Kasa HS210 Smart Wifi 3-way-kit not responding to commands properly

2024-01-02 03:13:20 - last edited 2024-01-02 12:06:26
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

Excuse this long description, but I want to be thorough. I purchased a Kasa HS210 Smart Wi-Fi Switch 3-way-kit to control my multiple back of house floodlights from Alexa. I already have multiple Kasa, lightbulbs, plugs, and one Kasa Smart Light Switch HS200, Single Pole that all work flawlessly with the KASA tp-link app and Alexa.

My rear flood lights consisted of 3 sets of flood lights fixtures controlled by a total of 5 dumb switches. Two of the switches are 3-way and three are 4-way switches.

I swapped out the 3-way with the line-end for only one HS210. I reviewed the wiring multiple times and tested it with a multimeter to be 99% certain of the wiring.

Here are the good results:

• The HS210 switch works perfectly when manually pressed.
  • I can give Alexa a command to turn the “Rear Flood Lights” on, and they come on just fine.
  • I can use the Kasa app to turn the lights on and they will come on.
  • I can use the Alexa app to turn the lights on and they will come on.

Here is what is not working:

• If I give Alexa a command to “Turn off the Rear Flood Lights”, I get an “OK” response, but the lights remain on.
  • If I use the Kasa app once to try to turn off the lights, they remain on.
  • If I use the Alexa app once to try to turn the lights off, they remain on.
  • If, when the lights are on, I give Alexa a second command to “Turn on the Rear Flood Lights” they then will turn off.
  • If, when the lights are on, I use the Kasa app and press the app button to off, then on, then off again, the lights then turn off.
  • If, when the lights are on, I use the Alexa app and press the app button to off, then on, then off again, the lights then turn off.
  • While cycling through the on and off in both the Alexa app and the Kasa app, the status of the lights on the app is usually incorrect.

My conclusion is that there is a problem with the Kasa app communicating with the HS210 concerning the “on” status.  Since I can turn the lights off by cycling through the on/off there is no WiFi issue (I have a strong signal at the switch). By giving Alexa the same “on” command I can turn the lights on or off.  I conclude that the Kasa app is not properly reading the “on” status and in some cases shows the light to be off, when it is actually on. 

So, my question, finally. Anybody have any idea what’s going on here or how I can fix this?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Kasa HS210 Smart Wifi 3-way-kit not responding to commands properly
2024-01-02 16:34:53

@NYKBob 

I don't have a fix for your HS 210, but I have a near similiar situation with my Kasa HS210.

I have a three way setup in my home that controls the outside lights. I have setup a schedule that turns on the lights at 5:40pm and it is supposed to turn of the lights at 2:00am.

My kasa turn on the lights at exactly 5:40pm however, it NEVER turns off the lights at 2:00an. I manually turn off the lights myself. 

I have installed the switch on the line side of the circuit, and have tested this multiple time to be sure. 

I have deleted the app and reinstalled the app.

I have changed the schedule 

I have gotten a replacement switch and still the same result.

I have installed the app on another device same result. 

Created a smart action, lights go on but do not turn off.

Just to be clear only installed ONE switch on this line, Kasa said you only need one. 

Downloaded and installed Kasa beta app and sent a lot to Kasa, same result.

Anyone have a suggestion, short of changing to a different brand of switch ?

Thanks

Options
Re:Kasa HS210 Smart Wifi 3-way-kit not responding to commands properly
2024-01-02 16:50:33

@heshie75v 

Try this work around. Using Alexa (if that's what you use) set the on time to what you want. Then set a second on time when you want it to shut off. Sounds crazy, but let me explain.

With the problem I was having I could tell Alexa to turn on my flood lights, but it would not respond to a command to turn them off. So, in trying multiple work arounds, I found out that I can turn them on by an "on" command, and then later give another "on" command and turn them off. 

Ultimately, I created a "Back Flood Lights" command in Alexa that triggers a routine with only an "on" command to Kasa for those lights. This works for me at present as an acceptable work around.

Using my logic, set a timer for on in Alexa when you want it to turn on, and another "on" command in Alexa when you want it to turn off. (I do not know if this same principle will work if you set two "on" commands in the Kasa app.)

Good luck.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 147

Replies: 2

Related Articles