A 3-Way HS210 Installation Tutorial

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A 3-Way HS210 Installation Tutorial

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:A 3-Way HS210 Installation Tutorial
2021-05-23 20:05:02 - last edited 2021-05-23 20:06:24

@Bethel.8009 The dimmer would certainly be complicating things, especially if it is at the Line End 

What you show in your image is very atypical 

When a Red wire is involved, it would be with a 3-wire Romex 

And since there is a Red, it suggests the white should normally be a a Neutral (so you really need to see the other end too, to clearly know what is going on) 

The black - does it come from same Romex or from a different one? 

How many wires are in the Traveler Romex? 

It is conceivable I suppose that if all three wires from the same Romex are what are connected to the switch, then potentially the black one is carrying the Load output (or Line input) back to the originating box.  

Again - refer back to my opening post 

The Traveler Romex is ONLY connected to the Switch (with exception of ground and Neutral) at each end, with the Neutral (W) joined to the incoming (Line) Romex Neutral or Output (Load) Neutral 

At each end there would typically be a Line + N or Load +N as a separate Romex. Per the potential scenario at end of the first paragraph, it is also possible that the Line and Load are both in the same box and the Black in this case is carying the Common back to the originating box to connect to the load there. 

I would really need to see inside both boxes clearly illustrating each romex (or just draw out on a pad what you have - even a photo of a pencil scratching is fine) 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-05-23 20:14:55

IF all three wires to that switch in your image all come from the same Romex, then this is the potential scenario I described above: 

And IF that is the case, you cannot use a dimmer in the first position and that is where the HS210 must go (as shown) 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-08-18 14:41:00 - last edited 2021-08-18 14:43:52

@glaze 

I have this exact issue you described with a 3 way and an HS210.  This is not a dimmer setup.  The only solution I came up with was to not use both of the physical dumb switches.  I actually put a piece of clear tape over both of them.  The light setup has worked with the app switch, physical smart switch, smart actions, and Google assistant for over a year now.  As long as the other two dumb switches are not used it works.  If you flip one of the two dumb switches the app switch(software) is confused and stops working along with any smart actions.  I thought this was just some type of issue or limitation with the software and a 3 way switch.

Options
2021-12-26 21:07:18

@Bethel.8009 I found your installation tutorial quite good. My issue is that my lights blink and the switch clicks when I connect it as described. I'm completely puzzled about what's wrong. Any thoughts? 

Options
2021-12-26 21:13:47
I have the same issue you described with blinking lights and a clicking sound. Did you identify the issue?
Options
2022-02-20 22:36:47

@Bethel.8009  This is a great explaination.  Thanks for the time and effort you put into this for the community.   Here's my question:

If I am understanding this correctly the, the 'smart' part of the switch simply detects the flow of current as an idication that the 'load', in my case a light, is on?   How sensitive is that?  I am controlling an outdoor light above my garage with the line end in my kitchen and the 'load' end adjacent to my garage door.  That light though is a new 120V LED and as such doesn't draw very much current. 

I tried another brand in the line position and it didn't work (Amazon Basics') so I've just go this Kasa brand on the way.  Eventually I read that the amazon switch had to be on the side with the 'load' but it wouldn't get power if the main line side wasn't in a certain position despite the fact I could see that it always had power on one of the two travelers.  Returned it.   I've also read that many smart switches require both the line and the load in the same box which I don't have in this case. 

In my case, there are 2 travelers, confusingly black/white, no red for neutral.  I do have a neutral that goes to the box but since there are 2 3-way circuits in the same box, it uses the same neutral as the other 3-way switch that controls my garage interior light.   Yes.  I have 2 3-ways in the same box for the inside garage and outside garage..the traveler is just another 2-wire with ground and they pulled an extra neutral for both 3 ways. 

Anyway, I toned out the lines and am certain I have travelers that are working.  It functions fine with regular old dumb 3-ways and I'm hopeful it will work with this Kasa. 

Thanks. 

Options
2022-03-10 18:32:10

@JDR86 

(I'm actually Bethel8009 - when I set up the Beta Tester account I had to use a new screen name; so DEcosse and Bethel8009 are one and the same :) )

Sorry for late reply - hopefully you have since recieved your HS210 and it all works to your expectation. 

The Traveler Romex does not have to carry a Neutral, and as long as there is a corresponding Neutral for the HS210 and at the light fixture, it should all work. 

Options
2022-03-12 18:00:02
No problem. Indeed these work great. So great I ordered a couple more and will consolidate on this brand. I had the wiring right as I had hoped, it was just that odd requirement of the Amazon switch to have line and load at the same end of the 3-way. This HS210 is very nice. Thanks! Joe
Options
2022-03-15 13:02:22
Could having the traveler wires reversed on the HS210 cause the app to not report the status properly? I have the HS210 connected to the line side of a 4-way switch setup (3 switches) and it’s functioning properly with manual operation. I can use the app to control the light as well, but the status typically just shows off, even if I use the app to turn it on. I’ve read, putting another HS210 on the load side can fix this, but I don’t see why that’d be required.
Options
2022-03-15 13:36:49
That is odd. I wouldn't think that would have any impact at all. So it works exactly right, even the other switches work when the Kasa is of or on, but if the kasa isn't the switch providing power, it doesn't report 'On'? Correct? If you have it in the 'line' position, my believe from this great thread is that it detects current. If the line is connecting power to the Kasa, regardless of traveler orientation, all the power for the light must pass through the kasa and should be detected as 'On'. Maybe you got a dud? Do you have a normal 3-way you can test on or setup a test rig and see if it works? Sorry, seems like you've done it right. You may want to post a bit higher in the forum and get some more ideas.
Options