Cannot Add Device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cannot Add Device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:Cannot Add Device
2021-07-08 00:45:14

@Dasy2k1 

Hello Daisy,

Thank you for the screenshot.  Try to sign out of the Kasa App and sign back in.  You will need you phone to be connected to the home wifi in order to add a device, so make sure you are connected.  Then after that you should be able to add the devices once more. 

Options
2021-07-13 17:29:44

@Bre I'm having this issue and it's really aggravating me. I can only add these things on one phone and I've gotten a new phone and it will not let me add my devices to them. I've removed the devices from the old phone which claims out resets the devices, yet it won't let me add them to the new phone on the app. But I can add them to the old phone app. This is ridiculous. I'm about to demand a refund and go with another company altogether. The fact that this hasn't been replied to work an answer yet is appalling. It's quite simple. It finds the device and goes to add it, then this pops up and basically says nope sorry. Not happening. 

Options
2021-08-27 16:58:05

@Bre I went to Setting -> Apps & notifications -> Kasa -> Permissions (allowed all). Restarted phone and tried again. It worked... i had to switch back and forth between being connected via Wifi to my network then the device then back to my network. 

Options
Re:Cannot Add Device-Solution
2021-11-03 04:39:57 - last edited 2021-11-04 08:44:40

@Bre 

Same problem with HS103.  Follow directions on screen, get as far as my Android phone recognizing the device in the Kasa Smart Ap.  When I click the connect button, or select the only smart plug (that shows a full fan of WiFi connectivity, I think.  It is a foot away) I get the "Something came up. The application has cancelled the request to choose a device." message and I'm stuck.

By the way, best practice is not to whine at the user to provide more details, but to have a better error message in the first place.  It takes very little to provide an error code for you to look up to understand where in the installation the product fails and why.

Edit: I screwed around with this much longer than I should have had to, and discovered that if I manually switched my phone to the plug's Wi-Fi connection in the middle of the device search, and before clicking connect, it avoided the dreaded "Something came up" and registered the device. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-04 08:43:39 - last edited 2021-11-04 08:48:45

@AngryCustomer Thank you for your sharing the solution.  "Something came up. The application has cancelled the request to choose a device."  this seems to be an error from Android  phone itself, not the app, glad to hear that manually connect to Smart Device's Wi-Fi at that time would allow the following setup again.

May I know the model and Android version of your phone, is your Kasa app the latest version 2.35.0.1021, thank you

Options
Related Articles