Smart actions more than 3 active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart actions more than 3 active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
193 Reply
Re:Smart actions more than 3 active
2020-10-26 18:32:12

@NotCarmen Like a lot of people on this thread, I was extremely dismayed to find that only 3 smart actions could be on at once. I purchased Kasa smart plugs for an art installation which uses 8 fans for inflatable sculptures, so I needed to enable 8 smart actions at once. I really hope tp-link works on this. The limitation seems arbitrary and I never would have chosen Kasa if I knew I could only use 3 smart actions.

However, I did use the workaround that you suggested for the installation and, while inconvinient, it worked. I created three different Kasa accounts and controlled two or three devices with each account. So, thank you for this suggestion. 

Options
2020-10-26 18:51:07

@SkyBird In my opinion, if you will connect your Kasa account to Smartthings, you will be much happier.  You then only need to go to once place to manage it.  Much easier than creating three Kasa accounts.  You don't need any extra devices for this either.  You do not need a smart hub.  You can have as many automations as you want.  I will also say that I think the automations are faster in Smarthings than in the Kasa app.  For some reason, there is a bit of a delay when running a smart action through Kasa, but there is virtually no delay when running through Smartthings.

Options
2020-10-26 23:07:21

@KasaUser005 

KasaUser005 wrote

...You don't need any extra devices for this either.  You do not need a smart hub ...

...so with SmartThings a device is not necessarily required?

Options
2020-10-27 00:25:32

@jayveesea Nope. You can just connect your Kasa account to Smartthings. No hub needed. When you download Smartthings, set up your rooms, then add a device. Look for TPLink Kasa in the brand devices. Connect the accounts. Then add all of the smart actions (automations) that you want. I added a hub after the fact because I wanted a door sensor and a push button. However, I had all of my automation in place before buying the hub..

Options
2020-10-27 00:28:10 - last edited 2020-10-27 00:29:00

Options
2020-10-29 03:30:16

@Carl 

Any word on adding more than 3 smart actions?  I bought a couple and tested them with smart actions (as advertised when I bought them).  Then I bought 33 more, installed them, and now I find this out.  I cannot believe this.  Will you take them back used?  Please let me know a firm timeline or I'll start ripping them out this weekend.  Thank you!  

Options
2020-10-29 15:54:41

@3smartactions 

No as it has been stated before Support does not get time tables on any new or expanded feature.  This is because plans can and often do change.   We will provide an update via an official annoucement as soon as we are given confrimed word that is not going to change.   

Options
2020-10-29 17:05:38

@Carl 

Thank you, Carl.  Would you kindly provide an RMA number so I can return all my devices?  Thank you.  I just bought and installed a bunch of smart switches but only three of them are truly smart.  I'm extremely disappointed to say the least.  

Options
2020-10-29 17:22:28

@3smartactions 

Unfortuently no I cannont.  That is not how our warranties work.  TP-Link can only replace products for defects in materials or workmanship, which this is not covered in as the products are currently working as designed.  For returns, exchanges and refunds you would need to go to the retailer the items were purchased from.  These actions (returns, exchanges and refunds) are subject to the retailers return policies.   

I will also like to hightlight once more that Smart Actions was not orginally a feature available in our smart home products.  When it was first lauched about 1 year ago. its was limited to just 3 actions. in part because we wanted to make sure the service was successful.  During this year we have been working on making the products all compatible with the service.  The team is working on expanding the service limits but that is all we know as of now.  

Options
2020-10-29 19:58:24

@KasaUser005

With SmartThings linked, can you set it up so a light goes off after a certain period of time, say 10 minutes?  Thanks! 

Options