Echo - suddenly no TP Link devices responding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Echo - suddenly no TP Link devices responding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
41 Reply
Re:Echo - suddenly no TP Link devices responding
2017-07-18 21:34:29
Is anyone else having these issues again over the past week? I have 3 HS200 switches and 4 HS105 mini-plugs. the switches are having no problems at all, but the 2 most-recently installed mini-plugs are showing greyed out in the Kasa app intermittently/frequently (1x/hr). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the switches to my profile, but no change in behavior.

Of course when it's greyed out in Kasa, Alexa says " is not responding". All of my devices have Remote Control turned on, btw.

Seems like it might be a server-side issue?
Options
2017-07-19 10:18:20
check if there is any firmware upgrade available
connect a windows computer to the same network and run this http://static.tp-link.com/iotUpgradeTool_V1.0.zip

Options
2017-07-19 11:23:52
Firmware is up to date. Thanks for the reply.
Options
2017-07-20 09:32:42
does the firmware upgrade solve the problem?
Options
2017-08-29 02:52:18
I had the same issue and went into the echo app and forgot all devices then went to the kasa app and disabled and re-enabled remote control on each device. Then rediscovered devices in the echo app. I am not sure which step fixed it but you might want to start in the kasa app with disabling and re-enabling remote control on one device and see if it fixes that device.

To clarify my echo control worked fine for the first week or so after I got them and then only worked through the kasa app which is what a lot of people are reporting. I did change routers but used the same wifi settings and the devices were still connected through the kasa app.
Options
2017-12-08 08:00:24
My family room and living room light suddenly did not respond to my Echo. I manually turned the family room light off and on using the wall switch, and unplugged and plugged the living room lamp. The Echo now responds to both lamps. Alexa said, "I don not know what the problem was." Until the problem is somehow corrected, this seems to be a quick fix.
Options
A possible cause
2018-01-05 14:20:30
Hello, everyone -

I experienced the same behaviors described earlier (Kasa finds devices and works but Alexa cannot, even though there were no problems previously, etc.), but am fairly certain it was because I changed the IP address of my devices. (I was setting up my network to shut down network access for children's devices after a certain time and wanted to make sure the house still worked after "curfew".) In changing their IP addresses, I got the same strange behavior as above. At first, Kasa couldn't talk to them. I power-cycled each device and Kasa found them (and not even just locally), but Alexa still couldn't talk to them. On a hunch, I reset my wireless access point ("router") and that seemed to force Alexa to go looking again. Everything worked right away.

Bottom line, I think Alexa may hold onto IP addresses longer that needed, or at the very least, Kasa doesn't tell Alexa about the change. (Assuming it's doing it all via IP, not MAC.) I suspect that for those running DHCP, the issue is that the DHCP lease runs out, the smart device gets a new IP address, and Alexa never gets the memo. My theory is that upon resetting the router, Alexa refreshes its lookup table. Again, just a guess.

For those running their smart devices on DHCP, consider setting up an indefinite lease (if your router supports it). Otherwise, consider assigning static IP addresses to your smart devices outside the DHCP lease range. I realize that all gets a bit technical, so if this sounds like a bunch of Greek, then you're probably stuck power-cycling each smart device, followed by power-cycling your router.

Hope this helps the next wandering Googler!
Options
2018-01-08 20:49:57
1-7-2017 6:50 AM CST. Cannot connect to TP-Lik, says server issue.
Options
2018-02-25 04:35:58
I have replaced my D-Link router with your Archer C2600 model because I was upgraded to a 400Mbit/s cable connection. After the initial setup, everything worked fine and much faster than before. There is however a problem with my Amazon Echo Dot 2 that I can not get connected using the Alexa app. The app won't allow a WLAN connection claiming an incorrect password. My cell phone and tablet pc were easily connected though and I have double checked the password and it is correct.
Does anyone have a suggestion what could be wrong? I will of course also check with Amazon here in Germany but so far I could not find a remedy for that problem.
Options
2018-02-27 19:48:14

weblogger wrote

I have replaced my D-Link router with your Archer C2600 model because I was upgraded to a 400Mbit/s cable connection. After the initial setup, everything worked fine and much faster than before. There is however a problem with my Amazon Echo Dot 2 that I can not get connected using the Alexa app. The app won't allow a WLAN connection claiming an incorrect password. My cell phone and tablet pc were easily connected though and I have double checked the password and it is correct.
Does anyone have a suggestion what could be wrong? I will of course also check with Amazon here in Germany but so far I could not find a remedy for that problem.

Luckily the problem has been solved in the meantime. Everything is working fine now.
Options