KS230 3 Way Dimmer Secondary Switch not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

KS230 3 Way Dimmer Secondary Switch not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
41 Reply
Re:KS230 3 Way Dimmer Secondary Switch not working
2022-04-15 09:21:07

@Napjeeper Thank you for your improvement suggestions on the 3 way dimmer switch.

If you are interested into 3 way switch ( non-dimmer )  HS210 may work for you. 

Options
[Troubleshooting]:KS230 3 Way Dimmer Secondary Switch not working
2022-04-15 09:34:37 - last edited 2022-04-15 09:42:24

@RetiredJim Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback with KS230 kit,  if the 3 way dimmer can not turn on/ off light when you  manually press the switch, it could be related to the wiring and that need to be checked case by case with the photo of wiring & Led status on the switch,  it is recommended to reach support and provided information requested on  #4 the marked recommended suggestion so our support could help look into further. Thank you

Options
2022-04-15 18:37:18

@Solla-topee I'm aware of your products, but this is the one that's a problem. I need a dimmer and will have to use a different manufacturer.

Options
2022-05-19 04:34:46

Just an FYI to everyone, I originally bought two switches and the first one that I put in had the air that everyone else had where the satellite switch just blinked and didn't do anything. After going through the RMA process I figured what the hell I might as well put in the second switch, and it actually works! It's not the satellite switch that's the issue it's actually the brain I think it's a faulty firmware in the brain and I hope that the switch that they send me back works as well so I can end this whole issue. I hope this helps someone but if you have a switch that doesn't work RMA or return it but if you get a good one it works just as it should.

Options
2022-05-24 02:46:11

Just installed KS230 3 Way, Dimmer, the master switch is working as expected, dims the light connect to WiFi, etc, but the satellite switch has a ring light on it.

Pressing the satellite switch doesn't turn off the lights, or is nonfunctional in other words. Doubled checked traveler wires multiple times they all look good.

Please help.

Options
2022-06-21 16:14:27

@DimerGo22 

This may be helpful:

I am having the same issue as above:

- Master switch works correctly, no issues.

- Satellite switch will turn lights on but will not turn them off.

- Satellite switch brightness adjustment does not function while at max brightness.

- When setting the brightness to 75% in the app satellite switch works correctly, however if you use the satellite switch to increase brightness it will stop working.

Observations With Satellite Switch at Max Brightness:

- Switch will randomly succeed to turn lights off if pressed quickly many times.

- Switch seems to have higher chance of success turning the light off if given a longer press.

- Switch will, somewhat consistantly, turn lights off when pressing the brightness up button.

Troubleshooting Info:

- Switched, one at a time, both master and satellite switch with another KS230KIT which was working fine. Problem persisted in the same way.

- These switches are replacing an existing dumb 3 way dimmer, wiring is all correct.

- Hardware Version 1.0 / Firmware Version 1.0.14

- Switches are powering two chandeliers with a total of x12 40W Incadencent E12 bulbs.

- Satellite switch works correctly when unscrewing 8 of 12 bulbs.

My Analysis:

Satellite switch stops working when the circuit reaches a certain wattage. When wattage is reduced either by dimming or unscrewing bulbs the switch works correctly.

I am going to be replacing all twelve 40W bulbs with 4W LED bulbs, hopefully this resolves my issue.

TP-Link needs to release a fix for this problem, not sure if it's a firmware update or an actual hardware issue that needs to be RMA'd.

UPDATE 1:

- Got a response from TPLink stating the the max wattage for incadencet bulbs for these switches is 300W, I was at 480W.

- Replaced the incadecent bulbs with LED 4W bulbs and switch is functioning correctly.

- New problem has been noticed. On the both satellite switches, the circle LED indicator light that comes on when the lights are off is on permanantly and will not turn off under any condition. Waiting on a response from TPLink on this new issue.

UPDATE 2:

- TPLink has informed me that the LED indicator on the satellite switch is always on by design. This honestly comes across as a failiure in engeneering, no other Kasa 3 way switch behaves this way. Hopefully this can be resolved with a firmware update in the future.

Options
2022-08-16 02:23:51

haa this issue ?  I have the same problem with the satellite on a ks230 v1.8. I also have a v1.0 that seems to work correctly. Any idea tplink???  I've spent hours troubleshooting. The main works perfectly, but the satellite does not function. Although I noticed with the main on, if I held the satellite for like 5 seconds the main would shut off, but would come right back on after releasing the satellite (this only happens sometimes)  Please help!

Options
2022-08-26 05:33:35

@Fadam I'll join the party, all wiring is correct, main switch works. It can on/off, dim, and connect to he app. The slave switch does nothing, no light, all the buttons do nothing.

Options
2022-10-02 01:01:45

@Deftdawg 

I do have the same issue.

The satellite is not doing anything. The circle light is not even turning on. 

The main switch is working well though... even with the app.

the wiring is correct :  i disconnect the load from the satellite and nothing works anymore on the main.

I also observed that no power is going through travelers wires when the main switch is off so the satellite doesn't get any juice.

This is really annoying. Also spent hours to check everything...

Im on hardware V1  fmw : 1.0.14

Options
2022-10-12 15:50:14

NiklasE wrote

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, and I have triple checked my wiring with multi-meter. Main unit works fine, can be controlled with phone, got the firmware update. The satellite switch always appear to be in the off-mode (white ring light on), but pressing it has no effect whatsoever. Can you please include me as well in the support case?

@NiklasE 

I'm having this exact same issue, did you get it figured out? 

Options