Turn off led indicator on smart switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Turn off led indicator on smart switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
102 Reply
Re:Turn off led indicator on smart switch
2021-11-23 16:39:30

@Raptor23 LOL, nice algo.

To share, I just checked my HS220, Hardware Version is 2.0, Firmware 1.0.5 and the setting is there (so a little different version numbers from @BaumSquad).

I also checked in Android and iOS, both show the setting.

No HS200 yet though, as already discussed above.

Options
2021-12-21 14:47:26

Please please fix this for the HS200 switches. I have them installed all over my home. In fact, I have been a very loyal TP-LINK customer and have switches, bulbs, outlets, power strips, etc., pretty much everywhere. I purchased two more of the HS200s to put in our master bedroom to complete the house. Last night my wife woke up in the middle of the night pretty upset because of the LED lights blazing away. They were bright enought to act like night lights and iluminate the room. My wife is a light sleeper and wants it dark. She was pretty upset with me for changing them out and is now asking me to change them back.

I covered the lights with black tape, but that's just not acceptable. There needs to be a way to turn these indicators off. 

Please please fix this!

Thanks

Options
2021-12-21 15:06:37

Actuall just watched SandroC's youtube video: https://youtu.be/7CWBOeSN4yo

so this is not a light switch firmware issue, it's a KASA app software issue (I know, because I develop software). If another application can already access this setting on the HS200 switch to turn off that light, then all TP-Link needs to do is update the KASA app to add the setting. This is low-hanging fruit guys.  If you want to do something simple that improves on a good thing for your loyal customers, you will do this... soon.

Thanks,

Steve

Options
2021-12-21 18:44:28 - last edited 2021-12-21 18:45:48

TP-Link, please make this update!

Yes, it seems to be available in the HS200 switch as another app can make this change.  Yes, they do have the code written to change it in the very similar HS220 switch.  It seems like a very straightforward improvement and one that would be greatly appreciated by many customers.  Please make this change to the KASA app, thank you!

Options
2021-12-29 01:55:21

Just installed a pile of of HS220 & HS200 switches this afternoon.  Surprised that the led control is only available for the 220s.  Like others in need this led off for the switches in the bedrooms.  

Installed the watt app on the iPad, and fixed this in less than 5 minutes.  Perhaps the reason it hasn't been added to the Kasa app is because of the inconsistent behavior across hw versions.  Makes a generic software implementation ever so slightly more complicated.  Fact that Watt figured it out& there's a python script too, means that it could be coded into Kasa.  

Hopefully they patch this in soon.  The Watt app hasanyore features as well that are super helpful.

Options
2021-12-31 07:25:07 - last edited 2021-12-31 07:30:47

@Scott74d 

It work with "Watt for Smart Devices' in app apple store.

I don't have an Iphone, Ipad, Mac..etc.

But i do have a computer, and i installed Virtual machine, and MacOs Catalina image, then i installed "watts for Smart Devices" within the mac virtual machine.

Just do search "Macos catalina on VMware" on Youtube.

The night notification light are off for the

HS200 hardware version 5.0, and firmware version 1.0.2

and

HS210( two 3-way switch) Hardware version 3.0, and firmware version 1.0.3

but only the first 3way switch that you will be able to close the night notification light.

Looks like it keep the setting on kasa cloud or something, because i turn OFF the breaker and ON, after a while they all connect to wifi, and the setting of the night notification light are still off.

:-)

Options
2022-01-06 23:02:28

@BaumSquad Hmm, I have an HS220, HW ver 3.0, Firmware 1.0.3, but there's no LED Status configuration. App says no firmware updates available. Right now, I'm stuck with a piece of electrical tape because it's too bright at night. Something I'm missing? Thanks!

Options
2022-01-07 02:45:19

@SWRegister HS220 have led status (on / off) in the kasa software, they other dont have it, thats why i use "watt for smart devices" on macIOs sytem, to disable that round white led on the button switch, did it with hs200, Hs 210(3way)

My hs220 is hw 3.0 and software is 1.0.3

Kasa app is version 2.35.1 build 1024

Options
2022-01-07 16:34:49 - last edited 2022-01-07 17:18:36

@Scott74d 

Another way to control on or off the led state is with phyton-kasa like someone mentioned in the forum:

Install Termux on android phone in google app store

Then update tremux in command line

Code type bellow:

$ pkg install root-repo

$ pkg update

Then install python

Code type bellow

$ pkg install python

Then install python-kasa

Code type bellow

$ pip install python-kasa

Then type kasa to discover all your tp-link switch, bulp, plug etc..

Code type bellow

$ kasa

You will get all switch name and ip

Notice the one you want to change

Mine was i typed code bellow

To see your led state

$ kasa --host 192.168.1.112 led

Then change it

$ kasa --host 192.168.1.112 led false

Or

$ kasa --host 192.168.1.112 led true

Or

$ kasa --alias "Bedroom light" led false

Or 

kasa --alias "Bedroom light" led true

Then exit Termux

$ exit

Your done...

Options
2022-01-08 18:45:53 - last edited 2022-01-08 19:20:36

Like SWRegister, I too just put in 2 HS220 switches and the option to turn of the LED in the switch is not appearing in the KASA app.  It is supposed to be on the Name/Icon page, right?

HS220

Hardware = 3.0

Firmware = 1.0.3

KASA iOS app = 2.36.0 build 994

[and yes, I have used the Watt app to turn off the LEDs in the 4 HS200 switches I have]

Options
Related Articles