AC-1750 Internet Disconnect (Ethernet Port)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-25 17:55:08
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

To whom it may concern,

I purchased the Re450 a little over a month ago (October 17th). For the first couple of weeks this extender was exactly what I needed. It performed well, and gave me thereliable speeds I needed. The appeal of this model was the gigabit ethernet port. As someone who uses the internet quite a lot for gaming, I enjoyed the stable connection from the booster to my PC. However, in recent weeks I have noticed that the signal will randomly drop from the extender to my PC. This drop, however, is isolated to the ethernet port. During the drops, all led lights on the extender remain blue and the actual router still has internet. I am curious if this is a common issue with the extender, and am also hoping someone, be it employee or customer, has a solution for this specific issue.

Thank you kindly for reading this, if you have, and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Options
4 Reply
Re:AC-1750 Internet Disconnect (Ethernet Port)
2020-11-25 23:12:14

@neighborcarl 

Hi,

For an optimal experience with your WiFi extender, we first recommend ensuring the extender's firmware is fully up to date, as instructed in our FAQ here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1406/

Another recommendation is to ensure your router's 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals (whichever you are extending) are sufficiently strong and stable at the extender's current location, and are not being obstructed by environmental sources of interference. 

Trying another Gigabit Ethernet cable (CAT5e or above) is also worth a shot, to rule out the cable being an issue.

Options
2020-11-27 11:11:12

@Ryan 

Thank you for your quick response! I hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving (if you celebrate)!

I just downloaded and installed the latest firmware update (it seemed mine was on the 1.0.4 build) So I will give it a couple of days and see if there are any drops. As for the placement and stability of signal, the extender is placed in my room (which is halfway between the router and my PC) and the signals are never dropped via the wifi (if the ethernet port drops the internet, I can switch to the wifi signals and they work fine, though slower) so the signals are stable. As I mentioned in the previous post, the led indicators are always blue as well, they never drop or turn red when the ethernet port drops the connection.

The cable also *shouldn't* be the issue as it is a CAT-5e and has been used to directly connect to my router in the previous year, I moved so don't have direct access to the router anymore :( , and there were never any issues. I will try a different cable if the firmware update doesn't help and will keep you posted. 

Thank you again for you help thus far!

Options
2020-11-28 11:25:18

@Ryan 

After updating the firmware, and trying a different cable, the internet still drops from the ethernet port at random. Again, all of the led status lights remain blue and I am sure that the actual router itself is still receiving internet.

Any further help with this issue would be appreciated.

Options
2020-11-30 22:19:53

@neighborcarl 

Thanks for taking the time to perform these steps and confirm the outcome, it really helps us better understand the situation and pinpoint the issue. In your case, it may be that the Ethernet port on the unit is beginning to prematurely fail, so it is recommended that you first register your RE450 using the steps outlined in our FAQ here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2602/

Note: If you would like, you can conveniently use the same account that you created for the TP-Link Community Forum to register your product.

Once registered, please let us know so we can provide follow up assistance.

If you would like immediate assistance, or if you have any questions about the registration process, feel free to contact our live support team directly using any of the options here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support/. If you would prefer phone support as opposed to live chat, you can click on "Live Support", then scroll down and click on "More Options" to find support hotline resources.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 613

Replies: 4