Basic networking questio 2 gzh and 5ghz band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-20 10:16:14 - last edited 2023-09-22 01:46:05
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

This might be a very basic question on 2ghx and 5ghz bands.

so i am with virgin, I had there 100mb service and the router was set up im modem mode and 3 deco m5's which work perfectly.

i had my broadband speed upgraded to 300 mb service and a new router was supplied. I put that into modem mode.   The deco connected and everything is working fine and do the speed test and I am getting the 300mb speed shown in the deco speed test. 

However when i run the speed test on my laptop the max speed I got was 100mb. and the same on my phone etc.

So this was driving me mad.  I then went to the wifi settings on my laptop and changed the setting from 2ghz to 5ghz and i got my 300mb speed.

So my question is, should my devices automaticaly switch to the highest speed or do i have to look all my devices to see if they 2ghz or 5 ghz devices and then switch them all manually?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Basic networking questio 2 gzh and 5ghz band-Solution
2023-09-20 19:59:50 - last edited 2023-09-22 01:46:05

Irrien wrote

my question is, should my devices automaticaly switch to the highest speed or do i have to look all my devices to see if they 2ghz or 5 ghz devices and then switch them all manually?

@Irrien 

Like many dual band routers (i.e., broadcasting with same SSID on 2.4GHz and 5GHz) Deco mesh implements band steering. Band Steering means telling device which band to use. In Deco mesh, idle or lightly utilized devices steered to 2.4GHz, because that band drains mobile device battery less. When device starts utilizing WiFi network more heavily and for longer period of time, it will be steered back to 5Ghz. That might not happen for a quick speed test run.

My recommendations:

If you don't need 2.4GHz on Main Network, just turn it off.

If you do need 2.4GHz, with Deco M5 you have ability to configure preferred band per device, see Part 2 of the following document: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

I would recommend making that configuration change only for devices that do need fast speed all the time: PC, laptop, tablet. Devices such as smartphones, Smart TV, IoT, WiFi printers - those don't really need to stay on 5GHz all the time, so you can leave this setting for them on its default "automatic" value.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Basic networking questio 2 gzh and 5ghz band
2023-09-20 14:16:13

@Irrien 99% of the devices currently available support both 2ghz & 5ghz.

On the router side, you should enable both bands. On the device side, when you're close to the M5, the device will automatically change to 5 ghz.

In short, 2.4ghz has lower speed, but can travel longer distance. 5ghz has higher speed, but lower distance coverage.

This is the reason why ISPs & router companies tell users to test internet speed when you're closer to the router.

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
Re:Basic networking questio 2 gzh and 5ghz band-Solution
2023-09-20 19:59:50 - last edited 2023-09-22 01:46:05

Irrien wrote

my question is, should my devices automaticaly switch to the highest speed or do i have to look all my devices to see if they 2ghz or 5 ghz devices and then switch them all manually?

@Irrien 

Like many dual band routers (i.e., broadcasting with same SSID on 2.4GHz and 5GHz) Deco mesh implements band steering. Band Steering means telling device which band to use. In Deco mesh, idle or lightly utilized devices steered to 2.4GHz, because that band drains mobile device battery less. When device starts utilizing WiFi network more heavily and for longer period of time, it will be steered back to 5Ghz. That might not happen for a quick speed test run.

My recommendations:

If you don't need 2.4GHz on Main Network, just turn it off.

If you do need 2.4GHz, with Deco M5 you have ability to configure preferred band per device, see Part 2 of the following document: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

I would recommend making that configuration change only for devices that do need fast speed all the time: PC, laptop, tablet. Devices such as smartphones, Smart TV, IoT, WiFi printers - those don't really need to stay on 5GHz all the time, so you can leave this setting for them on its default "automatic" value.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 243

Replies: 2

Related Articles