Disable internet access for clients while keeping network share

2024-03-31 08:19:03 - last edited 2024-04-12 08:34:20
Model: TL-SG1024DE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there, I need advise for my network.

I have a TL-SG1024DE switch, one more unmanaged switch TL-SG1016, a router, a NAS unit, some printers and bunch of clients. I want to build a network where some clients have internet access while the others don't have internet but all have access to NAS, printers...

For example I want to plug router cable to Port 1, plug printers and NAS to Port 2-8, and limited clients to Port 9-24 of TL-SG1024DE. I know the default VLAN1 includes all ports, but not sure about how to setup the other vlan(s). Make another VLAN2 for 2-24, all tagged ports will do the trick? I can manually assign IP to limited clients, printers and NAS. Need help, thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Disable internet access for clients while keeping network share-Solution
2024-04-01 06:19:57 - last edited 2024-04-12 08:34:20

Hi @LBMaster 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It is not possible to do this with your current switches. The switch cannot determine if your device gets Internet or not as it is a layer 2 switch.

With the help of your router, that might be doable.

But, you have to make sure that your router supports the VLAN interface. If it does not, not possible to do this setup at all. With the VLAN interface and ACL, you can do this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Disable internet access for clients while keeping network share-Solution
2024-04-01 06:19:57 - last edited 2024-04-12 08:34:20

Hi @LBMaster 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It is not possible to do this with your current switches. The switch cannot determine if your device gets Internet or not as it is a layer 2 switch.

With the help of your router, that might be doable.

But, you have to make sure that your router supports the VLAN interface. If it does not, not possible to do this setup at all. With the VLAN interface and ACL, you can do this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 110

Replies: 1

Related Articles