Smart actions more than 3 active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart actions more than 3 active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
193 Reply
Re:Smart actions more than 3 active
2020-07-09 18:22:03

Piling on - this is silly.

Mine are going back if there's nothing very soon.

Options
2020-07-13 06:57:26

@Carl 

It's been a while.  I don't see why there is a limit.  Shouldn't this have been fixed by now?  My entire home is fitted with Kasa smart light switches and plugs.  I can't recommend Kasa to anyone until this gets fixed.  I am also looking to buy another home in the near future.  I'll be looking at other brands.

Options
2020-07-13 18:50:59

@rickneworleans 

Hi Rick.  The team has been looking into this but their 1st priortiy was to make sure all current Kasa products were compatible 1st.  That is just about complete and then I am confident we will have word on Smart Action expansion shortly after.  

Options
2020-07-14 00:41:56 - last edited 2020-07-14 00:51:47

Carl, thanks for the concern. IMO, the restriction of 3 smart actions and the inability to use TP-Link switches as IFTTT triggers is a serious competitive problem for TP-Link, and I'm not sure your company realizes this. Your competitors, specifically Wemo, offer this capability with IFTTT now, and have for a while. As this becomes common knowledge more and more, you're going to lose market share. What you really need to be worried about is if or when Wyze introduces a range of competitive switches (they already offer plugs), which is a very likely move, and probably with full IFTTT capability from the product launch. Time to sound some alarm bells at TP-Link.

Options
2020-07-17 22:59:10 - last edited 2020-07-17 23:02:33

Thanks for working on this. The function is great, and would love for the option to automatically turn things off to be applied to at least bathroom fans so you don't have to remember to turn them off as well as many other items using switches and plugs.  I guess I will have to limit this function to only my most frequently used spaces for now. 

Even if we could apply a rule (such as when any of the following devices is turned on... And select all fans... they automatically turn off after x minutes) then it would be a single rule that multiple devices would be able to follow?

Thanks again!

Options
2020-07-18 20:36:37

If you get a Deco M9 Plus it has a built in smart home router which allows for automation (smart actions).  You can also integrate other smart home devices like locks and motion detectors!   Plus you get killer wifi for your home.  

Ryan

Options
2020-08-09 19:08:05

@Carl 

I just spent several hundred dollars on Kasa/TP Link equipment and have just installed the equipment in my 4th room. Came here to find out why there would be a limitation like only 3 smart actions? I need to know if this is something that is going to be fixrd really soon (or full trigger implementation for IFTTT) or I need to rip out everything I have done and send back to Amazon with a bad review. You either need to be in the smart home business or not, I didn't know I was buying a beta product with limited or crippled functionality. If you aren't the person to complain to then please share who that would be. Thanks. 

Options
2020-08-10 19:26:26

@scotthay 

We field all complaints and concerns and work internally with the teams to get answers.  3 active smart actions is a point of contention, as you can see and we are working with the team to improve the service.   Up to this point the focus has been adding compatiblity with kasa devices.  Then increasing by some means the active smart actions is next.  When its comes to IFTTT full deployment as with anything 3rd party related there are cost involved with IFTTT those cost to full deploy do not make business sense. The Kasa products are not Beta products but I will point out that Smart Actions was not an orginal feature or even an advertised one.  It is something that was added to improve value of the brand and products and is still fairly new only being around for about 1 year.  New services do take time to devlop, adopt and expand all I can say is bare with us I am sure the service will be expanded in the near future. 

Options
2020-08-11 15:33:36

@Carl thanks for the informative response, we all appreciate that TP-Link reads these forums and responds to questions and concerns. 

We're encouraged to hear that Smart Actions will be expanded and that work is in progress. With regard to IFTTT capabilities (specifically, IFTTT trigger support), I strongly urge TP-Link to reconsider it's position. The issue here is of competition. Wemo supports this capability, and as the smart home market is still evolving, people are at an early enough stage of adoption to be able to economically switch from one supplier to another. Other manufacturers are being very aggressive in this market at expanding their product base and capabilities, and at a low price poing. Wyze is an example, they currently have smart plugs and are expanding their product base to include thermostats, video doorbells, etc. Retaining brand loyalty is worth the cost to TP-Link of implementing full IFTTT support. Personally, I'd much prefer to buy TP-Link products as I've found them to be high quality and a minimum of trouble to use. 

Again, thanks for your interest and responsiveness. 

Options
2020-08-11 18:48:38

@pbanders 

I will forward your request up to the team, but based on previous conversation it just simply isn't in the cards with us being a buisness we are subject to the volume pricing plans, and while we know customers would like full deployment, the cost based on this volume pricing was not condusive to buisness.  In fact we have completely removed our router platform from IFTTT as of the end of last month.  We are looking at ways to add value and features that do make buisness sense all we can ask is that our customer bear with us as we work out the details.  When we are able to expand current features or add new features we will make an official annoucement here for everyone to see. 

Best Regards 

Options