HS220 slow coming on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS220 slow coming on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
83 Reply
Re:HS220 slow coming on
2021-12-03 07:01:46

@Solla-topee 

Can we get an update on this issue? I have some 30 switches I was about to install in the home. This turn on delay I experienced with the first one is absolutely a deal breaker. I just need to know if the firmware update still planned. That is setting double click to none will allow instant single click functionality. I understand you had some issues during testing. Are they being worked on? Just want to make sure this isn't dropped. Thank you.

Options
2021-12-03 17:31:21

@Solla-topee - I can confirm I have the same delay issue on V1 hardware for HS220.  I have both V1 and V2 hardware throughout my house and they all have the same delay.

Options
2021-12-05 03:04:22 - last edited 2021-12-05 03:06:46

@Solla-topee ,

Apologies for not getting back to your engineers requests to work on the issues I was having with the firmware updater. I had some time this morning and figured it out.

Before I get into that, let me give a quick review of the new firmware now that I was able to upgrade my HS220 dimmers. It's a bit better. If I were to believe that I could accurately measure time in my head in milliseconds, I would say the original delay was about 900ms and with the new firmware it's about 600ms.  That a nice improvement, but not great. Now it's able to control directly wired recessed lighting about as fast as my Aqara remote which vicariously, through Home Assistant, controls a Kasa non-dimmer that is wired to a circuit that ends at a receptacle with a lamp plugged into it.  Better, but not a ringing endorsement. 

What I'm particularly unhappy with is that after setting both Double Tap and Long Press to None in the configuration, the single tap was not instantaneous and not even any speedier than without the config change. I thought that the main purpose of this update was to provide the ability to completely disable the delay by turning off the other action options, no?

Back to installing the firmware updater.  Here's what I had to do:

1. Most of the zip archive expanded with the contents in a non-executable mode. After tweaking one thing after another, I finally just did
    1. chmod +x *

2. Then my Macbook with 10.15.7 and a Core i7 refused to run the Python binary that came with the updater. I ran the file command on it which reported it as a dual i386 and x86_64 compatible binary and I would think that should work. I got tired of trying to get it to work and ran strings on the Python binary to find out which version of Python you were using, 2.7.10.  My /usr/bin/python is 2.7.16, so I did this:

1. $ mv Python Python.orig

2. $ ln -s /usr/bin/python Python

3. Then I executed the updater again

1. $ sh start.command 

The updater ran, it was able to find all of my switches and upgraded.  Just to be clear, Device Info screen in the app reports

• Model HS220
  • Hardware Version 2.0
  • Firmware Version 1.0.8

Is that what it should read?

Options
2021-12-13 01:51:26

@Solla-topee , is anyone from TP-Link still working on this?  Seems like the beta firmware really doesn't fully fix the issue  -- see my beta testing results above.

From reading this forum, it would seem that no one really cares about shortening the delay. I think the community would be most interested in getting rid of the delay entirely by having the option to disable the double-tap and long-press options.  Personally, if it help you to rework the firmware more easily, I'd say get rid of the options and delay altogether.

Options
2021-12-13 01:57:35 - last edited 2021-12-13 01:58:10

@jyg i agree. light switches have worked the same way forever: press the button, get light. That's the expectation we all have with this switch, and no secondary feature should interfere with that - especially something as trivial (and likely unused) as double tap.

If double tap is disabled, turn the light on instantly - no delay!

Options
2021-12-13 03:28:26

What is with all this common sense talk? Everybody wants a two second delay when they turn on a light switch.

Options
2021-12-15 10:08:03 - last edited 2022-03-24 03:45:43

Hello 

and everyone, 

Thank you for your waiting. Here are some update that may help clear the things up: 

1.  There was a ' Double-tap judging time' on switch, which is 500ms for switch to judge if user will do Single-tap/Double-tap. The HS220 V2 beta on #13  turns 'Double-tap judging' off when user set Double Tap as None, thus switch could save 500ms when use Single-tap (Double tap-None).As I checked with our engineer, if bulb takes 0.5s- 0.6s to be turned on,  that is usual and should be acceptable. 

2.  The beta optimization will be contained in HS220 V2 next firmware. The to-be-released firmware need some further test and  ETA of next release is not yet confirmed.

Update for HS200 V1 & V3  3. HS220 V1 and V3 related beta is now released, check Page 1 of this thread

3. Currently, there isn't an Over-The-Air programming to get the beta, but our team has a plan for it.  MAC users may have trouble installing the beta. It is recommended to try on a Windows computer or wait for the official firmware.  If Upgrade Tool reports any error on Windows,  you may temporarily turn Windows firewall or security software off. 

Best regards.

Note: this post will be marked as solution of this thread for more forum users get the information in full more easily and provide further feedback, thank you for your understanding.   

Options
2021-12-16 01:37:47

@Solla-topee 

I have 3 US  HS220 V1 switches. One is not connected because I need a dimmer that turns on faster than these switches, so I replaced it with an Amazon Basics dimmer. Besides that, I am honestly I am not expecting any fixes. This is an issue that has not been addressed for far too long. I would be thrilled if you surprised me by fixing the issue for  HS220 V1 because the Kasa switches have been the most reliable of all the ones I have tried. 

Options
2021-12-16 06:46:20
I just wired my whole house with HS200 V3 switches to be greeted by the surprise that using my phone to turn on the lights is faster than pressing the switch! Who double taps or long presses a switch? I mean seriously we've been using the same thing since 1884, clearly we expect the same results in 2021!
Options
2021-12-17 20:50:08 - last edited 2021-12-17 20:51:42

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for the follow up and trying to get us a fix. But why would a 600 millisecond delay be acceptable? That would still be very noticible. There is 0 delay when double clicking the switch, so this should not be a hardware issue. Why not program the firmware in a way that it is instant like all normal switches since 1900's. None of the other smart switches I tried have this delay (albeit they have other issues and no local home assitant support). Getting a good single tap experience is way more important than allowing double taps which I suspect very few people actually use. And as others have stated, I am OK with having to turn off double click in order to have an instant single click.

Options
Related Articles