Kasa EP10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa EP10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Kasa EP10
Kasa EP10
2022-06-06 13:41:04
Model: EP10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Only one available

I bought this mini smart plug and it appears to be a POS.  I had a very difficult time getting it to find my wifi network during the initial setup.  I reset it to factory because I could not get it to use the ON/OFF schedule.  I am back to square one watching the app grind trying to find my wifi network.  Am I missing something?  Close to throwing this away.  I have Samsung smart plugs that work great, just trying a different one.  Mistake so far.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Kasa EP10
2022-06-07 16:36:53 - last edited 2022-06-07 16:38:10

@MarkMac,

Im sorry to hear about your experience with the EP10, I hope that we can fix this and get it working. The most common issue faced during setup for smart devices is found when connecting devices to networks. One thing that will cause an issue is if your WiFi network uses 5Ghz and 2.4 GHz bands that use the same SSID. The other issue that plagues setup processes, is your phone choosing to connect to the home network over the plugs configuration network when it detects that there is no internet. I have even had my phone start using my data instead of trying to communicate with the device locally.

Otherwise, I would take a look at this FAQ and see if there are any solutions that could help: What Should I Do If I Fail To Configure a Kasa Device?

Options
2022-11-22 23:42:49

You say: One thing that will cause an issue is if your WiFi network uses 5Ghz and 2.4 GHz bands that use the same SSID. 

so, what to do about this?

thank you!!

Options
2022-11-23 00:26:03

@MaHaus,

Devices should be able to automatically negotiate to the 2.4 Ghz band, unless there is another feature that is forcing the 5Ghz connection. This behavior is determined by your router. TP-Link routers, for example, can disable Smart Connect. Smart Connect will redirect your device toward the band with a stronger signal, and if disabled the SSIDs can be separated or kept the same to use default wireless roaming. If you have a similar function on your router, this may be forcing the plug to try and connect to the 5Ghz network.

If you take the device out of range of the 5Ghz network, so that the 2.4 is stronger, you may have better luck setting it up if there is a similar feature active on your router.

The absolute easiest method for connecting IoT devices is to enable your Guest Network on your router. Most guest networks usually only use the 2.4 Ghz band, and can serve as a separate network for your devices. Devices will usually connect right away,

I noticed that you said that you previously had it configured, did you do anything different from when you set up the device the first time, such as a different room?

Options
2023-01-18 00:32:05

@Riley_S 

Two suggestions....

1. I've had trouble because usually to setup a smart device your phone with the app must be on the same network as the device you're setting up. The smart device will automatically connect to the 2.4 Ghz band but your phone is probably on the 5 Ghz band. Although they are both on the same SSID network, sometimes they won't connect to configure unless both are on the 2.4 band. What are you using for WiFi? There might be a way to turn off the 5 Ghz temporarily until the device is configured.

2. I used to have trouble configuring some of my cameras until someone else suggested this trick. Before you start turn off the Data in your phone. I don't know why this helps but it has worked when nothing else has.

Good luck.

Jerry

Options