Smart plug HS105 losing connectivity to the wifi network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart plug HS105 losing connectivity to the wifi network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Smart plug HS105 losing connectivity to the wifi network
2017-05-06 00:27:45
Can you use a friend's windows PC? I'm on 1.2.1, with no problems.
Options
2017-05-06 21:52:54
Maybe I need to...
Options
2017-05-06 21:59:45
INTERESTING NEW DEVELOPMENT....
This morning, I had the power turned off to install another light switch (the replacement HS200 that TP-Link sent me). Turning off the circuit, also powered down the HS105 that was in the weird state (date was set to Jan 1, 2000 and Alexa couldn't see it, and it was only accessible when my iPhone was on my local network. I figured after installing the light switch, I would go ahead and reset/reconfigure the HS105. After turning the power back on, I noticed the HS105 was showing up on my iPhone while in LTE mode (not on wi-fi). I asked "Alexa, turn on lights", and it worked! The HS105 had recovered after a power disruption. That freaked me out... I may take Cdbma's advice and bring home a Windows laptop from work and update the firmware. Like I said, my HS105 firmware is 1.0.6. If there is really a 1.2.1, I probably need to upgrade. Now, just figuring out how to do that...
Options
2017-05-07 22:24:45

Cdbma wrote

Can you use a friend's windows PC? I'm on 1.2.1, with no problems.

TP-Link support (chat) tells me the current firmware for the HS105 is 1.1.3. Are they confused? Also, how did you update your firmware to 1.2.1?

Thanks
Options
2017-05-08 05:48:04
Here. It updated my minis to 1.2.1. http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-949.html
Options
2019-12-15 00:26:52

@alfredojahn 

The claim by TP-Link Smart Plug Support that you need a Windows PC to install new firmware may not be always right. I'm in an all Apple's home and just replaced two early version Wemo Smart Plug (Mini) that lost connection to Wifi, with which I was unable to connect it to my home Wifi during multiple re-install attempts after factory reset.

My replacements are TP-Link HS105 Smart Plug Minis. After a successful setup, right after I customized the plugs name, I was prompted to and completed a firmware update. After the setup right in front of my router, I moved the HS105 to a wall socket about 10-11 feet from the router, on the far end of a wide entertainment cabinet with a 65-inch TV and all sorts of electronics. The HS 105 was unable to reconnect to my Wifi after relocating from 2-3 feet in front of the router to its intended location. That worked for my Wemo Mini Plugs for 2-3 year, requiring occasional unplug-and-replug to regain access by Alexa.

Since I have a second router cascaded to my primary router to cover dead spots on the far end of my house one storey up, I had confusion selecting the best router by its SSID since they have identical SSID and passwords, for both 2-4 GHs and 5 GHz bands. During the repeated factory reset and setup, the setup procedure did not prompt me to update the plugs firmware after it's done once.

As to my problem with the HS105 losing connection to my home Wifi when relocated after successful setup, I finally decided to do a setup right at its intended location. With the NetSpot app to shows me the difference in signal strenght from both of my routers, I picked the one (idental SSID) with the stringest signal, set it up properly, and found that I am able to control it from Kasa on my iPhone while raoming aound the house. I'll still have to wait and see if they recover easily after losing Wifi connection.

Options
2021-05-12 11:59:38

@jowilson520 Not sure of the different model #'s but i have the issue with all my mini's but the older bigger ones that you can't buy anymore are rock solid. At first I thought it was a conflict with the band steering on my modem so I put in a separate 2.4 hz  TP-link router just for the plugs which seemed to work for awhile but now I'm having the issue again .  I don't think it's my internet  connection as I am having  no issues with my Globe brand plugs or my bigger tp-link plugs  so I'm about to give up on the mini's and buy more Globe plugs which I didn't really  want to do because  TP links app interface  is much better than Globes .

Options