Loosing connection in Kasa app, but Alexa still works

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Loosing connection in Kasa app, but Alexa still works

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
76 Reply
Re:Loosing connection in Kasa app, but Alexa still works
2022-11-15 21:33:37 - last edited 2022-11-15 21:35:23

@Riley_S 

Happy to try.

I have seen the device list freeze, or at least delay, so I think I know what they are talking about.   Again, today's event can not have been the app.  Not when devices stop responding to Alexa and report off-line.  The app is not needed nor engaged at that time.

Strongly suggest you look at backend to end-user comms as well as backend processing.

Options
2022-11-15 21:52:00 - last edited 2022-11-15 22:04:32

@Riley_S  - I just installed - will keep you posted on how it fares over the next few days 

Thanks for looking into this! 

Previous was 3.03 Android, Samsung S22+ Android 12 

Problem was happening across all types of Kasa Devices (but not other non-Kasa); i.e. Switches, Bulbs, Smart Plugs 

I was on same local network - can't say how it performs outside my local network as of this time of writing.. 

One more piece of information - my issues seem to have started after I saw a message about Android 12 and Alexa in the last week. I don't know whether that is just coincidence, but just reporting any other circumstances which may or not be related

Also last night I reboot my modem and everything came back on both my Kasa App and Alexa app - so something to do with the DHCP and how it is being updated in the App for each local device. 

Options
2022-11-15 22:47:01

@dafish 

Gentlemen:

Kasa back-end services are hosted on AWS systems (Amazon Cloud Services) across a wide range of locations and addresses and seem to be called via DNS name.  I suppose I could/might trace the DNS name, but for now it seems likely we can eliminate anything accidental in comm's.   Still looks like backend system or traffic filtering to me.

Options
2022-11-15 22:58:11

More:

Device I typically use is iPad Air running iPadOS 16.  I'm allowing update to 16.1.1 as we speak.  Kasa app was 3.1.2 build 1318.  I'll move to the beta shortly.

Again, I see multiple problems.  Yes, I see the inventory/population freeze, and yes, I can appreciate an app update could address that.  No, I don't believe an app update can resolve why we're seeing (and I'm not alone) devices disappear from Alexa control.   

Options
2022-11-15 23:28:59 - last edited 2022-11-15 23:29:39

@Riley_S 

Am having several devices not respond to an Alexa commands.  Alexa reporting "Kitchen Overheard Lights Isn't responding".

Am getting the same thing from "Office Lights".

Devices, when showing online as they are right now respond to Kasa app command this time (devices didn't earlier today).  Device have shown status shows offline, then back online in Kasa App on tablet.

iPhone is on 16.1, is also updating to 16.1.1.   haven't got beta app loaded yet.  

Office is an ESM20 with very solid servce (-47db).  Versoin 1.0, firmware 1.08

Some Kasa devices are responding.

Kitchen is an HS210 Version 3, firmware 1.0.6 and -53db.

Alexa is able to control other devices, am not having problems with any Feits switches.

Options
2022-11-15 23:58:43

dafish wrote

@Riley_S 

Am having several devices not respond to an Alexa commands.  Alexa reporting "Kitchen Overheard Lights Isn't responding".

Am getting the same thing from "Office Lights".

Devices, when showing online as they are right now respond to Kasa app command this time (devices didn't earlier today).  Device have shown status shows offline, then back online in Kasa App on tablet.

@dafish @Riley_S - this is similar to what is happening with mine - my first recognition of problem is Alexa informs 'device not repsonding'- then find that it works in the Kasa App 

At same time, there may be multiple other (all Kasa) devices at the top of my Alexa devices list, showing they have problem and not responding. 

And also when I go to check the Kasa app, there are likely a number of devices that show offline - but not necessarily the same ones as problem in Alexa! 

And if I refresh the device list (just pull down from top of screen and release) some devices will appear back on line (although will not necessarily activate the devices) and perhaps a different subset shows offline. 

What I have found is, for most part, but not always, Alexa device shows 'device not responding', then I delete it and it is automatically rediscovered and works. (there have been a couple of instances however where this has NOT worked out exactly as described) 

^ All of this prior to app update to Test Version - as previous, will keep informed of any issues. It will almost certainly show up in the next 24 hrs, it IS to recurr. 

Options
2022-11-16 00:51:21

Early feedback on beta build 1338, iPad Air tablet now running 16.1.1:

1)  No idea what the Asian "what to test" message is.  

2)  Population of devices is, at first glance, incredibly quick.

3)  While inventory populated quickly, correct light status is sometimes seconds, other times up to a minute.

4)  "Whirlpool Light", an HS220 v3 with Firmware 1.0.3, keeps flipping back and forth on status in new version of app.  This is a new behavior for a switch that been installed for a month of so.  It's -71db.   An ES20M in the same switchbox shows -73db and seems stable.  That's on Version 1, Hardware version 1.0.8

5) Meanwhile all Kasa devices randomly come and go.  I'll upload two screenshots from my phone that are around 1 minute apart.

Options
2022-11-16 01:02:41

a896509ad1bb46febc0f23eec022f778

0f2705007b724064aa959d01f1251229

Disregard "RumbleFish"   That's suspended and the circuit breaker is intentionally off  (Whole house fan and it's winter)

Phone remains on 1318

Options
2022-11-16 01:52:53

@Riley_S 

I know have captured the same devices showing offline then coming and going on the IPad using the beta version.

f8a5a0736b85464d887105714d93e6f0

Options
2022-11-16 02:08:52

Mine has been flawless so far on the Android

As soon as I opened the App all the devices were there; 

NONE have shown offline since the Test version App was installed 

All are functioning perfectly in both Kasa and Alexa Apps. 

Response time is incredibly quick in both Kasa App and Alexa (maybe a tiny lag - but still less than a second - using manual switch command from Alexa App) 

So none of the issues that @dafish  is showing above on the Android App

Options