RE650/AC2600 causes my router to 'reset' once or twice a day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE650/AC2600 causes my router to 'reset' once or twice a day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:RE650/AC2600 causes my router to 'reset' once or twice a day
2020-04-26 20:37:31
Still having issues with router reboots - any updates?
Options
2020-04-27 16:26:45

@spiramira having same issue. I think this unit is a piece of junk. It obviously needs a new firmware written but they won't tell you that! I tried the help chat and it was rediculous. A guy obviously using a tech support company script with no knowledge of the equipment or how to really help you.

Options
2020-04-29 23:03:02

@Carl 

The lack of proper support is getting VERY frustrating.  I'm not the only one with these issues.  Is anyone there to address this properly?  Certainly looks like a firmware upgrade is sorely needed - It failed out of the box.  If this goes on any longer I may contact PC Review to question their highly dubious high rating of this product?!

Options
2020-04-30 00:00:28

@spiramira

This was the first time I was actually tagged so I didn't see any of your previous messages until now.  On a Range Extender the speed is always going to be less that on the router.  This is because a range extender regardless of manufacture runs a half-duplex backhaul.  This means that it can only communicate in 1 direction at a time either to the router or to the client.  Because of this speeds to devices on the Range Extender can be up to 50% less than what the router sees.  This still rings true even using setups like high speed mode or a manual version of it. With that said if your orriginal issue is one of your gateway rebooting what was told to Nikd36 would be the same asnwer we would be able to give you.  The issue is likely not with the extender but how the FIOS gateway recieving the packets from the extender.  Those packets are likely hitting a breaking point in the gateway which is triggering the restart.  We can't resolve that.  You would need to contact the ISP or manufacture of the gateway.     

Options
2020-05-18 18:33:03

Well, after working fine for a couple of months my router once again started resetting about 2 weeks ago. It reset at least 3 times in 2 days. I checked the settings on the extender and it was still set to use 5G on one side and 2.4G on the other. I unplugged the extender and the router problem has stopped. Looks like I'll need to find a different extender.

Options
2020-08-23 16:10:06 - last edited 2020-08-23 16:20:40

@NikD63 

I also have the Verizon Fios G1100 Dual Band Quantum Gateway AC1750 Wireless Wi-Fi Router. Below is a link for configuring High Speed Mode in a dual band Range Extender. My router hasn't been resetting that I am aware of but the connection has definitely been poor since setting up TP-Link AC2600 Wi-Fi extender. I have been reading the comments and I hope this helps myself and others trying to do this and needing a clearer instruction on how to do it.

How to configure High Speed Mode in my dual band Range Extender (new-designed blue UI)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/943/

In the example, they

Connect to the main router on the 2.4GHz band and connect to your devices on the 5GHz band.

so, using @Carl method you would

Connect to the main router on the 5GHz band and connect to your devices on the 2.4GHz band.

Options
2020-08-23 17:03:46 - last edited 2020-08-23 17:50:17

I have actually switched to using the example:

Connect to the main router on the 2.4GHz band and connect to your devices on the 5GHz band.

This is the example they had at https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/943/

The reason is, I am able to set 5 GHz Wireless Channel Selection as "Automatic", instead of having to choose a Manual channel. Before making these changes, I had to set Manual channel setting only on 5 GHz, not the 2.4 GHz channel for some reason, but now can leave both channels set as Automatic on FiOS router. 

I also set my TP-Link AC2600 to auto shutoff at 3:00 am and start-up again at 3:10 am every night of the week to refresh the TP-Link AC2600 and hopefully avoid problems others are having.

UPDATE:

It seems I have to go back to setting the 5 GHz as a Manual channel. When I choose Automatic channel on FiOS router, it currently uses Channel 132 but on the TP-Link AC2600 it uses Channel 36. I don't want this channel "mis-match", so I will go back to Manual channel setting on FiOS router for 5 GHz.

Options