HS105 Smart Plug Mini Communication Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-28 21:48:39
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi:

I purchased six HS105 Smart Plug Mini devices. I am having a hard time getting them to connect on my home network. I am looking for some guidance from more experienced users. Let me tell you what equipment I have, what I have done, and where I'm running into problems.

Equipment:
1) iPhone 7+ with the most updated iOS
2) Asus RT-AC88U Router with the most updated firmware
3) HS105

Steps:
1) I have two wireless networks a 5GHz and 2.4GHz. I connect my iPhone to the 2.4 network.
2) Plug in the HS105 and make sure the light is flashing between blue and amber.
3) Open the TP-Link Kasa App on my iPhone.
4) Walkthrough the steps for adding the HS105.
5) I can see the HS105, I connect to it, name it, select the icon for it, and then the last step is to connect back to my 2.4GHz network and finish the HS105 setup.
6) I connect back to my 2.4GHz network and it tries to finish the HS105 setup but I never see the HS105 again and I keep getting to try to connect to my 2.4GHz network.

Now I know the HS105 is on my network because I can see it listed as a device in the list of devices that have a DHCP IP in my router.

I am not sure if there needs to be certain firewall rules applied, certain ports opened, or what, but I have heard really great things about the HS105 and I am certain it's something I'm doing wrong and not the device.

Do any of you more experienced users out there have suggestions or insight into what I am possibly doing wrong or what the issue is?

Thanks.

Shawn.
Options
17 Reply
Re:HS105 Smart Plug Mini Communication Issue
2017-06-29 14:50:35
What's the status of the light on the HS105? Is it solid blue? Did you try restart your phone?
Options
2017-06-29 21:40:47
Before I try to pair it to the Kasa App, the light is flashing blue and amber. Once I do step 5 above the light is solid blue, no more flashing, and it shows up on my network. I have restarted my iPhone, tried it on my iPad Air 2, tried it on an iPhone 6S, tried it on an iPod 5th Gen, tried it on an iPad Mini - all with the same results.

I am wondering if there is something in the router that could block it? It doesn't make sense that every device I own would have the same result in step 6. I have even turned the firewall off in my router and tried it with no joy.

Any other thoughts?
Options
2017-07-03 09:15:04
Hi Shawn,
The light is solid blue and you can see the device on your router's page, so the plug is connected to your router, that's strange you cannot see the plug on the APP. Make sure the wifi of your router is not opened, and it has WPA/WPA2 security, and it's not a guest network. If possible, use another router to have a try.
Options
2017-07-04 02:46:09
I'll give this a try when I get home tonight. I thought about doing that, but I don't really want to use a different router as a longterm solution. Let me give it a try and see if a different router helps, if it does then clearly there are some settings I need to adjust in my router. Do you know if there are certain ports that needs to be open on the router for the device to communicate with the app?
Options
2017-07-04 04:31:10
I have a issue with my Smart Plug mini. I have set is up with my router and it shows on my iPhone and works when I am at home. I cannot get it work when I am at remote location.
Any help appreciated.
Options
2017-07-04 09:16:11

shawnjanes wrote

I'll give this a try when I get home tonight. I thought about doing that, but I don't really want to use a different router as a longterm solution. Let me give it a try and see if a different router helps, if it does then clearly there are some settings I need to adjust in my router. Do you know if there are certain ports that needs to be open on the router for the device to communicate with the app?

The smart plug uses port 50443 and 9999 to communicate with the cloud server, so make sure no settings in your network block the two ports.
Options
2017-07-04 09:18:10

gaha wrote

I have a issue with my Smart Plug mini. I have set is up with my router and it shows on my iPhone and works when I am at home. I cannot get it work when I am at remote location.
Any help appreciated.

Hi, is the remote control enabled for the smart plug? If you cannot enable it, also need to check if your router settings block the port 50443 and 9999.
Options
2017-07-04 21:18:07
The remote control is enabled. I do not know how to set up the router. I have a Lynksys wrt54gs.
Thanks for you help.
Options
2017-07-05 15:27:55

gaha wrote

The remote control is enabled. I do not know how to set up the router. I have a Lynksys wrt54gs.
Thanks for you help.

Hi gaha, try disable it and enable again, or try another phone if possible.
Options
2017-07-12 09:24:04
Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini is indeed a problem. I have been unable to connect like you. The only difference for me is that I cannot see it on my router (also a Linksys EA9500). I have disabled 5gHz WiFi on the router, restarted everything and it still hangs at the last step - adding it to the network.

I start the app and go through the process. I connect to the TP-Link WiFi. Enter my network and password. Now the light changes from the amber/blue flashing to a blue (only) flashing. Then I'm directed to make sure I'm back on my router's network, which I am. Then the (not so) Smart Plug Mini starts flashing amber/blue again. If I close the application and re-open it, no devices are listed on my iPhone 7. I've repeated the process and restarted everything. I tried it ith the plug turned on and turned off. Same thing. Anyone find the answer?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3797

Replies: 17

Related Articles