HS220 V2 Constant Reboot after connected to WiFi; New Installation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS220 V2 Constant Reboot after connected to WiFi; New Installation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
22 Reply
Re:HS220 V2 Constant Reboot after connected to WiFi; New Installation
2021-04-23 23:51:23 - last edited 2021-04-23 23:55:41

@Tony just a quick extra note on executing these patches:

I unzipped the HS210 package and executed the main.exe program, then 'Scan' 

The Scan actually found ALL my Kasa TPLink devices 

So what to do then is highlight the particular device per the type that matches the firmware and then upgrade 

Repeat for each one of that type. 

Then go back to your other upgrade program (in my case the HS220) and repeat the process. 

(I'll actually hold off on updating the HS220's - I don't actually have the rebooting problem but wanted to see the update process at work - will update the others when the final release is published. My general recommendation regarding ANY firmware upgrade, especially a BETA, is to hold off UNLESS you currently are experiencing the issue that the BETA addresses) 

Very simple process - took only a few mins

You can see in image below the first HS210 highlighted

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-06-04 05:43:04

@Bethel.8009 @Tony 

My HS220 will not connect to any network.

I've attempted to connect my PC to the HS220's Wi-Fi network directly and use the Device Upgrade Tool V1.3 to upgrade the firmware. I can discover the device at that point, but the upgrade fails with Download status 5 and/or 6.

I can see it is running firmware version 1.0.4 and I'm unable to upgrade it in the app either. I've also attempted to setup the device on an alternative Wi-Fi network with no luck.

Options
2021-08-29 02:13:07
OK, I had this EXACT issue. Bottomline is the firmware is flawed from the factory. So, because the HS220 will not reset properly and continuously reboots, you need to shutdown your WIFI. After that, you should be able to reset them. Blinking orange and gree. So, connect them to your hotspot on your another phone and use yoru phone with the KASA app to connect them. Basically your phone and the HS220 are WIFI clients on a 3rd phone's hotspot. Then update the firmware after the setup. Then you can reset them by holding the reset button until it blink orange and green. Then run the setup again on your phone with the KASA app and connect them to the correct WIFI, not the hotspot. and it works! Hope this helps someone as I spent like 3 hours messing with this...
Options
2021-11-28 00:36:51
Thank you @topnotchit! This is the solution that fixed our setup issue. In fact, the switch auto-updated to the correct firmware edition once we were able to get it set up, using the double hotspot situation. We didn't have to use the Windows update tool to upgrade the firmware. However - we got fully completely stuck with the first switch that we purchased. We didn't know about the nonstop rebooting bug, and went through the setup wizard, which failed at the end of course, and got stuck in the endless reboot loop. The reset button never worked for us for this switch - it was rebooting every 10-15 seconds, which was too soon for the factory reset to take over even after we turned off the offending wifi router (an Xfinity cable modem). We ended up returning that switch and replacing it with another. With the replacement one, we skipped the normal setup and went straight to these instructions straight out of the box (using the hotspot). This way the firmware updated and it prevented any reboot loop problems. This was one of the more awful setup experiences I have had with a smart home device. Personally, I hope TP-Link offers rebates or refunds to all of us that had to hack our devices online properly.
Options
2021-12-06 17:25:35
POTENTIAL SOLUTION Hello, I recently had the same issue. I had 4 smart dimmers (HS220) and a power switch (HS300) that started to give me a lot of problems. They were never "available" on the app and constantly looking for the connection, blinking green. Basically they could not be used. I looked quite a bit online and I found several posts here on the forum with similar problems (I posted this in a couple of different threads to reach more people). The common solution I found was to update the firmware to the beta version provided, using the tool linked in those pages. Unfortunately for me the upgrade never worked and I was stucked with the situation. After playing around a lot with both the devices and the network, the conclusion was the problem was the network and not the devices. Playing more (wifi analyzers, static IPs, optimal channels, etc.)  eventually led me to the solution (for me at least). I realized that my phone was causing the problem (Samsung S20). When I moved my phone to the 5Ghz only (leaving all the Kasa devices on the 2.4Ghz), all the devices connected quickly and worked perfectly. Then my wife got home, and as soon as she got in, the switches started to flash the green light. I moved her phone to the 5Ghz network too, but the problem remained. Then I noticed on her phone (iphone) that under the connection settings, there is an option for "private (MAC) address" selected. Deactivating that option, restored all the devices to a perfect working conditions. Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to share with other a simple potential solution that doesn't involve flashing new (beta) firmware. I don't know why this trick makes them working properly, but it does. I woulf like to ask peoplento try and let us know. Thanks SOLUTION: - keep all the phones on the 5Ghz network (with different SSID) - on iPhones, deselect the "provate address" option under the wifi settings
Options
2022-01-11 05:24:00

@Trifsterpsu I belive I am having the same issues that you had. What is homebridge and how do i run it?

Thanks, 

98DrQueens

Options
2022-06-16 18:10:58

@Tony Is this still the recommended solution? Has there been a newer firmware released for these devices? 

Options
2022-10-07 12:54:37

@Trifsterpsu 

I have the same issue, the only difference is the hardware version of my switches is v 3.0.

Super frustrating as I am now tearing down my network which works with other devices flawlessly. Firmware for my v 3.0 switches is 1.0.3.

Options
2022-10-31 15:55:38
I'm experiencing the same issues on a couple of v3.0 switches too. I was able to track the problem down to my Netgear Nighthawk router, specifically the DHCP server. Using an old Orange Pi device to run the DHCP server instead of the router solved it for me. I also have some older v2.0 switches running as well and they don't have that problem at all.
Options
2022-10-31 22:08:04

@niddam I'm glad you found a solution - I have not.  My DHCP server is my Edgerouter and I have no intentions of replacing it.  There is zero reason these dimmers should have an issue with a standard 2.4ghz network.

For the sake of comparison, I bought a different switch from a competitor which exhibits no issues.

Options