A 3-Way HS210 Installation Tutorial

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A 3-Way HS210 Installation Tutorial

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:A 3-Way HS210 Installation Tutorial
2022-03-15 13:42:54
Yes, everything works as a switch as it should. The status just says off on the switch and app regardless how I turn on/off the light. I’ll try to test on a 3-way switch I have to see if that reports correctly. If nothing else, that could rule out a defect.
Options
2022-03-15 20:35:56

ttiefenbach wrote

Could having the traveler wires reversed on the HS210 cause the app to not report the status properly? I have the HS210 connected to the line side of a 4-way switch setup (3 switches) and it’s functioning properly with manual operation. I can use the app to control the light as well, but the status typically just shows off, even if I use the app to turn it on. I’ve read, putting another HS210 on the load side can fix this, but I don’t see why that’d be required.

@ttiefenbach Reversing the Travelers would not have any impact. Whether 3 way or 4 way, even with only a single switch used (at the Line end) it should still work appropriately to indicate the condition in the App. 
When you turn it ON manually does the indicator LED on the Switch go OFF (as it should)? 

And similarly, when you use the App, what does the LED on the physical switch do? 

Try deleting the device from the App and try re-installing it in that. 

Options
2022-03-15 21:05:25

@DEcosse when I turn it on manually, the LED goes off only while I press the switch.  It turns back on as soon as I let it go, but the lights will stay on.  Using the app, I don't see the LED status change at all.  The status in the app will show ON when I turn it on via the app, but will refresh after a few seconds and show the light OFF again.

My line side is a 3 gang switch box.  The other 2 switches are single pole.  However, the line coming in is then split between those 3 switches (one now being the HS210).  The neutral wires are done the same, as are the ground.  I'm wondering if the HS210 is confused about the load because of the other switches being on the same circuit, although, manually setting those to on/off, had no impact directly on the app's status.

I'll remove the device and re-add in the app as my first test.  If that yeilds no result, I'll pull the switch out and try connecting it without the other 2 switches connected that share the wall box.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to test it on a simple 3-way switch.

if it doesn't work at that point, I think I'd have to assume it's a dud.

Options
2022-03-15 21:20:34
Re-adding the device didn’t fix it. :( I’ll post back when I pull it out and test.
Options
2022-03-16 19:16:09
I removed the HS210 from the 4 way configuration. I installed it on the line side of a 3 way config and the switch and app report the correct status. So, I know the HS210 is not defective. I double checked that I had correctly installed the switch on the line side. I’m reinstalling the switch back there to see if it just fixes itself now. Maybe I had a loose wiring connection or something.
Options
2022-03-16 19:45:46
Still not successful at getting the app or switch to read the correct status in the 4-way config. Swapping the traveler wires made no difference, either, in case someone else wants to know. I guess, for my setup I’ll need the second HS210, unless someone has another idea.
Options
2022-03-17 06:37:15 - last edited 2022-03-17 06:39:28

ttiefenbach wrote

I guess, for my setup I’ll need the second HS210, unless someone has another idea.

@ttiefenbach I definitely have used the HS210 as a single line end switch in a 4-way installation and it worked appropriately; so i know it works in that application, there appears to be something unique about your own installation.

Since you have a common line, with two other switches, it would certainly suggest you have correctly identified the 'line' input end of the chain. What kind of load do you have - is there anything different about that? Is this a particularly low current LED per chance? Just for a test at least, try swapping to a different bulb - maybe incandescent even - and see if that at least changes anything? 

Options
2022-03-17 18:41:21

@DEcosse unfortunately, I don't have other bulbs to test with.  I can tell you what's installed, which is 8-Philips LED BR30 7.2W Bulbs, for a total of 57.6W.  I can't provide an external link to to product, but, if you Google "philips 548107," you should find the right product website. Each bulb has a current of 82 mA.

I installed a second HS210 on the load end and pair them successfully so I'm up and running perfectly now.  Hopefully there's someone who can benefit from our conversion.  Thanks for all your help, and the tutorial!!

Options
2022-04-13 15:02:22

@Bethel.8009 

While not required, the instructions make it sound like it *is* possible to install these on *both* ends of a three-way circuit. In this case, where does the load-side switch get its power from? Would seem like using the traveller would cause it to momentarily lose power every time the switch got flipped, unless there is some sort of internal coupling between the two traveller wires... which could explain why there's voltage on the inactive traveller with these devices? 

Options
2022-04-13 15:29:16 - last edited 2022-04-13 15:31:48

GreekGuy wrote

@Bethel.8009 

..... Would seem like using the traveller would cause it to momentarily lose power every time the switch got flipped, unless there is some sort of internal coupling between the two traveller wires... 

@GreekGuy (I'm same person as Bethel.8009) - I don't know the inner circuitry of the HS210, but it is indeed apparent that for the WiFi and associated switching electronics, that power can be sourced from either of the travelers. 
But again, other than for any aesthetic reason to match up the appearance, it doesn't really make any functional sense to use one at the load end (in my humble opinion) 

Options