Setup TP-Link Archer AX21 Router to Centurylink Fiber Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-10 22:15:35 - last edited 2022-05-05 21:53:44
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello all,

I was able to successfully connect my Archer AX21 WiFi 6 router to Centurylink Fiber. The process is relatively simple, and just requires using a modified Centurylink PPP and a few tweaks to the advanced settings which I found in another thread. I did contact Centurylink to find out that I needed to modify the domain of my PPP username, but this shouldn't be required for anyone else. The setup should be able to be completed using the below and no support from Centurylink (but don't quote me on that).

My successful setup process as follows:

1. Login to existing Centurylink router / modem through http://192.168.0.1/

2. Change domain of PPP username - navigate to 'Quick Setup' and change drop-down to '@qwest.net' and click 'Apply' (only change the drop-down, keep existing Centurylink generated username and password)

3. Shut down Centurylink router > connect ethernet cable (which should be coming from an already configured Centurylink modem) to TP Link router and power on

4. Login to new TP Link GUI by navigating again to http://192.168.0.1/

5. Start quick setup - select PPPoE and enter the PPP username and password from Step 2 above > follow the prompts through setup process

6. After quick setup is complete, update advanced settings (I don't remember if I did this during or after quick setup) - in the left side bar, select 'IPTV/VLAN' > check the box to enable 'IPTV/VLAN' > select 'Custom' in 'Mode' drop-down > input 'Internet VLAN ID: = 201', 'VoIP VLAN ID: 202', and 'IPTV VLAN ID: 203'

7. Enjoy your incredibly fast internet using a WiFi 6 router that you own and paid much less for

Have attached a screenshot of my 'Advanced Settings' page for reference from the TP Link GUI.

Doug

Options
7 Reply
Re:Setup TP-Link Archer AX21 Router to Centurylink Fiber Internet
2021-03-30 19:01:07

@Doughnutz00   is there an easier way to set this router with spectrum right out the box??????

Options
2021-04-17 00:02:09

@Doughnutz00   I only have my fiber box and the TP link router, no separate modem. Did you plug your AX21 directly into the Centurylink fiber box, or did you also have a separate modem?

Options
2021-04-17 16:00:29

@Carriesfishing Correct. AX21 plugs directly into Centurylink fiber box

Options
2021-04-19 21:26:40

@Doughnutz00 You're a lifesaver. This worked! After 3 hours of calls to TP link and Century link helpdesks, I finally looked on the community page. I should have looked here first. I'm going to send this info to TP link to save the next poor person the time. Thanks!

Options
2021-06-24 03:47:47

However, if you have Century link as your DSL provider, be aware that the setup instructions given by TP-Link will get you to a point where you are showing that you have the modem/router set up correctly but you will not receive a signal wirelessly.

How to get rid of curses

Options
2021-07-09 16:44:05

Do you often have problems with your router? I've been having too many problems with Wi-Fi lately.

Options
2021-07-16 21:54:56

@Doughnutz00 If you have Century Link as your DSL provider, be advised that the TP-Link setup instructions will bring you to a point where you can prove that the modem/router is set up successfully, but you will not be able to get a wireless signal.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 3220

Replies: 7