Omada Controller Performance

2024-03-07 03:41:42 - last edited 2024-03-08 02:00:18

is it possible that my omada controller is hindering my internet performance? I have an omada software controller installed in an old 7+ year old PC and it get CPU spike to 90-100% every few seconds. my network barely uses more than 50mbps speeds and even that, the internet significantly slows down. I tested my internet several times when I disconnect everything and test on one device. I'm getting full 300Mbps speeds when I'm the only one uses. the internet slows down when the number of phones connected to my wifi reaches 100 or more. internet seems to slow down when there are a lot of devices connected even though their combined bandwidth usage barely goes over 100Mbps. I'm thinking of getting a dedicated omada controller like OC300 in hopes it'll solve the problem.

addition: it's not just wifi that's getting slowed down. wired connection also slows down.

thoughts?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada Controller Performance-Solution
2024-03-07 08:53:37 - last edited 2024-03-08 02:00:18

Hi @Morris211 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Controller capability does not matter in your Internet speed.

Based on your description, it just looks like a normal sign when your clients increase. Consider limiting their speed if you don't want your devices affected.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Omada Controller Performance-Solution
2024-03-07 08:53:37 - last edited 2024-03-08 02:00:18

Hi @Morris211 

Controller capability does not matter in your Internet speed.

Based on your description, it just looks like a normal sign when your clients increase. Consider limiting their speed if you don't want your devices affected.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omada Controller Performance
2024-03-07 08:59:43
the combined bandwidth usage doesn't even come close to 50% of the available bandwidth. I'd imagine the speed should only slow down if the bandwidth was used at 100% utilization.
Options
2024-03-07 09:02:28

Hi @Morris211 

Morris211 wrote

the combined bandwidth usage doesn't even come close to 50% of the available bandwidth. I'd imagine the speed should only slow down if the bandwidth was used at 100% utilization.

Without a controller, you can even get Internet and they still run. But not for the mesh. Config has been deployed to them. So they can run without a controller. It is not a problem with the controller. That's the conclusion.

Options
2024-03-07 13:55:19

@Morris211 

I am not sure how Clive determined you were using the wireless mesh capability, however that could impact the backhaul performance to your internet (and cause a lot of those packet retries).  Also if you have fast roaming turned on, that could add load on the controller CPU and impact performance in the field.  Given the 45 APs, the OC300 is more appropriately sized for your network.

I think a simple test would be to temporarily disconnect the controller (pull ethernet plug), and see if anything changes.  I doubt it will.  You can then plug it back in and things should continue as before (no outage).

You can also probably improve things a bit through some RF optimization...ie check your 2.4G channels (and I recommend fixing them to only 1,6, or 11 and 20Mhz only) and output powers via a site survey to ensure they aren't competing with each other (excess overlap in coverage).  If you are using a mesh, then minimize the number hops and neighbours (I recommend <=2 for both) and maximize the number of wired root APs.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-03-08 01:55:18

Hi @d0ugmac1

d0ugmac1 wrote

@Morris211 

I am not sure how Clive determined you were using the wireless mesh capability, however that could impact the backhaul performance to your internet (and cause a lot of those packet retries).  Also if you have fast roaming turned on, that could add load on the controller CPU and impact performance in the field.  Given the 45 APs, the OC300 is more appropriately sized for your network.

I think a simple test would be to temporarily disconnect the controller (pull ethernet plug), and see if anything changes.  I doubt it will.  You can then plug it back in and things should continue as before (no outage).

You can also probably improve things a bit through some RF optimization...ie check your 2.4G channels (and I recommend fixing them to only 1,6, or 11 and 20Mhz only) and output powers via a site survey to ensure they aren't competing with each other (excess overlap in coverage).  If you are using a mesh, then minimize the number hops and neighbours (I recommend <=2 for both) and maximize the number of wired root APs.

Morris is using outdoor EAP. (Picture). So, that's my guess and asked him.

The controller would not affect the performance of the Internet speed, ping, or latency.

Options
2024-03-08 13:31:47

Ha!  I'd just ignored the "red"-acted area.  Hats off to you Clive :)

Almost certainly the poor performance is due to poor mesh topology. 

Can you provide the 'Topology' generated by the Controller and also the ratio of root AP to meshed APs?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 335

Replies: 6

Related Articles