AX3200 very sluggish with WIFI enabled

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-27 16:56:23

I installed an AX3200, replacing an older Netgear WIFI router.  Looking to better the WIFI range.  

I hooked up the AX3200 and all seemed well with my lone Ethernet cabled PC.  Next I reconfigured the WIFI ssid and password to match the old configuration.  (I have a half dozen WIFI devices I didn't want to change the WIFI connection on.)  After changing the WIFI settings as mentioned the router became very very sluggish.  Pings to the LAN IP mostly resulted in drops.  Internet was non-usable.  The AX3200's management gui was very sluggish as well.  I turned off the WIFI radio and performance recovered.  I then turned off the Smart Connection feature, where you can use one ssid for all wifi connections, and configured the 2.4ghz (leaving the 5.1s still off) and the sluggishness returned.  Thinking it might need a firmware update, I checked and there isn't one.  So I put my old wifi router back in service and all is back to normal.

I am a retired IT professional, so generally know my way around these devices.  Just seems like there is not enough processing power in this device to handle WIFI requests ...

Please advise ...

(OBTW ,,, AX3200 is not an available option when selecting a "Mode" within this post.)

Options
4 Reply
Re:AX3200 very sluggish with WIFI enabled
2021-01-28 21:27:44

@Harley75 

If you split the devices, some on the 2.4G and some on the 5G are you seeing the same thing?

Where there any other settings enabled/changed other than changing the SSIDs?

Options
2021-01-29 00:59:41

@Tony 

Thank you for responding ....

The 6 devices connecting on the 2.4Ghz require 2.4Ghz.  Several devices are the TP-Link/Kasa switches etc that only work on 2.4Ghz.  After pondering the situation I wonder if I should have let the AX3200 run for a while and maybe it would start working okay after the 6 WIFI devices made/ stabilized their connections.?.  I didn't wait too long before returning to the old router.  All in all this router should be overkill for our small home network.

What else changed from default?

LAN IP

DHCP scope range

Added several DHCP reservations

Added a NAT forward

SSID (the topic of this message)

I have to believe this AX3200 should not be this sluggish, really ever. 

I plan to reconnect and try again after reading some posts/thoughts from others and TP-Link tech support.  So far nothing from my email support ticket to TP-Link directly.

Options
2021-01-29 16:29:07

Update:

I started over with this new AX3200.  Did a factory reset to start as out of the box.  Stepped through my setup that included changing the LAN IP and modifying the DHCP pool.  I left the WIFI settings default.  Left the Internet port disconnected.  I tested WIFI by connecting my iphone with no issues.  I connected the Internet next, checked wifi and all remained okay now being able to get to the Internet.  I then changed the WIFI SSID to my "old" configuration and with no resulting issues with all my existing WIFI devices now able to connect.  Not sure what happened with my initial try, but my second setup attempt appears to be successful. 

Options
2021-01-29 22:15:29

@Harley75 

Thank you for the update. Glad it is working fine, but definitely odd. I would probably speculating defaulting it maybe reset something in the software that wasn't working right.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 929

Replies: 4