Viewing TPLINK camer view on computer.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Viewing TPLINK camer view on computer.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
69 Reply
Re:Viewing TPLINK camer view on computer.
2021-06-15 16:58:51 - last edited 2021-09-30 03:10:25

@Carl  "The whole product line was built around the App. "

Yeah well how about advertising that on the bloody box? I can't return my cameras as it's been too long but I've told dozens of people not to buy TP Link products so there's that.

Options
2021-06-16 15:43:44 - last edited 2021-09-30 03:10:25

@BigGlurt 

Unfortunately you can't put everything the camera can or can't do on packaging and for Kasa cameras there is a requirement for the mobile app to operate.  While not directly stated that can be inferred that PC access isn't possible.   You can access the live feed via a screened Google or Alexa device like a Nest Hub or a Alexa show.  Even through a Firestick, but PC access is not in the capabilities.  With our Tapo line of cameras you can access the RSS feed on a PC but that would only be like streaming not control.

Options
2021-06-17 04:28:12 - last edited 2021-09-30 03:10:25

@Carl  "While not directly stated that can be inferred that PC access isn't possible."

What a load of baloney Carl. The writing is barely legible by being in the tiniest font imaginable. Also the wording doesn't suggest that at all. It SHOULD say ONLY compatible with the app, not that the app is a requirement if that's is TP Links stance. 

What should be inferred is that an app can easily be made cross-platform in this day and age and that TP link just sees dollar signs rather than actually contributing useful and broad-reaching technology. Anyway, have fun defending a low tier electronics company, I'm out of this discussion.

Options
2021-06-30 03:23:12 - last edited 2021-09-30 03:10:25

@Carl 

This is sickening btw. We never complained about paying for your garbage. We just wanted the garbage to be PC compatible.

Never buying another TP link product ever again. Telling everyone else to do the same. Business customer for 10 years. Bye Bye

Options
2021-06-30 16:59:23 - last edited 2021-09-30 03:10:25

@MATTJ 

Who said you were complaining about buying our products?  I've been address the feedback that the Kasa line cameras do not support PC streaming capabliites.  I do applogize if that is what you inferred from my responses.  Simply put we have two lines of smart camreas.  One (Kasa) built from the ground up specifcally tailored around and to be controled by the Kasa Smart app.  Cloud to Cloud intergrations such as Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant were also included in the design.  However linking the cameras to a PC or Mac were not ever part of this product lines design.  Its a fact of the product line and though we have sent this request up it has not to this date been added yet.   The other product line (Tapo) was designed by our networking team and access to the RTSP feed on a PC. See this FAQ.  Tapo is also being re-introduced in the US in the next month or so.  Right for what you and others on this thread are looking for that is the best and only option in our current camera offerings. 

Options
2021-07-16 18:33:54 - last edited 2021-09-30 03:10:25

t@Carl I'm new on here and I recently purchased a Kasa camera back in May 2021. I did notice that the 64gb card I put in it wasn't storing everything since May. Then i noticed it only seems to store for only a week. Then i went online to ask the question why is this, only to see that in order to retrive footage, i have to subscribe to a package. That was my first red flag; why would i need to subscribe if i have an SD card in the device?? 

My first question. Can I retrieve anything saved on the locally installed SD card?

Then i read on and to my surprise, there was no documentation on how to look at it via pc. That led me here. Despite the multiple pages of customers suggesting an improvement to the Kasa line, it seems you, Carl, are the only one responding from TP, and the response has been the same from when this thread started. Does it seem like TP is listening to its customers, or sticking the virtual finger up at us suggesting if we don't like what we have, just buy the 'other one' instead? Note, i'm not complainig here; it is my observation that the various technical customers pointing out just how simple it is to modify usability to allow for acces to the PC, comes off like a taboo subject that TP wants to avoid? Does TP understand the consequences of being called out online for not listening to its customers? Does TP even care? These are questions, not assumptions, Carl. But what isn't clear in this forum and your replies, is why TP doesn't think this feature isn't feasible, despite the feedback from the customers in this thread? Can we get an 'official response' or do we have to make do with what you have said here? again, just asking a question, not making an assumption.

The one thing i'm concerned about is this thing about the camera ceasing to operate after 2 years. Carl, i'm officially asking. Is this the case for ANY camera on the TP Kasa line? Can TP come clean and confirm this? If this is the case, TP has a duty of care to warn the consumers of its products to be aware of this, if this indeed will happen. 

Other than the fact I can't download the clips that my camera records (i'm hoping I can simply take the SD card out and copy them to my PC, just haven't tried yet) I have been impressed with the quality of my camera, the Kasa Spot and it's 1080p quality images on playback even allowing me to zoom on live recording. But I have to say, if what the customers in this thread are saying is true, if i was working at TP i'd be very concerned on the backlash of negative feedback due to no tangible action taken to facilitate what the customer is aking for. Surely this technology can be amended with additional programming? what is/are the reason(s) why this appears to be a challenge? can't this product evolve, just like an OS does?

Feedback welcome. You're a brave person Carl. Shame no one else from TP is there to provide (you) support on this thread

Options
2021-07-16 19:19:53 - last edited 2021-09-30 03:10:25

@Blackbagz 

Let me try to answer all of your questions and concerns in line.  

1.  Storage:  Cameras with the SD-slot store in 2 ways either locally through the 24/7 recording feature or via a paid Kasa Care subscription.  Videos clips are however stored in different locations.  A Kasa Care subscription stores the video clip under the activity button on the main screen.  24/7 recording is under the camera button and then the 24/7 recording button once you select which camera it is that you want to access.  For 24/7 recordings are listed on a timeline which actual captures such as person or motion dection listed as tumbnails below the timeline.  Additonally 24/7 recordings are not currently available for downloading directly from the app.  Instead you have to remove the card and connect it to a PC to download the contents, which I would honestly recommend if you have clips you want to save and not have written over when memory fills.  The number of days that can be stored depends on the quality of video being recorded.  For instance 2K would record more space that 720P.  

2. Regarding adding features:  I normally try not to call out any one users knoweledge, espcecially when they state how easy it is to add the requested feature.  The fact is that I'm not a programer and they may be very knowledgable in the subject.  As such it would be quite foolish to do so. However that said, the simple truth is that its not always as easy as some users assume.  Additionally there may be hardware limitations restricting what can or cannot be added.  Then there is the development and testing time.  Some requests whether it be hardware or development, just aren't feesible.  Also the Kasa Line was developed specifically to be used in the app.  This is why you aren't able to mange, control, or setup them up on a PC.  It is not in thier design.  Irregardless if some of our competiors do design their cameras for such access the Kasa line was not.  That is why the Tapo line is suggested.  That was part of the design.  I will say that we can't say never but at this time we have to say there are no plans to add it.  That is about as of an official response as we can provide.  

3.  Camera logetivity.  I am not quite understanding about what you are refering to here.  The only thing on a Kasa Camera that ends after 2 years is the Free Kasa Care plan and the device's warranty.  Your camera being a 24/7 SD-card model you do not have access to the free Kasa Care plan as that is only on models with no SD-card slot, so the only thing for you that would end in 2-years is the warranty.  The camera should last quite a long time under normal circumstances.  

4. Downloads:  I addressed this in response 1.  Downloads right now are only available by physically removing the card and downloading to a PC directly through a reader. This was not something i was aware of until recently and I have inquired if this will eventually be added.  Though I can't say for certain.  

I hope this helps but let me know if I can answer anything else for you,

Options
2021-07-16 21:14:55 - last edited 2021-09-30 03:10:25
@Carl. Thanks. That answers my questions
Options
2021-08-06 18:47:11 - last edited 2021-09-30 03:10:25
Exactly
Options
2021-08-09 22:53:07 - last edited 2021-09-30 03:10:25

@Carl figured it out guys i use a program called bluestacks 5 its an android emulator .once loaded  signin to your google play the download tapo app as normal follow your usual logins and there u go. enjoy

Carl wrote

@Blackbagz 

Let me try to answer all of your questions and concerns in line.  

1.  Storage:  Cameras with the SD-slot store in 2 ways either locally through the 24/7 recording feature or via a paid Kasa Care subscription.  Videos clips are however stored in different locations.  A Kasa Care subscription stores the video clip under the activity button on the main screen.  24/7 recording is under the camera button and then the 24/7 recording button once you select which camera it is that you want to access.  For 24/7 recordings are listed on a timeline which actual captures such as person or motion dection listed as tumbnails below the timeline.  Additonally 24/7 recordings are not currently available for downloading directly from the app.  Instead you have to remove the card and connect it to a PC to download the contents, which I would honestly recommend if you have clips you want to save and not have written over when memory fills.  The number of days that can be stored depends on the quality of video being recorded.  For instance 2K would record more space that 720P.  

2. Regarding adding features:  I normally try not to call out any one users knoweledge, espcecially when they state how easy it is to add the requested feature.  The fact is that I'm not a programer and they may be very knowledgable in the subject.  As such it would be quite foolish to do so. However that said, the simple truth is that its not always as easy as some users assume.  Additionally there may be hardware limitations restricting what can or cannot be added.  Then there is the development and testing time.  Some requests whether it be hardware or development, just aren't feesible.  Also the Kasa Line was developed specifically to be used in the app.  This is why you aren't able to mange, control, or setup them up on a PC.  It is not in thier design.  Irregardless if some of our competiors do design their cameras for such access the Kasa line was not.  That is why the Tapo line is suggested.  That was part of the design.  I will say that we can't say never but at this time we have to say there are no plans to add it.  That is about as of an official response as we can provide.  

3.  Camera logetivity.  I am not quite understanding about what you are refering to here.  The only thing on a Kasa Camera that ends after 2 years is the Free Kasa Care plan and the device's warranty.  Your camera being a 24/7 SD-card model you do not have access to the free Kasa Care plan as that is only on models with no SD-card slot, so the only thing for you that would end in 2-years is the warranty.  The camera should last quite a long time under normal circumstances.  

4. Downloads:  I addressed this in response 1.  Downloads right now are only available by physically removing the card and downloading to a PC directly through a reader. This was not something i was aware of until recently and I have inquired if this will eventually be added.  Though I can't say for certain.  

I hope this helps but let me know if I can answer anything else for you,

Options