A 3-Way HS210 Installation Tutorial

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A 3-Way HS210 Installation Tutorial

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:A 3-Way HS210 Installation Tutorial
2022-04-13 17:54:07

@DEcosse On second thought.. probably running off 5V voltage regulator, they could just have a small capacitor on the output of that to maintain voltage while switching circuits.

But, wondering just how the two traveller-based circuits are connected to the regulator? I'm trying to figure out why there is a significant AC voltage on the inactive traveller, and why this voltage isn't causing the light to be on (dimly) when it's switched off. I'm figuring it must be a very low-frequency pulse, not enough cycle time to power up the ballasts on LED bulbs or to heat up the incadescent bulbs.

I would apologize for being off-topic here, but based on my internet searches it looks like there are a lot of people having problems installing these things that aren't related to "not knowing how a 3-way switch works". Amazon reviews show a lot of people who simply conceded that these switches were not intended to show current-state accurately, which I can tell you from personal experience is not the case (I have one circuit where these devices work perfectly as described).

Options
2022-04-13 22:45:21 - last edited 2022-04-13 22:47:08

GreekGuy wrote... I'm trying to figure out why there is a significant AC voltage on the inactive traveller, and why this voltage isn't causing the light to be on (dimly) when it's switched off.

@GreekGuy It's probably simply induced from the actual live wire - same reason as to why, if you pull a dumb single pole switch out of the switch box (with switch off, but breaker still on) and try to determine which is the live and which is the load with your non-contact voltage tester, it will most likely alert that both are live :) It's simply the field effect from the live wire coupling some induced voltage but not capable of supplying any current. (and same principle on how your non-contact voltage sensor works to begin with!) 

Options
2022-04-14 14:16:55

@DEcosse 

I actually had written that I suspected an induced voltage, but it asked me to login again and dropped that (longer) response! 

What's odd is that the induced voltage is different between the two circuits. And that it's a very whole-number amount - when I say it's 60V or 90V, I mean 60.0 and 90.0 (screw-to-ground). Could be a coincidence... but seems unlikely, hence my speculation that it's sending a test ping on what it thinks is in the inactive traveller.

Options