KD110 stops connecting at night

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-08 01:37:17 - last edited 2022-09-21 22:31:47
Model: KD110  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have had the Kasa Smart Doorbell for about a week, the connection is very intermittent even when the device says the wifi signal is strong (3 of 4 bars), what's worse is that the connection will be completely lost at night, I cannot see the live video at all and the device shows as disconnected. Next morning I'll check and the device is back online without any action. I can confirm the device still works as I can ring the bell and the ringer actually sounds. I have lowered the quality of the video thinking it could help but no luck. I also have 2 wifi cameras on the same area working perfectly fine, any ideas of what could be happening? 

I don't know what firmware version I'm running since the app won't even let me see the device details, it only says it's disconnected, but I know it was updated last week when I installed it.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:KD110 stops connecting at night -Solution
2022-09-21 17:20:28 - last edited 2022-09-21 22:31:47

@Riley_S 

Latest update, I measured the power being received by the doorbell and it was exactly 16.0V which should be enough according to the specs of the product, but I decided to get a $20 transformer that provided 24V and the doorbell has been working wonderfully since. I didn't have to change firmware or microSD, I did have to format the microSD using the doorbell since the app said it could not read it. But no other issues have showed up so far.

I will keep an eye on it, but so far it's been working very well for about 15 hours. 

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:KD110 stops connecting at night
2022-09-08 17:01:40

@Telloy3k,

You can try to disable the fast roaming feature on your router, as it may be causing the camera to change bands when it shouldn't be. 

An easy solution or troubleshooting step would be to connect the device to the guest network for your home, as this almost always uses the 2.4Ghz band and may guarantee a more consistent connection.

I am curious as to why the camera is disconnecting at night in particular. Are there any reboot settings for your network, that could be causing the camera to disconnect and then have trouble reconnecting in the middle of the night?

Options
2022-09-18 20:42:47

@Riley_S 

I tried disabling the 5Ghz band completely, and it got even worse. Now it's disconnected most of the day, I have no way to access the recordings, it gives me a timeout error. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the network since I have a 2K camera and a smart outlet 2 feet further than the doorbell without issues. And now even the ringer will not ring, or it will 5-10 minutes later and I get no alerts at all through the app. Do I have a faulty device? 

Options
2022-09-20 16:51:15

@Telloy3k,

If all this is happening, I would definitely recommend that you perform a factory reset on your device so that the network settings will be completely reset. 

Another thing that could be one factor in what you are experiencing, is that we are currently tracking an SD Card Issue for some of our smart cameras, and the KD110 is one of the models that has a firmware update planned for it. The issue was that when the SD card would fill up, the cameras would begin behaving inconsistently, with users unable to view recordings and missed notifications. If you are using an SD Card in your camera, I would try to format the card if it has been filled up. Our engineers have said that restarting some cameras may restore some functionality until the firmware is pushed to your device.

Have you always had this experience with your doorbell, or is this an issue that started to appear after an initial period of operation?

Options
2022-09-20 20:27:22

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the reply, for a few days it worked mostly fine other than the disconnect at night, but it's really getting bad lately. It has a 128GB microSD card but I haven't been able to see anything on it because I keep getting timeouts from the device. I'm also checking the doorbell transformer tonight to see if it's providing enough power, it's a 70yo transformer so it could be that too.

So next steps for troubleshooting, I'll check the transformer, format the microSD, factory reset and check for firmware updates. 

I'll update here if any of that works.

Thanks!

Options
2022-09-21 17:03:05

@Telloy3k

It might not be bad idea to check out this thread on an issue regarding SD Cards to see if this could be a cause of this behavior. If it is, there are already firmware updates being planned and slowly rolled out to devices to fix the issue: Kasa Camera 24/7 recordings missing and corrupted

Options
Re:KD110 stops connecting at night -Solution
2022-09-21 17:20:28 - last edited 2022-09-21 22:31:47

@Riley_S 

Latest update, I measured the power being received by the doorbell and it was exactly 16.0V which should be enough according to the specs of the product, but I decided to get a $20 transformer that provided 24V and the doorbell has been working wonderfully since. I didn't have to change firmware or microSD, I did have to format the microSD using the doorbell since the app said it could not read it. But no other issues have showed up so far.

I will keep an eye on it, but so far it's been working very well for about 15 hours. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 365

Replies: 6