Kasa/HS200 Feature Request - Turn off X Minutes after Turned On

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-06 23:54:43
Model : HS200

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Feature Request

"Turn off X minutes after the light is turned on"

I have a few hallways where people pass through, and the lights are ALWAYS left on. This, combined with my OCD, is slowly eating away at my soul. I'd like to configure Kasa to "Turn the device off 5 minutes after it is turned on".

I've already set up a schedule in Kasa to turn the lights off on the "5s", but because of the timing I've already had the lights go out on people halfway through the hall.
Options
47 Reply
me too!
2017-01-14 08:26:41
I second this request. I have a gas fireplace which my teenagers sometimes leave on too long. I haven't bought a TP-Link switch for it yet, but when I do I would like to always shut it off after a set time and force them to turn it on again if they still need it.Thanks!
Options
Re:Kasa/HS200 Feature Request - Turn off X Minutes after Turned On
2017-09-12 06:20:04
I third this! It's a critical feature that other competitors offer and can be added via firmware and software updates - in fact I just bought 12 tp-link HS200 switches for this very purpose only to find out it's not possible. I also have Wemo's equivalent light switches installed in my home and they have this invaluable feature!
Options
2017-09-12 22:12:21
With so many devices including wemos you might want to look at AutomationManager (its an android app but it can work well even if you're an iphone user). It integrates TP Link and wemo in one app and adds a host of automation including the auto off feature.
Options
2017-09-13 04:29:50

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

With so many devices including wemos you might want to look at AutomationManager (its an android app but it can work well even if you're an iphone user). It integrates TP Link and wemo in one app and adds a host of automation including the auto off feature.

Nice program! I'll buy it and give it a whirl now. Thanks for offering it as a solution and letting me know about it!
Options
2017-09-13 10:38:23
Sure, glad to help. Please feel free to contact me here or directly if you need any help to get it working.
Options
Please work on adding this feature!
2017-11-09 05:59:52
The reason I brought two of HS200 is to replace the bathroom exhaust fan switch. Lacking of this feature makes me hesitate to do the replacement. Run the fans for a few more minutes helps a lot.
Options
2017-11-09 10:52:24
TP Link should probably comment, but FWIW you might find using the HS200 for a fan load may cause its relay to burn and stick. A proper auto-off timer switch intended for fans might be a better choice.
Options
2017-11-10 03:32:24
Mike - thanks for all the advice so far - I've bought your software and successfully repurposed a spare android phone. I am happily running the additional functionality discussed in this thread.

However, I do have a few bathroom fans on HS200s - they're working fine but can you expand on the concern with the relays? Is this a fire hazard or is it just the possibility of the switch failing? I could be mistaken but I never saw anything in the TP-Link literature suggesting it was out of the scope of the switches' intended usage.

If it makes any difference, these are modern 2-year-old bathroom fans that make nearly zero noise (so possibly they have lower power consumption than the older models?) it takes an effort to listen to see if they're running.

Thanks!
Options
2017-11-10 03:36:12
Another invaluable add for the switches and plugs. I battled back and forth between the WeMo and TP devices but chose TP. I would like to see their controls catch up and exceed what the competitors offer of course!

Kev.
Options
2017-11-10 09:32:51
Cool, welcome aboard! If you have any trouble you can reach me using the "contact" button in help and on my web site, I'm happy to help.

The tricky thing with motors is they're an inductive load rather than resistive like lighting. So when the contacts open the motor (as an inductor) pushes a lot of current back across the gap while it's still small. This wears them out like how points wore in old cars which isn't too bad. Worse is that it can sometimes weld the contacts together meaning they don't stop conducting even when switched off. I haven't opened up a TP Link plug but I believe most of home automation plugs are using the lighter "songle" mechanical type relays which can handle a reasonable amount of resistive current but I doubt can handle inductive load for as long.

Probably not a fire hazard but the HS200s are expensive!
Options

Information

Helpful: 16

Views: 14862

Replies: 47