Deco XE75 Pro - 1gig Internet & 2.5g backhaul

2024-04-30 16:28:16 - last edited 2024-05-06 06:52:40
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I've currently got 3x XE75 Pro and plan to add more at a later date. I currently have Virgin Media 1gig Fibre into the house and usually get between 1-1.2gig speeds to the house.

I plan to hardwire all the DECO's to each other via a switch and was looking to use a 6 or 8 port 2.5g switch to connect them all and use the 2.5g port on the back of each. 

I know from the diagram that you need to run the internet into the back of the primary XE75 and then connect a 2nd cable out to the switch, with the remaining XE75's all connected to the switch for this to work.

My question is - am I limiting the internet speed to below max speed by connecting the internet router to the 1g port of the primary XE75 and using the 2.5g port as the connection to the 2.5g switch and connecting all the other XE75's to the switch via their 2.5g ports.  Between each other, they are connected via 2.5g, but the max internet speed is throttled by the 1g connection.

However, if I connect the internet to the primary XE75's 2.5g port, I'll throttle the rest of the 2.5g network to 1g as I'll connect to the switch via a 1g port.

It feels like the first option is the correct option, but am I effectively throttling the max internet speed?

Or am I mixing up my speed terms!

Thanks, STeve

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco XE75 Pro - 1gig Internet & 2.5g backhaul-Solution
2024-04-30 20:36:18 - last edited 2024-05-06 06:52:40

@Cybermag 

I am assuming you have Virgin Hub 5 with 2.5Gbps Ethernet port. Older Hubs only has gigabit ports.

If you use the diagram where all Ethernet traffic goes through Main Deco, no matter how you wire XE75 Pro you'll be limiting overall speed by gigabit. It is because XE75 Pro has one 2.5Gbps Ethernet port - and you need two 2.5Gbps ports to pass traffic through at speeds faster than gigabit. 

You have two options if you want faster than gigabit speeds:

1. Buy single Deco unit which has more than one 2.5Gbps Ethernet port and supports WiFi6E or WiF7, make it Main Deco.

or

2. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode (see Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode), then you can have the following:

All Deco including Main Deco will be connected to 2.5Gbps switch.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 Pro - 1gig Internet & 2.5g backhaul-Solution
2024-04-30 20:36:18 - last edited 2024-05-06 06:52:40

@Cybermag 

I am assuming you have Virgin Hub 5 with 2.5Gbps Ethernet port. Older Hubs only has gigabit ports.

If you use the diagram where all Ethernet traffic goes through Main Deco, no matter how you wire XE75 Pro you'll be limiting overall speed by gigabit. It is because XE75 Pro has one 2.5Gbps Ethernet port - and you need two 2.5Gbps ports to pass traffic through at speeds faster than gigabit. 

You have two options if you want faster than gigabit speeds:

1. Buy single Deco unit which has more than one 2.5Gbps Ethernet port and supports WiFi6E or WiF7, make it Main Deco.

or

2. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode (see Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode), then you can have the following:

All Deco including Main Deco will be connected to 2.5Gbps switch.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco XE75 Pro - 1gig Internet & 2.5g backhaul
3 weeks ago

@Cybermag 

Sorry I didnt get the notitication. Thank you for the explaination - that makes sense.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 211

Replies: 2

Related Articles