HS220 dimmer lowest setting still too bright after calibration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-20 06:19:12 - last edited 2022-10-26 16:59:43
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I've installed the HS220 dimmers in three bedrooms which all have the same recessed lights. However even after calibration the lights are still bright (maybe 25% brightness) at the lowest level (1% in app) compared to my old Lutron dimmers. Any suggestions?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS220 dimmer lowest setting still too bright after calibration-Solution
2022-10-26 01:38:15 - last edited 2022-10-26 16:59:43

@Fusoya 

Obviously follow what Kasa/tp-link says, but from my experience:

1)  There is considerable variance between bulbs and their ability to work well with some dimmers.  I've had good experience with low dimming and noise (buzz) with Walmart Great Value bulbs (I know, but hey, they're doing great!), and so some degree Feit (although their dimmers are cruddy).   This is a BIG gun, so don't overlook it.

Mostly I think this follows how the bulb dimming compatibility is designed and how well it matches with the dimmer design.  That's beyond this response but consider searching for an article similar to:  "Tsingo, leading and trailing edge dimmers"

2)  Drop wattage.  my 100 watt bulbs devices just don't dim well.   I'm better off w/clear daylight 60 watts bulbs.

3)  My experience with fewer bulbs backfires.  For me, I can dim much lower on (3) 60's than I can on (2) 100's.  

Finally, I've found the Kasa's I've used (most of them) to be pretty flexible about dimming and can, once I get good bulbs in there, dim to uselessly low levels.   I know I've mentioned this, but bulb compatibility has proven to be a really big deal.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:HS220 dimmer lowest setting still too bright after calibration
2022-10-20 21:25:12

@Fusoya,

This FAQ has the compatible dimming types for the HS220: What should I do if I cannot dim the light properly?

When you completed the dimmer calibration, was there a change in the lights? Or did the lights simply ignore the calibration process?

Ensure that the lights installed in the recessed lights support the dimming types used by the HS220, Lutron may use a different dimmer type that was compatible with the installed bulbs. 

I would also recommend trying to remove some of the bulbs to see if the lights can dim properly under a lesser load.

Options
2022-10-20 21:47:10

@Riley_S dimming calibration changes the light's dimness levels. However, the lowest calibration setting still seems too bright (like I said, lowest dimness is probably 25% brightness.)

The recessed lights I have installed support Triac dimming (check noralighting dot com spec sheet for NOXTW) so it should be compatible with HS220 dimmer.

What would removing a bulb accomplish?

Is this low dimming issue something that a firmware or app update can fix?

Options
2022-10-24 16:22:16

@Fusoya ...you can go back into the app and lower the minimum value manually. Set the value, the hit the back button, it will say saved all done. 

Options
2022-10-24 17:42:47

@sketchiey I've already adjusted calibration manually to the lowest setting possible. My lights are still not dim enough.

Options
Re:HS220 dimmer lowest setting still too bright after calibration-Solution
2022-10-26 01:38:15 - last edited 2022-10-26 16:59:43

@Fusoya 

Obviously follow what Kasa/tp-link says, but from my experience:

1)  There is considerable variance between bulbs and their ability to work well with some dimmers.  I've had good experience with low dimming and noise (buzz) with Walmart Great Value bulbs (I know, but hey, they're doing great!), and so some degree Feit (although their dimmers are cruddy).   This is a BIG gun, so don't overlook it.

Mostly I think this follows how the bulb dimming compatibility is designed and how well it matches with the dimmer design.  That's beyond this response but consider searching for an article similar to:  "Tsingo, leading and trailing edge dimmers"

2)  Drop wattage.  my 100 watt bulbs devices just don't dim well.   I'm better off w/clear daylight 60 watts bulbs.

3)  My experience with fewer bulbs backfires.  For me, I can dim much lower on (3) 60's than I can on (2) 100's.  

Finally, I've found the Kasa's I've used (most of them) to be pretty flexible about dimming and can, once I get good bulbs in there, dim to uselessly low levels.   I know I've mentioned this, but bulb compatibility has proven to be a really big deal.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-26 16:34:25

@dafish thanks for the reply.

Good suggestions but I'm not going to buy a new set of lights. It just doesn't make sense in my use case.

It's highly likely this low dim level issue can be addressed via firmware or app update, much like the other thread with the MAX brightness calibration.

I'd just like to know from the tp-link guys if it's possible to fix, and that if it is, will it be on their roadmap. If it's not, then unfortunately for tp-link, I'm going to have to return these products.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 486

Replies: 6