Another: TPlink wont connect to wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Another: TPlink wont connect to wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:Another: TPlink wont connect to wifi
2022-05-01 20:18:58

Don't know if this is the correct forum, but recently upgraded modem/router to a faster one.  Trying to set up the EP10 plugs and no matter what I did, could not complete the process.  Then slowly read the message about what to do and realized FINALLY I had AdGuard installed and active.  It is a VPN and was blocking the setup process.  Disabled the AdGuard VPN and set up three plugs in about 15 minutes.  Had worked for hours and hours, even with technical support of Xfinity, to solve the problem.  But, overnight, when the network name reverted to the previous name, lost all connections.  Then started the re-setup process again and kept failing.  Not wanting to go to Xfinity again (crap shoot to get a savy support person), I kept trying and stumbled, mentally or otherwise, to shutting off the VPN during the setup.  Started up up after setup and all is well.  Hope this help someone.

Options
2022-06-28 04:05:21

Naggert wrote

Hi

I bought a TPlink HS110 but I can't connect it to my home network. I'm fairly certain it's a problem with my own router, but I was hoping for a list of reasons why I might fail.

So far I've tried a few things:

• HS110 can connect to another wifi at another location (the smartplug must work)

• It won't connect from a new android running Oxygen 10
  • It won't connect from older iPad running iOS 13,5
  • It won't connect to our guest wifi (I get an error about it being public and insecure).
  • I've tried reinstalling the app
  • I've tried resetting the swith by pressing the "home" bottom for 10-15 seconds (several times).
  • There's no DNS settings on the router
  • I've tried disabling the 5Ghz band on the router

• There's no password restrictions on the wifi it connects to?

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

I spent over a week trying to find the problem.   I had 5 smart plugs that did not work.  I finally went to the WiFi settings and clicked on the plug I was trying to connect and had I had to disable "WiFi private address" and also "Limit IP Address Tracking."  Some of the plugs took 2 - 4 times trying to connect but they all eventually connected and started working again.

@Naggert 

Options
2022-06-28 04:06:53

@Asheldon I spent over a week trying to find the problem.   I had 5 smart plugs that did not work.  I finally went to the WiFi settings and clicked on the plug I was trying to connect and had I had to disable "WiFi private address" and also "Limit IP Address Tracking."  Some of the plugs took 2 - 4 times trying to connect but they all eventually connected and started working again.

Options
2022-12-09 00:01:05

@Asheldon,

The Private Addressing Setting is a common fix for this behavior, as it attempts to hide your device's MAC address and identity. This means that when you are going through the setup process and your phone disconnects from the plug, the plug will be unable to reconnect to your phone as its address and name have changed.

The IP tracking setting is new to me however. I haven't come across this setting before. Was this a requirement for the device to connect to the network, or did you just disable both at the same time? 

Options
2022-12-20 17:14:16 - last edited 2022-12-20 17:15:10

When you type in your home network name, if you choose to auto complete it (i.e. you have entered it before and your keyboard app finds the name), it will add a space to the end of it.  You need to delete this space before typing in your home network password.

Options