HS103 v.2 smart plug crashes netgear wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-22 05:16:49
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Just got a 2 pack of the wi-fi plug lite's.  going through the setup process gets me to the point were it tries to add the device to the network and reconnect my phone to the original wifi.  that never happens.  it somehow crashes my 2 month old Netgear AX3000 router.  and must be unplugged or factoy reset, as well as the router needs to be reset.

i thought it might be an issue with WPA and WPA2, but i have tried all of that as well.  i could really use some help

Options
19 Reply
Re:HS103 v.2 smart plug crashes netgear wifi
2020-01-22 17:41:21

@jasondabsher 

These are no different than any other client device so they should not be crashing your router.  I would start at the router logs and see what they say possibly even contact netgear to see if there is a known issue with the routers firmware or anything like that.  If for nothing else to rule it out.  the only requirements for our smart plugs are a 2.4GHz network and it needs to be secured with at least WEP but we recommend at the minimum WPA2.  

You can also try turning off AX compatiblity on the 2.4GHz network as AX has been known to cause issues with legacy devices.  We haven't noted any with the smart plugs but again trial and error to rule it out. Start with that and let us know.

Options
2020-01-22 18:39:02

@Carl I have seen a few other people on here that have had the same issues with netgear.  I will try the ax thing tonight when I get home.  I dont know that it crashes it.  But if you run through the setup and it goes to connect to the system.  It will make the wifi on the router cycle on and off In the web ui.  And as soon as you reset or unplug the smart plug it will resume after cycling one more time.  I have tested this for about an entire day trying different solutions.  I love to link products and would really like to use these and not have to return.

Options
2020-04-04 01:44:15

@jasondabsher it crashes my ax3000 as well. Did you solve it?

Thanks!

Options
2020-06-12 18:39:23

I am having the same issue. Has anyone found a resolution? I've tried everything I can think of.

@ZacharyZSun 

Options
2020-06-12 19:42:04

@jasondabsher I am having this same issue with my ASUS Blue Cave wireless router. I get to the step where the plug tries to access the network and it crashed the wireless router. Very annoying. Any clue on what's happening?

Options
2020-06-13 14:08:14

@phiebing So this is interesting. I created a guest WiFi network on my router. I tried to connect that way. It didn't work, and now the plug has a solid amber light. BUT, it didn't crash the router, just the guest SSID. I cannot find the SSID anymore. Absolutely bizarre. 

Options
2020-06-14 03:15:36

@phiebing sorry guys I have still not figured out.  I forgot to return them to Amazon also so I still have them.  I gave up because it just frustrated me so much.  I know tp link wants to maintain that these could no way mess up my router but it will indeed break your wifi anytime you connect it to an ssid.

Options
2020-09-05 04:13:31

@jasondabsher 

So I have the exacxt same issue with a SR905ac router.  As soon as I plug the HS103, it crash my Wifi.  Any solution ?  Should I change this for another model/brand?

Options
2020-09-06 15:39:45

@CptKebec if you have the ability to return them and get something different i would if i were you.  i still have not getten them to work on my network yet.  i still cant belive they havent patched this or hotfixed it in anyt way

Options
2020-09-06 23:01:55

@jasondabsher Having about 30 Kasa devices, four Netgear WiFi routers, half a dozen Negear smart switches, & two Arris WiFi routers, my opinion is the router.  In my case, I have mostly older (10+ yrs) Netgear WiFi routers, which work fine with the Kasa devices.  However, Netgear has a PROVEN history of JUNK firmware, like the time they HARD-CODED the NTP IP address of a Univ. Wisconsin NTP server in one of their consumer network products (how STUPID do you have to be to do that???).  That overloaded the U. Wisconsin server, AND Netgear initially took no responsibility for it. My two Arris routers crash when I enable 5GHz support on both of them (the two channels are nowhere near each other, & the physical separation is about 80 ft).

As a software/firmware developer for 50 years, I can say that the quality of most consumer software/firmware out there, is just above the junk level, OR LOWER.

I have a couple TP-Link pocket/travel routers, & they work fine.  One further argument for using TP-Link routers, is that they are made by the same company that makes Kasa devices.  In the future, when I next need a a good WiFi router, I'm going to try a full TP-Link router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3856

Replies: 19