HS100 problems with Alexa

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-20 18:48:09 - last edited 2022-10-03 17:49:06
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6

I bought a pair of these several years ago.  Despite the occasional failure to maintain a network connection, I have one that I've used as "Bedroom lamp" that has worked flawlessly.

Just recenly I installed the other, and named it "Office Lamp".  It's in my office, within 12 feet of my WiFi router.  It was working fine with Alexa for a few days, and then I got a question from Alexa asking if the smart plug controlled a light.  I told it yes.  Ever since then, I CANNOT control the lamp by voice via any of my echo devices.  I say "Alexa, turn on office lamp", and it responds "Office lamp doesn't support that".  Of course it supports that.  That's the entire point of a smart plug.  

]

I CAN control the plug with both the KASA app and Alexa app on my smart phone.  The bedroom lamp plug still works perfectiy.  Both are the latest firmware.  

I've tried - unplugging the smart plug, echo, and my router for several minutes.  Removing the plug from both Kasa and Alexa and then reinstalling.  Doing a factory reset on the smart plug, uninstalling and reinstalling the plug on both Kasa and Alexa.  NOTHING fixes the problem.  Alexa customer service was no help.  

Any ideas?  I never should have told Alexa that the plug controlled a light.  Somewhere that changed a setting and now Alexa refuses all voice commands.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS100 problems with Alexa-Solution
2022-10-03 05:13:51 - last edited 2022-10-03 17:49:06

@Riley_S 

I had a somewhat similar issues. 

In one instance I had two devices with the same name. In another instance I had two plugs with similar enough names Alexa got confused.

Knowing that it works when you rename it shows that this is entirely an Amazon/Alexa issue.

Rename the plug "office lamp" to something else entirely using the Kasa app and confirm it responds with Alexa to the new name.

Then go into the app to see if it still shows something called "office lamp" if so delete it, reboot your Alexa devices then check again. If "office lamp" is no longer there then you can rename the plug to "office lamp" and it should work properly.

If you are still having issues, contact Amazon again and if you are really lucky you might get someone with the knowledge and desire to actually help.

Do you happen to have any other home hub's or Home Assistant running linked to Alexa as this could be the cause of duplicate names? What about an Alexa routines using "office lamp"?

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:HS100 problems with Alexa
2022-09-22 16:24:52

@Orval,

This is definitely a situation that I haven't come across before. I would recommend removing the device from your Kasa account, and then unlinking and relinking your TP-Link ID to Alexa, this should cause Alexa to remove all devices from the home from Kasa, and then you should be able to reimport all the devices like normal - apparently, just don't tell Alexa its controlling a light.

Let me know if you are able to find a solution.

Options
2022-09-22 18:24:50

@Riley_S 

I did all of that, and it did not fix the issue.  I called Alexa customer service and they suggested renaming the "Office Light" to "Office Plug".  That worked.  However, if I name it "Office Light" again, the problem comes back.  They could also see 2 devices in my Alexa account named "Office Light".  I can only see one, and only when I have it named that.  They were not able to delete any devices in my account from their end.  This seems like an Alexa software issue more than anything else.  Very strange.

Options
2022-09-23 17:24:55

@Orval,

Unfortunately, I have mostly Google Devices, so I do not know the ins and outs of the configuration menus.

Is there a place that you can see any of the changes you have made to devices? Like is there a record of the change anywhere in the app that can be deleted?

I wonder if it has something to do with Alexa maybe trying to use the Name of a Device to Determine the device type? Is there an option to prevent Alexa from making these recommendations entirely?

Options
Re:HS100 problems with Alexa-Solution
2022-10-03 05:13:51 - last edited 2022-10-03 17:49:06

@Riley_S 

I had a somewhat similar issues. 

In one instance I had two devices with the same name. In another instance I had two plugs with similar enough names Alexa got confused.

Knowing that it works when you rename it shows that this is entirely an Amazon/Alexa issue.

Rename the plug "office lamp" to something else entirely using the Kasa app and confirm it responds with Alexa to the new name.

Then go into the app to see if it still shows something called "office lamp" if so delete it, reboot your Alexa devices then check again. If "office lamp" is no longer there then you can rename the plug to "office lamp" and it should work properly.

If you are still having issues, contact Amazon again and if you are really lucky you might get someone with the knowledge and desire to actually help.

Do you happen to have any other home hub's or Home Assistant running linked to Alexa as this could be the cause of duplicate names? What about an Alexa routines using "office lamp"?

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-16 15:25:10 - last edited 2022-10-16 15:53:14

@Orval 

It's been a few weeks since you posted but I wonder if this may help you or perhaps others.

I use Alexa on occasions but I have never told it a plug controls a light, however I just found some settings that might be the cause of this.

In the Alexa app, click on a device, for example I have a smart plug named 'Bedroom Lamp', you then have a screen reporting the status of the device with a large round button, to switch the device on or off. Top right of this screen is a small 'settings cog'. Clicking that opens a screen with some information about the device. For example mine says Type - Plug. This 'Type' entry is clickable, and it opens up a screen where you can change the type of device, for example change a plug to a light, so you can then say 'Alexa turn on the light'. Personally I don't mind saying 'Alexa turn on Bedroom Lamp' lol, so I've never done this. But it is here I think where you can change what Alexa thinks is a light but is actually a plug.

5b5525567cd340dbb54b0190304efe25

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 543

Replies: 5

Related Articles