110 and 130 Bulbs dropping / losing connnection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-01 01:35:02 - last edited 2022-03-03 08:26:32
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have three LB130s and two LB110 bulbs set up in hard-wired light fixtures, connected via a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 running current firmware. I am having constant disconnect problems with both bulb models, with disconnects sometimes happening within just a few minutes. The only way to bring the bulbs back online is to remove and reapply power; they'll power on (and light up), within a minute or so they'll be back online.

I've spent the better part of a week trying different things to attempt to keep the devices online, all without success:
[*]Verified firmware is up to do using Kasa.
[*]Confirmed firewall rules allow outbound access.
[*]Set 2.4GHz access point to "failsafe" settings (RTS/CTS settings, Fragmentation)
[*]Changed 2.4GHz wireless to different channels (1, 3, 6, 7, 9, 11) to attempt to eliminate the possibility of interference.
[*]Relocated my wireless AP to ensure clear line-of-sight to all bulbs.
[*]Set DHCP reservations for the bulbs.
Symptoms:
Devices appear offline (grayed out) in Kasa.
[*]Bulbs remain in operating state when they lose their connection (if on, they stay on; if off, they stay off)
[*]Unable to control devices in Kasa - device offline or out of range error.
[*]Bulbs do not respond to 'ping.'
[*]Bulbs come online - every time - perfectly after power cycle.
My feeling is that the bulbs are either going to sleep or otherwise failing a "keep-alive." I'm running a constant 'ping' from my desktop to see if that helps keep the bulbs online. Anyone seen this? Anyone have a solution? (TP-Link - perhaps a firmware problem?)
Options
25 Reply
Re:110 and 130 Bulbs dropping / losing connnection
2017-01-05 11:26:17
kalmairn - Have you found a resolution to your issue? I'm having the same problem with a new set of LB110's, the connection drops after [usually] a couple hours.
Options
Me too!
2017-01-07 04:51:28
just got my first LB-120 yesterday. Every couple of hours it drops off the network (which has full strength at it's location). Then I restart the bulb and it's back again immediately.
Options
2017-01-07 04:52:41
Same behavior with the LB-120 - drops off every couple of hours a perfectly strong network connection. Once i restart it, it reconnects immediately.
Options
2017-01-08 00:57:57
I've not solved it, but I've learned a little bit along the way.
Our Cable Modem / Wireless AP supports both 5GHz and 2.4GHz. We have an old gaming laptop that only supports 2.4GHz B/G/N. I found that every time my son used that old laptop for online computer games the bulbs would disappear within a few minutes. By adding a 5GHz USB WiFi card, or by connecting by cable (hardwire - who does that anymore?), the bulbs would be much more reliable.
[*]There are a lot of other wireless APs within range of our home. I moved our 2.4GHz band from channel 1 where it competed with 11 other APs, to channel 9, placing it between the less-crowded channels 6 and 11. That also increased reliability.
[*]Finally, we a couple days where we had some internet reliability issues. Our cable service was dropping packets at random. The bulbs would drop fairly frequently
In all cases, removing and re-applying power would solve the problem, however left on their own they'd never reconnect.

What I've learned, and what others could think about when setting up and troubleshooting:
[*]The bulbs are very sensitive to losing "airtime" on the WiFi network. If you tend to use your WiFi for high-bandwidth (movies) or high-chatter (online games) services, the bulbs tend to be less reliable.
[*]The bulbs deal with interference poorly. If there is a lot of cross-talk between WiFi access points, the bulbs are more likely to drop.
[*]These bulbs have either limited, more likely no, reconnect capability. Once the bulbs drop, either from the WiFi or from Kasa, they seem to stay offline until they're reset.
My ask of TP-Link is to address the last item, in particular. Even if the service disappears, the bulb should have a recovery option in some sort of retry that continues on some reasonable repeating timescale. It's also possible an update could help with sensitivity to signal loss or competition for airtime, probably a little harder and longer to implement but likely more effective in the long run.
Options
Losing connection
2017-01-10 00:54:57
I had my bulbs lose connection as well and here is one thing I found out. I was trying to use the bulbs with Alexa and the Dot could not control the bulbs. I would try to control the bulbs with my iPhone but it would say the device was offline. Now what I found out was I had the Kasa app open on my iPad as well and it was controlling the bulbs. Once I closed the iPad app the iPhone regained control of the bulbs and then Alexa was able to control the bulbs as well. When I have lost the bulbs they seem to reconnect on their own without me having to turn off power.
Options
2017-01-10 06:28:18
Interesting. I opened up a support case with TP Link and they had me download a utility to patch the firmware on the bulbs. So far this has worked great, no bulbs have lost connectivity (knock on wood). I'd give this a try if you haven't already.
Options
2017-01-23 01:42:44

pman wrote

Interesting. I opened up a support case with TP Link and they had me download a utility to patch the firmware on the bulbs. So far this has worked great, no bulbs have lost connectivity (knock on wood). I'd give this a try if you haven't already.

What utility patch did they send ? Was it a standard Firmware update , what version , and have you had any more issues since ?
Options
2017-02-13 15:11:12
Upgrade tool (which works on lightbulbs, and WiFI plugs) can be found at:
http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-949.html , the download is http://static.tp-link.com/iotUpgradeTool_V1.0.zip
Options
2017-12-06 21:18:14
Has the problem been resolved?

I have recently purchased TP bulbs and I'm having exactly the same problem with the bulb dropping the WiFi regularly. Router power cycle always reconnects it.

I'm in an email chat with TP but their first suggestion was to factory reset the bulb so I'm not sensing a positive outcome....
Options
2017-12-19 00:27:32
After a recent update on my Asus router both my TP-Link 100 series lights and my TP-Link HS105 mini plugs have started losing connection.overnight. My HS110 plug and HS200 switch were not affected. I tried the suggestions in the thread with no change in the problem. I finally reconnected the troubled components again and in the router setup changed their assigned IP addresses from DHCP to static. The affected products have not dropped out for 5 days now. May be something for you to try if you experience a similar problem.
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 16783

Replies: 25