HS220 slow coming on

HS220 slow coming on

HS220 slow coming on
HS220 slow coming on
2020-12-18 19:37:03 - last edited 2022-01-25 08:25:03
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

Is there a way to make the HS220 turn on faster when physically pressing the switch? Currently it takes about 2 seconds to start turning on, plus the fade time. I set it to instant on in my app, which doesn't seem to affect anything, as it still fades on and has the additional delay before that.

This is a safety issue, because a light switch needs to turn on instantly when pressed, period. They figured this out in, what, the late 1800s? So why is this switch so slow to turn on? This is the case with both of my dimmer HS220s. My regular non-dimming Kasa switches seem to turn on instantly.

If there is no way to fix this, I think these should be recalled because, again, it's a safety issue. If there is an emergency, nobody has time to play around with the switch to figure out how to get it on. Also, in the dark, elderly (and really anyone) are more likely to trip on things because the light didn't come on as expected.

Also, I'd like for TP-Link to provide an explaination as to why the switch was designed this way and why people's safety is less important than...wait, why doesn't it just turn on, for gods sake?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS220 slow coming on-Solution
2021-11-09 08:54:38 - last edited 2023-03-31 09:53:38

Update on March 31, 2023.

Hey everyone,

We appreciate your feedback and advice in regard to the HS220 dimmer switch which helps to improve our product.  Here is a summary for this topic that may help  clear up the possible confusion for users newly coming here in the community: 

Q: Why there is a small delay to light up when clicking the HS220's physical button manually?

A:   HS220 has the function of single-click and double-click, so the action cannot be executed immediately after the single-click. It has to wait for a period of time to confirm that the user would not double-click before the action of single-clicking is executed.  So when the user clicks the button, there will be a little delay.

Workaround (allows 'Instant ON' via double-tap through APP) : set the 'Instant On' for the 'Double Tap' so that the switch will be on instantly with a double click 

Solution/ Fix : 

HS220 V3:  Please update the firmware to the latest one via the Kasa app, and below is the instruction. The current official firmware version(1.0.8 Build 220826) or later firmware has optimized the performance of the HS220.
How to update firmware of Kasa smart devices

Beta firmware for HS220 V2:  https://static.tp-link.com/upload/beta/2021/202111/20211102/Upgrade_Instruction.zip

Beta firmware for HS220 V1:  Upgrade_Instruction_HS220_V1_Optimized_smart_dimmer

Note:1. Ensure you have reviewed the Terms and Conditions for TP-Link Beta Firmware before trying this beta firmware:
2. please identify the device hardware version (Kasa app Device -> settings) before updating the beta, beta is for HS220 V1 and V2 only.

3. MAC computer users may have trouble installing the beta. It is recommended to try on a Windows computer or wait for the HS220 official firmware (ETA not confirmed).  If Upgrade Tool reports any error on Windows, you may temporarily turn Windows firewall or security software off. 

Feel free to let us know for any further feedback, thank you!

Recommended Solution
Options
83 Reply
Re:HS220 slow coming on
2020-12-19 17:55:54

@DBKAsa Following up on this, I have contacted support chat (very very slow and unknowledgeable). They have no answer. "rearrange the wiring", they said. How idiotic. The light WORKS, it's just slow. Rearranging the wiring will make the light not work, as electricity will no longer flow to the switch.

If anyone else here knows a solution for the issue, I'd love to hear it. Thanks and good luck to anyone with this defective product. I'll be posting reviews on Amazon and anywhere else I can think of about this situation.

Options
2020-12-23 23:11:18

@DBKAsa Had to sign up for an account just to confirm I experience this too. Way too slow on single tap. And what's absurd is that setting the double tap to instant actually does what you'd expect: near instantly turns on and off. Is this an oversight? Is it new with a firmware update? I can't seem to find anything about this anywhere else 

Options
2020-12-23 23:23:26

@Tim8480 It's definitely an oversight, and a big one. Somewhere else on this forum is a post where the user says they experienced it with hardware v2, but not v1.8. So I think it's a hardware revision, not firmware. That said, if it could be fixed by firmware that'd be great. Still, we should at least be able to recieve replacements.

Options
2020-12-24 00:00:46

@DBKAsa If only support had a clue. I mean "try changing the wires around" is literally the craziest thing a phone support person has ever told me. Yes, I'll risk my life by randomly changing some wires around to just "see if it works". Unbelievable. The unfortunate side of companies not based in the US is that there's no consequence for negligence...even if I literally shocked myself to death trying what they told me to.

Options
2020-12-26 04:22:50

@DBKAsa the fact that I can set "double tap" to "instant on/off" and the light IMMEDIATELY responds is a testament to the fact that it's possible to skip the single-tap delay. Unfortunately, doing so seems to instantly set the dimmer setting to max brightness? That can't be right? Your support story is hilarious by the way. 

Options
2021-01-06 21:28:48 - last edited 2021-01-06 21:30:17

@DBKAsa I have h/w 1.0 with f/w 1.5.11 and h/w 2.0 with f/w 1.0.4. All exhibit the same slow to turn on behavior. Tried messing with the minmum dimmed level calibration thinking it might've been something to do with that but it made no difference. 

Pressing "on" via the app has a shorter lag than the physical button....

Options
2021-01-08 00:28:12

@DBKAsa 

h/w 2.0

f/w 1.0.5 (recently updated through the app)

I am experiencing the same issue as pointed out by everyone here and am very frustrated.  Hopefully tp-link can give us a fix through firmware update.

Options
2021-01-20 13:44:14 - last edited 2021-01-20 19:28:05

@DBKAsa @JohnnyBoy22  @eneka  @Tim8480 

I figured it out (they do it on purpose)!

Here's the reply I got from support:

"HS220 has the function of single-click and double-click, so the action cannot be executed immediately after the single-click. It has to wait for a period of timeout to confirm that the user would not double-click before the action of single-clicking is executed.  So when the user clicks the button, there will be a little delay."

I tried setting the double tap action to NONE in the Kasa App settings, but the delay persists. Seems like the switch checks for double tap regardless of whether there's an action associated with it. That seems needless if double tap isn't being used (and I doubt most people probably use enough to merit this trade off for everyone else). 

I've asked the support rep to forward my feedback along to the engineering team.

If you're finding this thread via Google, please email tplink support (support.ca@tp-link.com) , ask for that delay to be removed, and forward them to this thread.

Would be great to get this fixed, but it won't be unless they hear about it enough!
Options
2021-02-06 06:08:49

@DBKAsa 

Like @Park_29487 suggested, I sent them and email and I got a similar response. The delay is because switch is waiting to see if you're going to double tap.

The workaround they have me is:
"If you want the switch to respond immediately, you can set double-tap instant on/off..." "...as long as you double-tap it, it will respond immediately, but sorry, there is currently no setting for single-tap instant response, and we will give feedback to relevant departments."

Options
2021-10-28 23:19:41

@DBKAsa 

The solution to this is a simple fix that I cannot understand why it hasn't been implemented.

The understandable claim by TP-Link support is that the switch must first confirm that the activity is not a long press or double tap before treating it like a single press.   Sure, that takes time and it makes sense.

However, if both double tap and long press have been set to "None" in the app, effectively disabling them, then the logic should be to not require and wait for a confirmation of which activity occured. If the only viable option is single tap, then treat all activity as a single tap.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 8

Views: 15017

Replies: 83