HS220 Switch Won't Connect - Green/Orange Light Blink

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-07 03:23:33 - last edited 2023-10-02 18:22:30
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: ?

I have installed my switch, and the switch lights flash periodically.

The light sequence: I see an orange dot for a millisecond, then at the same time a white circle appears and the orange dot turns into a green wifi icon.

The "TP wifi" does not show up when I try to connect this switch in the Kasa app.

Troubleshooting:

- I tried holding down the reset button for 5 seconds.

- I also pressed the "restart" button. This stops the lights, but then they continue to blink when I release the button.

- I switched the load and line wires, and then the switch did not flash at all, so i switched them back.

Any troubleshooting is appreciated. Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS220 Switch Won't Connect - Green/Orange Light Blink-Solution
2023-10-02 02:07:42 - last edited 2023-10-02 18:22:30

@dalaidraper I was having the same problem.  I didn't have a hard time getting my first 3 HS220 [DIMMER] light switches to connect up to my phone.  But no go constantly no matter what I tried.  I even used my Eero router app that allowed me to cancel my 5 GigHz in favor of my 2.4 GigHz for a duration and no connect. 

OK, so this is what fixed it.  I came across an idea that maybe this new box did not send me HS220 light switches after all, maybe they are a different version and I'm trying to connect the wrong ones and so I went into the add list to see if there was another named switch it could be.  As I scrolled or looked down at the very bottom a whole new category of HSS220 switches is there... dugh... called SMART DIMMER SWITCHES.  For some reason, my phone offers the first category of SMART SWITCHES even though mine are SMART DIMMER SWITCHES.  So... you can guess what happened, NOW when I clicked on the first one on that second category "Smart Dimmer (Wi-Fi) HS220" (also a HS220, just under the DIMMER SWITCH category now), walla.... it connects no problem!

This thread started out with somebody that was trying to help us out... I just added my solution in case somebody is looking for solutions, to have this one as well, to take note of all of these options... maybe you have the right switch, you just did not think the different category of HS220- DIMMER or visa versa.  Hope this helps somebody!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:HS220 Switch Won't Connect - Green/Orange Light Blink
2023-09-08 18:56:25

@dalaidraper,

Try holding the reset for 10 seconds, rather than 5 seconds. A 10 Second reset is considered a factory reset, with 5 seconds being a soft reset for the wireless settings. The lights on the device should flash amber when it is doing a factory reset.

The User Guide for the HS220 can be found here, which provides a much better idea of what the device is doing. 

Have you tried to use another device to see if the default setup wi-fi can be seen?

Options
Re:HS220 Switch Won't Connect - Green/Orange Light Blink
2023-09-08 19:16:10 - last edited 2023-09-08 19:16:23

Thanks for the tip @Riley_S. I did try to press the reset button down for 10, 15, 20 seconds, and that did not change anything. 

I also checked all the wiring to confirm the connections were correct and secure.

I did look for the wifi on a different device and it did not appear.

I ended up returning the device because I belive it was defective.

Options
Re:HS220 Switch Won't Connect - Green/Orange Light Blink-Solution
2023-10-02 02:07:42 - last edited 2023-10-02 18:22:30

@dalaidraper I was having the same problem.  I didn't have a hard time getting my first 3 HS220 [DIMMER] light switches to connect up to my phone.  But no go constantly no matter what I tried.  I even used my Eero router app that allowed me to cancel my 5 GigHz in favor of my 2.4 GigHz for a duration and no connect. 

OK, so this is what fixed it.  I came across an idea that maybe this new box did not send me HS220 light switches after all, maybe they are a different version and I'm trying to connect the wrong ones and so I went into the add list to see if there was another named switch it could be.  As I scrolled or looked down at the very bottom a whole new category of HSS220 switches is there... dugh... called SMART DIMMER SWITCHES.  For some reason, my phone offers the first category of SMART SWITCHES even though mine are SMART DIMMER SWITCHES.  So... you can guess what happened, NOW when I clicked on the first one on that second category "Smart Dimmer (Wi-Fi) HS220" (also a HS220, just under the DIMMER SWITCH category now), walla.... it connects no problem!

This thread started out with somebody that was trying to help us out... I just added my solution in case somebody is looking for solutions, to have this one as well, to take note of all of these options... maybe you have the right switch, you just did not think the different category of HS220- DIMMER or visa versa.  Hope this helps somebody!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1261

Replies: 3

Related Articles