a new KB Article detailing how to Set up 2-Factor Authentication in the Kasa App. If you want to jump ahead and get registered, the instructions for sign up, if eligible, can be found here: 

Enabling Two-Step Verification on the Kasa App

As a reminder, we are slowly rolling this feature out to our users by enabling the feature on your account in waves. The menu for Two Factory Authentication can already be found in the app, and will tell you if the feature has been enabled on your account yet.

Recommended Solution
Options
26 Reply
Re:two-factor authentication for kasa accounts
2019-07-23 16:00:05

@bryanhz18 

We have had customers in the past request that feature which we forwarded to our developers. So far, it seems that there are not any plans to have that.

Options
2019-12-03 04:57:41
so.. you make devices that control people homes, and give access to peoples personal cameras.. but don't bother to provide modern security methods to keep control over those things safe. Seems dumb.
Options
2019-12-18 18:17:58

2 factor authentication should be a priority security software update ASAP.  You see on the news everyday about compromised accounts.  If you don't want to scare customers away from your products by not offering this critical feature, you should be looking to offer this security measure within the next month.

Options
2019-12-19 02:47:09

I enjoy the products but will hold off purchasing more until this update occurs. This is critical.

Options
2020-01-10 19:14:37

@Tony is there any update on this?  New breaches daily, we need 2FA on the Kasa system, its not an 'optional' thing in this world anymore.  Is there any movement?

Options
2020-01-15 18:56:34

We have stressed this on behalf of smart home users, and it is on their (devs) minds. Hopfully we will have that as more households integrate our smart home products, but as of now there is no update.

Options
2020-01-16 15:11:32

@Tony Thanks for the reply.  It's a bad indicator - If they don't take simply enabling 2FA seriously on home-control devices (cameras for crying out loud) I'd imagine they don't take security seriously at all.  In general, its known in the industry IoT security is just awful all around, but to not even attempt to further secure their customers with simple 2FA, is in my view, is negligent considering the security climate we are in today.

I'd strongly urge you to send this message to your superiors and the leaders of your company, and ask them to be a leader in IoT by investing in proper security.  This could in fact become a selling point for you.

https://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram/archives/2020/0115.html#cg4

Options
2020-01-23 18:17:59
agreed my friend. this is the main reason why I'm actually going with another company because I'm all about security, especially when it comes to cameras that can, I don't know...., view what you're doing.
Options
2020-02-22 14:48:26

Guys.... Get 2FA now. Why are you toying with your customers trust and security?!?!?! I bought this assuming you had it like other vendors. Do you really want PR nightmares like ring and nest? 

Options
2020-03-03 08:34:02 - last edited 2020-03-13 20:11:27

@Tony Firstly let me add my vote to this topic by saying MFA is an essential security feature for Kasa.

I actually bought in to the system naively assuming that MFA would have been supported as one would expect. I am now reluctant to expand it as it cannot provide me the requisite level of security.

This topic has been raised historically and like this thread has reached a dead end from TP-Link.

Therefore please can TP-Link answer the following initial questions relevant to this thread:

* Provide directly from the development team whether MFA is on the backlog and what priority it has been assigned?

* If it is not on the backlog provide directly from the development team a reason why and further information as to what would be needed from the community to get MFA on the backlog?

* Whether there is another platform for which this request can be raised with a better level of support such as direct access to the development team and management?

EDIT: I have not had any response in over a week so I will start a new thread with my questions

Options

Information

Helpful: 10

Views: 9854

Replies: 26