How to resolve common problems when setting up the Kasa smart device (Plug/Bulb)

Released On: 2018-11-05 12:19:52Last update time: 2021-02-16 18:32:20

Our Kasa app is designed to provide an easy step-by-step process to set up your new smart device. However, there may be instances where issues come up during the installation. This guide will try and provide steps to try in order to resolve your issue.

Case 1 

• Go into the “Settings > Wi-Fi” menu of your smartphone for Android or "Settings > Wi-Fi > Choose a network" for iOS, manually connect to the smart device's network. Open Kasa and select the option that you are manually connected to the smart device located on the bottom of the setup screen
  • Make certain you choose the correct smart device to connect to. The last four characters of the MAC address are also apart of the network name of the smart device.
  • Disable any VPN connection that your phone may be using during the setup.
  • Perform a factory default on the smart device and repeat the process.
  • If your Apple device is running iOS 14, check the app permission to allow local network access

Case 2

http://www.tp-link.com/res/upfile/faq/20151110064903.jpg

• Make sure the smart device is not connecting back to your home Wi-Fi network. If so, connect back to the TP-Link Wi-Fi network.
  • Reinstall the Kasa app on your smartphone.

Case 3

• When on the screen where you join the smart device to the network. The wireless network name you see above the wireless password box should be the one you normally connect to in order to receive internet, if not, select the link below to choose a different network name.
  • The wireless signal should be at least two bars, if it is one bar, move the device closer for setup.
  • If the router’s SSID is hidden, please choose “manually setup my Wi-Fi” to input SSID and password.

Case 4

http://www.tp-link.com/res/upfile/faq/20151110064943.jpg

• Wait 15 seconds then check LED status. If the smart device's LED indicates it is connected to the network or if the bulb blinks several times, do not select the option to start over. Sign out and back into the Kasa app and wait a few minutes to see whether the device is working.
  • Check to see if your phone is now connected back to your home Wi-Fi. If not, connect back, and go back to Kasa.
  • Verify that the wireless password being used is correct. Going into your phone Settings > Wi-Fi menu. Forget the wireless network that you are trying to connect the smart device to, and then reconnect. When the phone asks for the wireless password, use the same password that you tried in Kasa. Delete the password that exists in the box and enter the wireless password for your network again.
Comment

The Factory Reset doesn't work with Wrong Schedular. The Schedular was Deleted, but the Plug use the old Times.

I recommend setting up auto-update for the app to avoid such problems in the future.

I had two of four mini plugs plugged in. They do not work.  Ste1. I can't connect to local network, but they are in my WI-FI setting.  Step2. There is the constant lights that is blinking of the lights(orange and blue), and I have a smart lamp( or bulb) it blinks and nothing else.  I needs advice on how to get thing to work

Ive had the same wireless with the same encryption password for years and used these same Kaza outlets., Now when i try to connect the HS105 outlet to my wifi, once i get past 5 characters it says "incorrect password length" and wont let me join.  It wont let me put in a 9 character lenght password?  What gives

I just installed the new KS230 kit. The main works fine, on, off, and dimming. The satellite will turn on the light if it is off. It will not turn the light off if it is on. Also the satellite will not dim. It seems to be wired correctly. The wire to the lamp is attached to the same terminal as the  black traveler wire marked 2. The red wire is attached to the red screws of both switches as in the photos. However, the video tutorial says the load wire should be attached to the red terminal. Should the load be switched?

Ggggg

How do you update firmware on mini plug? Mine is 1.0.4

I have al ost 300 switches h200 and  just upgraded my BT router and have been trying to reconfigure my Smart switches to connect to the new router.  When I scan the network it does not see my network so have been trying to configure it manually.  However it still won't connect.

Compre hace dos meses dos tipos de cajas tp link. Resultó ser que una de ellas no coge doble banda 2.4GB sólo conectó 5GB el otro modelo que compré es un espancionador gaste más de 300 dólares por gusto la tienda donde lo compre Home depot a los latinos sin recibo no les cambia los artículos 

Michael Duro

I just connected up 2 KS200 light switches. They are grouped together in one wiring box.

got them all hooked up and set up in the app. Both were working. I turned the breaker back off and screwed them back into place with the switch plate cover. When I turned the power back on, one works fine, and the other just blinks continuously regardless of using the switch. 

not sure what I need to check...any help? Thanks 

upload
    upload