HS220 V2 Constant Reboot after connected to WiFi; New Installation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-05 01:00:21 - last edited 2023-10-06 23:07:19
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Hi all,

I commented on an old thread but wanted to start a new one to see if anyone has a solution. I have 2 new HS220 dimmers. Both are exhibiting the same constant rebooting flaw.  I've double checked my wiring and all connections are to the correct lines (ground, neutral, hot/line, load). I double checked neutral and ground lines are making good contact and secure with wire nut.

After a long chat session with TP-Link support, we're going to try them in a different single pole switch. Until i get to do that tomorrow, I did a factory reset. Surprisingly, the switches work just fine NOT setup to wifi. With the green/amber flash of the wifi logo in the out-of-box state, the switch and dimmer functions correctly as expected and the switches do not constantly reboot.

All goes haywire as soon as they are connected to my Wireless network. Now like many others, I have several other TP Link Kasa smart gear. I have two Smart Plugs and 4 HS220 HW Ver 1 smart dimmers. Additionally I have an indoor and outdoor TP Link Kasa Cameras. All have worked flawlessly on network.

Network is a 4 access point system, TP-Link EAP245 (3x V1 and 1x V3 HW) Wireless Access points, powered by an 8 Port TP-Link POE Switch. Router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P. 

I saw in another thread where someone has HS220 V2 issues when connected to the same network as an LG TV. I don't have any LG but I do have 3 TCL Roku TVs. 

I'm going to try to connect them to a different wireless network all together (hotspot'ed iphone) to see if it is indeed the network they're connecting to that is the issue. 

If anyone has any suggestions or insights I'm game to try. House is only 2 years old so its very modern wiring.

Thanks!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:HS220 V2 Constant Reboot after connected to WiFi; New Installation-Solution
2020-12-05 14:01:19 - last edited 2020-12-09 06:10:29

@Trifsterpsu @Tony 

Final Update: Issue completely resolved, HS220 Dimmer Switches are properly configured on main house wifi.  

Resolution: Update Homebridge Server and Plugin "homebridge-tplink-smarthome" to a current version. The plugin has been updated by the developer to resolve this discovery issue causing the HS220 to reboot. 

Recommendation: TP-Link Engineers understand why the HS220 was rebooting on certain discovery operations by the homebridge plugin. This amounts to a Denial of Service (DOS) attack and if there are underlying security issue with response to certain UDP/TCP packets they may want to seek to update the HS220 V2 firmware further to mitigate malicious use of this denial of service defect.

Additionally, Customer service reps should be alerted that constant reboots to HS220 V2 w/ Fw. 1.0.3 after the wifi connection portion of setup can be related to Homebridge tplink smarthome plugin discovery or another rogue discovery process by other devices on the network. 

Good Luck,

Trifster

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-04-23 22:58:42 - last edited 2021-09-22 05:45:00
Recommended Solution
Options
22 Reply
Re:HS220 V2 Constant Reboot after connected to WiFi; New Installation
2020-12-05 01:44:01 - last edited 2020-12-05 01:46:09

UPDATE: I reconnected one of the switches to my iPhone as a hotspot. The switch performed exactly as it should with no reboot issues. Setup was perfect through a different iPhone in the Kasa app. This was the first time I was able to complete the setup (including updating the firmware) where previously the switch would enter its rebooting phase before the setup could get past the device naming screen. This now points strongly to a network issue with the HS220 V2 and some other device or devices on my network.

Options
2020-12-05 04:11:00
UPDATE2: https://github.com/plasticrake/homebridge-tplink-smarthome/issues/131 I'm running homebridge. This thread suspects the discovery process of homebridge is crashing the HS220 Switch. I'll kill the homebridge server and try again on my main network. TLDR, the HS220 is not properly handling UDP discovery packets and is causing the switch to go into a boot loop.
Options
2020-12-05 14:01:19 - last edited 2020-12-09 06:10:29

@Trifsterpsu @Tony 

Final Update: Issue completely resolved, HS220 Dimmer Switches are properly configured on main house wifi.  

Resolution: Update Homebridge Server and Plugin "homebridge-tplink-smarthome" to a current version. The plugin has been updated by the developer to resolve this discovery issue causing the HS220 to reboot. 

Recommendation: TP-Link Engineers understand why the HS220 was rebooting on certain discovery operations by the homebridge plugin. This amounts to a Denial of Service (DOS) attack and if there are underlying security issue with response to certain UDP/TCP packets they may want to seek to update the HS220 V2 firmware further to mitigate malicious use of this denial of service defect.

Additionally, Customer service reps should be alerted that constant reboots to HS220 V2 w/ Fw. 1.0.3 after the wifi connection portion of setup can be related to Homebridge tplink smarthome plugin discovery or another rogue discovery process by other devices on the network. 

Good Luck,

Trifster

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-09 06:41:57

@Trifsterpsu 

Thank you very much for sharing heartheart

And it would be very useful for further assistance.

Options
2021-02-06 21:18:25

@TP-Link 

Having same reset problem with 3 new HS220s V2.0 FW:1.0.5 bought from Amazon in late November and just able to install yesterday.  Noticed that ALL three continually reset (turning switched lights ON/OFF with amber and multiple green signal lights) when I turn ON my Samsung TV (Model UN55NU800D).  Have other HS200 and HS210 switches with no problems. Have two other Samsung TVs (Models: UN43NU6950 & UN50KU6300F) that DO NOT inflict the same issue on the HS220s.  Please advise regarding fix.

Options
2021-02-26 01:08:57 - last edited 2021-02-26 02:45:09

@Trifsterpsu 

Almost the identical issue and still can't resolve it.   I have two HS220 dimmers that were installed in December of 2020 and have worked without issue until Mid February when suddenly both dimmers became unresponsive.  The buttons on the dimmer do not work at all except for the restart button.   The dimmer is either stuck on or stuck off.  If you restart it, the buttons work for about 5 seconds.   In the app, the devices show as unreachable.  I have other Kasa devices on my network that are unaffected (2x HS300 and 3 HS105).  Most importantly, the reset button doesn't even work so you can't even disconnect them to start over.   I replaced one of the failed dimmers and it worked locally until I tried to add it to the app.  It joined the wifi network and then failed at the naming stage.  It then exhibited the same problems as the first two dimmers.   It's ridiculous to me that a failed wifi connection should cause the buttons on the front of the dimmer not to work.  

What I've tried.  

I've tried to factory reset the dimmers but the reset button does not seem to work.   I attempted to update the firmware on the dimmers by restarting them and then updating the firmware as they booted up.  The app reported that this worked but there is no way to confirm since the devices are unreachable most of the time in the app.  I've tried separating my wifi setup into 2G and 5G networks but that does not seem to correct the problem.   

Update:  After I posted the above. I figured out that if I completely shutdown my wifi the dimmers would revert to local usage.  Once they were in local mode, the buttons (including the reset) started to work.  So I reset the dimmers and re-enabled my wifi.   The dimmers work perfectly as local dimmers not connected to any wifi.  So now I'm left guessing what esoteric setting in my wifi setup is locking up these dimmers.  

Anyone have other suggestions before I scrap these dimmers?   

Options
2021-02-26 03:16:52

@gotliebk 

try to connect to a new WiFi network with zero other devices. Your WiFi guest network may work. I hotspotted my iPhone. Connect the switches as the only device to this new WiFi network. This is temporary. After they are setup and working update the firmware. reset again and connect to normal home WiFi network. Hopefully they stay working. 

if you are running a home bridge server, update the Kasa smart tp link plugin. 

Options
2021-03-07 01:31:40
Have the same issue and using Homebridge with tp link plugin (updated to most recent versions). There was 2 other threads about this which I replied to today but seems that mods have deleted the posts which is very suspicious. Anyways even with the newest version of the plug-in and Homebridge, my hs200 and hs220’s are randomly rebooting. Tried logging out of the kasa smart app just incase it was the root cause but still the same. I have multiple other smart switches which works fine. Bought a boat load of switches and was planning to swap out all my switches to kasa as I love the look and wanted to keep it consistent but so far not looking good. Before I return these, I’m gonna provision a new vlan to segregate the kasa switches and see if I can capture what’s causing these reboots thru a network monitor. Seems that maybe it’s some UDP broadcast that could be causing them to restart. I have so many smart devices at home, this is gonna be challenging lol. Hopefully tplink releases a fix soon as I really want to keep these switches
Options
2021-03-07 04:27:18

Issue resolved finally!

I was too lazy to capture network packets so instead I started with just a new vlan for kasa devices with routing to all other networks. Having it on a different subnet totally fixed the issue! One thing I did was provision a new ssid with only 2.4ghs since it will be dedicated to kasa devices only!

perfect now I can continue installing and swapping all my switches in the house :) 

Options
2021-04-23 22:58:42 - last edited 2021-09-22 05:45:00
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 6036

Replies: 22

Related Articles