Tapo TC85 - No RTSP connection and camera will not connect via 3rd party (Scrypted, VLC, Etc)

Tapo TC85 - No RTSP connection and camera will not connect via 3rd party (Scrypted, VLC, Etc)

2024-03-14 01:16:30
Model: Tapo TC85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.4 Build 231222 Rel.39944n

Hello,

I just purchased a 4 pack of the TC85 cameras from Bestbuy and went through the normal setup of the devices. Devices were added to the Tapo app (iOS) and then updated to the latest firmware. I went into the device details and added the RTSP option setting a normal username and password (No special characters) and saved the changes. The device has an IP on my network and the Tapo App works without issue. When I try to connect to the camera via Scrypted or VLC, the camera outright refuses to allow a connection. I went through the forums here and pulled all of the rtsp URL formats and tried them all (With my own IP & U:P), no connection could be made to any of the cameras. I then found the article about pinging the camera which I tried and I'm getting no reply. The cameras are connected to my main home network via Wi-Fi (Not a  different subnet or Vlan), cameras show an IP in the TAPO app and I can do a LAN scan and see the devices on the 2.4GHZ list. 

Thinking something may have gone wrong with the setup, I removed all of the cameras from the TAPO app and reset them, clearing out all stored info. I have set 2 of the cameras back up, both are shown in my TAPO app, both do not have the TAPO care and both do not have a micro SD card installed. Both cameras have IP's on my home Wi-Fi, I setup simple username and passwords (No special characters) for the RTSP authentication via the TAPO app and again both cameras work fine inside of the TAPO app and will display a video stream. I again went with the 3rd party connection attempt using the valid credentials I created but could not access the live stream via scypted or VLC. I scanned my LAN and confirmed the IP's matched what is shown under the device details for each camera and I then attempted to ping the cameras from the terminal but no reply was seen. I even switched my iPhone to the 2.4ghz network and ran a ping test using iNettools, no reply - request timed out.

With all of that said, here is where things don't make sense. I also have a TAPO C310 that is on my main Wi-Fi, connected into the TAPO app on my iPhone, same IP range and it works flawlessy both from the TAPO app and from 3rd party connections (Scypted and VLC). Pinging the TAPO C310 from terminal produces a reply without fail. My home router is nothing crazy and I don't run VLAN's or have port forwarding enabled. Just a simple setup as 95% of the devices in my home are all Wi-Fi based. My IP range has plenty of open IP's, I don't have MAC filtering on and I see no duplicate IP's in the router table.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would be very appreciative!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tapo TC85 - No RTSP connection and camera will not connect via 3rd party (Scrypted, VLC, Etc)
2024-03-14 14:21:02 - last edited 2024-03-14 14:22:07

Update

This morning I started again trying to get the TC85's to engage the RTSP option and I tried to figure out the ping issue. During the course of testing I left a terminal ping command running while I was accessing the camera from the TAPO app on my phone. Whenever a change was made to the camera's settings or the live feed was accessed, the terminal would report a reply from the camera. As soon as the changes were saved or the live feed disconnected the terminal stopped getting replies from the camera. I updated the RTSP authentication on the camera, enabled the live stream via the TAPO app on my phone and then tried both scrypted and VLC.

Both 3rd party apps attempted to connect but both couldn't load the stream from the camera. They could see an active device at the IP but failed to connect to the camera's stream or API for the RTSP protocol. The cameras have the latest firmeware available as they forced the update before working. Would it be possible to get another firmware version to test and see if that makes a difference for the Camera account / RTSP?

Options
Re:Tapo TC85 - No RTSP connection and camera will not connect via 3rd party (Scrypted, VLC, Etc)
2024-03-16 21:37:04
Hey Tom, I'm looking to do the same thing with the same cameras... I don't have them in hand so I have not tested but while looking through the Scrypted docs I found this: Onboard Camera AI Some camera hardware provides onboard AI that detects people, animals, and vehicles. Those detections can be used by Scrypted NVR to reduce server load. There are a few caveats: The camera-provided detections do not provide bounding boxes around the object. As a result, notifications and thumbnails will be full-frame images, unlike the rich notifications provided by Scrypted NVR Object Detection. Enabling the camera's AI features may disable some substreams. This would reduce the available streams from 3 to 2, resulting in degraded timelapse and streaming performance. With those limitations in mind, the Onboard Camera AI can be utilized by disabling the Scrypted NVR Object Detection extension on the camera. Maybe if you disable the AI features the stream will come up. Oh, I found a reddit post that asks these same questions to the developer, not a response though. I'm following.
Options