HS100 Not able to enable Remote Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS100 Not able to enable Remote Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:HS100 Not able to enable Remote Control
2017-03-19 14:48:24
I'm about ready to take a hammer to this POS. Had it working for 2 months although I don't know how that happened. Now out of the blue it stops working. My router config has not changed so WTF? I tried all the recommendations in this thread. Nada - zip - no effect. Why isn't remote control the default?? That's the whole point of buying this thing. Without remote control it's just a mechanical switch. It seems this thing cannot connect to a static IP network 192.168.1.x.
Options
2017-03-20 01:35:59

nbi wrote

I'm about ready to take a hammer to this POS. Had it working for 2 months although I don't know how that happened. Now out of the blue it stops working. My router config has not changed so WTF? I tried all the recommendations in this thread. Nada - zip - no effect. Why isn't remote control the default?? That's the whole point of buying this thing. Without remote control it's just a mechanical switch. It seems this thing cannot connect to a static IP network 192.168.1.x.

A day later it mysteriously works again. WTF !? I'm beginning to think these problems are with accessing external TP systems, i.e. the cloud, etc. That makes it a little difficult to assess product quality if the external network components are of varying quality/dependability.
Options
2017-05-03 03:28:01
FRUSTRATED! I have been working with email support for nearly three weeks and things still do not work. I have read the threads. Firmware 1.1.2. distance to AP 1m. Ports forwarded etc... They did work for about 6 months then just quit. They work locally (which has no value to me) but I seriously need remote access which is why I purchased them. I get the same errors, Says device not binded and on another page says device has no internet access. No Internet Access??? Who has no access, the device or my iPhone? Has anyone gotten past this problem and if so how. How can I get to someone that can help me get them working? tnx
Options
2017-05-04 02:06:43
I've been having the same problems with my HS200 Smart Wi-Fi Light Switches. I have 7 of them and they always work when WiFi is enabled on my phone. However, many times the show "Local Only" and I cannot access them remotely. On one occasion I closed the Kasa app and then manually reset all 7 switches (not factory reset, but the reset button on the right). When they came back up, they worked again remotely. This lasted for about a week, now all 7 are local only again.

The firmware is up to date according to the Kasa app. One evening I enabled WiFi on my phone, then went to one of the switches via the Kasa app. I disabled Remote Control, then had to wait a few minutes before the switch came back on-line. Then I went into the switch settings again and re-enabled remote control and that fixed that switch, however it wouldn't work for all 7, only a couple. Nothing in my house has changed since I installed the switches, same router, same internet service provider, etc.

One of the reasons I bought the switches was to control them when I'm away from my home. Now after buying and installing 7 of them, it looks like this feature is not stable at all.
Options
2017-05-12 08:44:36

DJS653 wrote

FRUSTRATED! I have been working with email support for nearly three weeks and things still do not work. I have read the threads. Firmware 1.1.2. distance to AP 1m. Ports forwarded etc... They did work for about 6 months then just quit. They work locally (which has no value to me) but I seriously need remote access which is why I purchased them. I get the same errors, Says device not binded and on another page says device has no internet access. No Internet Access??? Who has no access, the device or my iPhone? Has anyone gotten past this problem and if so how. How can I get to someone that can help me get them working? tnx

Once I got my issue moved to an Engineer things proceeded quickly. It seems the problem is my LinkSys WRT1900AC Router. I have swizzled every option on every page and still could not get the SmartPlugs to work. I substituted a LinkSys WRT1200AC Router and everything started working. I know that does not tell us what really happened but SmartPlugs are working now. It appears the WRT1900 is blocking access to the Cloud even though ports are forwarded and firewalls turned off for testing. It was working, then quit, so something died in my router I guess. I'm just sorry it was almost three weeks before my case got escalated.
Options
2017-05-22 21:00:12
Once I finally got referred to Engineering, my problem was solved very quickly. The Engineering level support is excellent. In my case I had been using a Linksys WRT-1900. When I switched to the WRT-1200 everything started working correctly. Engineering asked to look at the WRT-1900 config file. They reported back there was a problem with the DNS-1 I was using. Bottom line, great support at Engineering level and everything works now.
Options
2017-11-26 20:07:03
Just wanted to add for those who haven't solved their problem of not being able to enable the remote control.
I also had the same problem, my HS100 remote control could not been enabled (while a light bulb LB130 was working just fine on the same lan), after I got a new router.

In my case, changing the DNS server settings the router advertises via DHCP on that lan to the google's public DNS server 8.8.8.8 made my HS100 available remotely again.
Options
DNS worked
2017-12-09 08:14:57

DJS653 wrote

Once I finally got referred to Engineering, my problem was solved very quickly. The Engineering level support is excellent. In my case I had been using a Linksys WRT-1900. When I switched to the WRT-1200 everything started working correctly. Engineering asked to look at the WRT-1900 config file. They reported back there was a problem with the DNS-1 I was using. Bottom line, great support at Engineering level and everything works now.

Thanks for this advice. I searched for 6 hours today trying to figure out why this plug wouldn't work and your advice solved the problem in 1 minute. I'm not sure what else I opened up on my router by entering that new DNS line, though. The customer shouldn't be expected delve this deeply into something in order for these things to work. If reminds me of the bad old days when you had to be a computer geek to set up a PC.
Options