HS103 randomly turns off then immediately back on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS103 randomly turns off then immediately back on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
22 Reply
Re:HS103 randomly turns off then immediately back on
2021-01-29 22:30:36

@T0ddly 

Thank you and others for providing the extra information.

From the information I received so far our support team is investigating this so more information can always help.

Thank you for the offer. I will let them know for sure.

Options
2021-02-03 17:18:02

@Tony Is there an update on this. I have 4 of those plugs (Kasa Smart HS103P4 Plug ) and all of them keeps turning off and back on which is very frustrating. 

Options
2021-02-04 23:24:19

@Rman 

No there is not, but I would highly recommend reaching out to our support team.

Options
2021-02-18 10:46:08 - last edited 2021-02-18 10:47:12

I've fixed this with 100% success and contacted TP-Link to advise them of the steps required however they say they are unable to reproduce :-)

I was using TP-Link Deco mesh wifi with Beam Forming and Fast Roaming switched on.

Fortunately I had an old router knocking about so I created a separate wifi network, 2.4ghz, with no Beam Forming and no Fast Roaming.

Connect the plugs to this new wifi and they NEVER restart now. 100% success over two months.

It's not a fix for the dodgy hardware but it does get you around your issue.

Hope that helps.

Options
2021-02-20 17:58:48 - last edited 2021-02-20 18:11:27

@QWERTYYYY 

I have an omada controlled wifi network. One EAP225 and one EAP225outdoor. 

Just for testing purposes, are you creating only one single SSID from one AP?  I have all of my smart devices connected to a single IoT SSID that only runs on the 2.4 band. How are you able to tell that the plug is trying to hop to a different AP?

I have two switches that are turning on and off, but they are showing a strong wifi connetion to my indoor AP.  I wasn't using Beam Forming and I turned off the Fast Roaming and things seem to have settled down. But I realize as soon as I reply, it will click off. 

OC200, 2x SG-TL3428, T1500G-10MPS, 3x EAP225, Firewalla Gold (replaced ER-605)
Options
2021-02-20 18:29:49

@CoKro 

From the omada web config page you can create another 2.4 ssid.  - I call mine sscustom.

Then from the eap/device configs you can tick ssid override -from memory- or similar and set one ap to sscustomA and the other to sscustomB.  

This is how I forced them to not hop - i assigned the switches to the eap/ssid closest to them.

I also found that if I dedicated an ssid to kasa switches only - even keeping my phone off it resolves it too.

Options
2021-02-20 21:23:27

@T0ddly 

Gotcha. I have a separate 2.4 SSID for IoT devices, so the traffic is minimal to negligable. So far, being connected to that SSID is pretty stable. When they were connected to my main home wifi, they were flickering on and off. 

I'll need to mess with my vlan rules so I can use my Google Home devices (which I treat as media devices on my home wifi) to control the switches on the IoT vlan. Normally I'd make sure they couldn't talk to each other at all, but I can open up the firewall so GH can talk to the switches, but not the other way around.

Options
2021-02-21 00:53:39

@CoKro I thought Google Home talked to the switches via the Kasa server, & not directly.

Options
2021-02-21 01:32:20

@DeanGibson they do normally.  But I try to run all of my home automation routines and schedules through my Hubitat rather Google. 

I don't let the hubitat call out to other cloud services (or outside my lan at all) since it's primarily for zwave and zigbee devices. So currently the hubitat can't talk to the kasa server. Seemed like a good idea at the time. But that was before I had any smart wifi devices. Other than these plugs, everything else I have is zigbee or zwave.

I was trying to learn how vlans worked and isolated all of my different devices, telling myself that it was for security. Home vlan, guest vlan, IoT vlan, IP cameras vlan. And now I've got a tangled web of firewall rules and states and vlans that keep things very separate for no practical purposes other than to frustrate me every time I add a new toy. 

But yes, google absolutely can control the kasa switch if I don't insert myself in the middle and muck it all up. 

Options
2021-05-31 20:13:52

@Tony I have the same problem. Swapping locations, plugging and unplugging won't help. Alexa/google assistant are all working independently fine. 
this issue must be isolated to kasa plugs. TP link must owe it to fix

Options
Related Articles