Omaha policy routing by MAC address instead of static ip?

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Tags: #NAT

Can I set up policy routing on a multi wan omada router categorising devices by MAC address instead of LAN ip? The reason is that I already have the MAC addresses  of all  my devices static and I'll have to assign IP's statically to each of them 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omaha policy routing by MAC address instead of static ip?-Solution

Hi @14paavang 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Configuration should be layer 1 > layer 2 > layer 3. Policy routing is about configuring L3 and NAT and it should be IP, not MAC address. MAC can bind to the IP though.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Omaha policy routing by MAC address instead of static ip?-Solution

Hi @14paavang 

Configuration should be layer 1 > layer 2 > layer 3. Policy routing is about configuring L3 and NAT and it should be IP, not MAC address. MAC can bind to the IP though.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omaha policy routing by MAC address instead of static ip?

@Clive_A 

speaking of nat, if I'm running a dual nat setup, can I still use policy routing if my Omada router is on the second layer? I.e if I have a er605 connected to a few decos but I kept them in router mode, when UK's I still be able to see all the devices individually connected to the deco mesh? I'm asking as I currently have qos set up on my decos and when I add an er605, I still need to be able to do that 

Options
a week ago

Hi @14paavang 

14paavang wrote

@Clive_A 

speaking of nat, if I'm running a dual nat setup, can I still use policy routing if my Omada router is on the second layer? I.e if I have a er605 connected to a few decos but I kept them in router mode, when UK's I still be able to see all the devices individually connected to the deco mesh? I'm asking as I currently have qos set up on my decos and when I add an er605, I still need to be able to do that 

I don't understand what you mean by the second layer. Double-NAT should be setting the uplink as bridge mode and it should be fixed.

To see what's connected to the Deco, you should turn Deco into AP mode.

If you keep the Deco in router mode, you don't have any possibility to see what's behind it because of the essence of NAT.

Options
a week ago

@Clive_A  so all I have to do is make an er605 be in bridge mode and have 2 wans and then connect me decks in router mode to the er605 and then I get to keep the deco qos

Options
a week ago

Hi @14paavang 

14paavang wrote

@Clive_A  so all I have to do is make an er605 be in bridge mode and have 2 wans and then connect me decks in router mode to the er605 and then I get to keep the deco qos

There is no bridge mode on the ER605. None TP-Link models except for the DSL models have that. Deco and Omada are both routers expcet for the ER605 is supposed to be the NAT.

Consider either replacing the Deco and use them as AP. Or use the Deco with the modem.

Options
a week ago

@Clive_A so decos in ap mode then and then I have to assign static IPs to all the clients so I can policy route them properly 

also does policy routing get overriden when the network has to fail to the secondary wan?

Options
a week ago

Hi @14paavang 

14paavang wrote

@Clive_A so decos in ap mode then and then I have to assign static IPs to all the clients so I can policy route them properly 

also does policy routing get overriden when the network has to fail to the secondary wan?

Please try out the guide first and read about each parameter in the help center(?). Will discuss this with you if you have other questions.

Options
a week ago

@Clive_A which guide is this now ?

Options
a week ago

Hi @14paavang 

14paavang wrote

@Clive_A which guide is this now ?

There is a list of configuration guides on the forum. Same for the FAQ. Please refer to the existing guides and manuals. Policy Routing as the keywords, you will have several guides about this.

And in the configuration page, you have the help center for explanation about every term in the parameters.

Options