Can't ping wifi devices from lan

2024-05-05 08:39:16 - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hey,

I'm running an Omada Controller on a Proxmox machine with two Omada switches and four EAP653s. So far I have only one special VLAN for the 5G antenna for my Telekom Speedport router, the rest of the devices are all in the same main lan with no guest network, no acl rules and so on. Yet somehow I can't ping wifi devices from wired lan devices. Wifi to wifi and lan to lan works, wifi to lan works as well. I can't find any setting to change this, can you help me out?

Options
15 Reply
Re:Can't ping wifi devices from lan and vice versa
2024-05-06 06:52:58

Peacecamper wrote

Hey,

I'm running an Omada Controller on a Proxmox machine with two Omada switches and four EAP653s. So far I have only one special VLAN for the 5G antenna for my Telekom Speedport router, the rest of the devices are all in the same main lan with no guest network, no acl rules and so on. Yet somehow I can't ping wifi devices from wired lan devices and vice versa. Wifi to wifi and lan to lan works. I can't find any setting to change this, can you help me out?

Hi @Peacecamper 

Can you share the LAN setting on your controller? Have you created any VLAN on controller? And what are the IP address of the Omada devices, Wi-Fi clients and LAN clients?

Besides, please also confirm the topology of your network, how did you connect the controller, switch and EAP. Thanks.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-06 07:33:13

@Hank21 

I hope I provide you with the correct information now, if anything is missing, please let me know:

The one VLAN is for the 5G antenna of my router. The Antenna is connected to Switch Garage on a Port that only has this VLAN, Switch Garage is connected to Switch Haus with profile all and Switch Haus then has a port with the 5G VLAN only that is connected to the antenna input port of my router. My router is a Telekom Speedport and is also the DHCP server. 

The controller is run on a Proxmox machine, which is connected to Switch Garage. AP Garage is connected to the Switch Garage, the other three APs are connected to Switch Haus, however there is a small 5 Port POE Switch in between, since Switch Haus has no POE ports (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B078LCTV2R). 

Options
2024-05-09 02:06:38

Hi @Peacecamper 

May I double confirm that your router only transmit the 5G VLAN traffic to the first switch, which is Switch Haus? Have you configured the VLAN1 on router as well? Could you try to check the VLAN settings on router and share to us? Besides, what if you change the port between the router and switch to profile all?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-09 06:51:30

@Hank21 

The router has three ports, that are in use. 1. is normal WAN, 2. is the 5G Antenna (it's a hybrid router, combining 5G and DSL) and the 3. port is LAN. Only the ports used for 5G have this VLAN. The 5G works as intended btw., I just use the VLAN to "lengthen the cable", since my router and antenna are too far apart for the provided cable. I don't think this causes the issue I have, but of course I could be wrong.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Hank21 Do you have any tips?

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @Peacecamper 

Have you checked your VLAN setting on your router/gateway? For VLAN on layer 2 switch, the different VLAN should be not able to communicate with each other. Thus you need to check the VLAN setting on router/gateway to make sure the different VLAN can be routing successfully.

You can configure the ports on switch, one port is default LAN, and the other port as VLAN 7, please connect two PCs on the ports and test whether they can communicate. If not, there might be routing issue on your router/gateway instead of the switch.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Hank21 There are no vlan settings on the router, it's a model from my service provider and rather basic. 

I can access the configuration page for my antenna (VLAN 7 only) from my laptop with wifi, so this shouldn't be a problem. 

I also realised that I apparently can access wired components from my wifi, but not the other way around. So actually the problem is just one way, wired PCs can't access WiFi devices, but vice versa works. 

Hank21 wrote

Hi @Peacecamper 

Have you checked your VLAN setting on your router/gateway? For VLAN on layer 2 switch, the different VLAN should be not able to communicate with each other. Thus you need to check the VLAN setting on router/gateway to make sure the different VLAN can be routing successfully.

You can configure the ports on switch, one port is default LAN, and the other port as VLAN 7, please connect two PCs on the ports and test whether they can communicate. If not, there might be routing issue on your router/gateway instead of the switch.

Options
2 weeks ago

Peacecamper wrote

@Hank21 There are no vlan settings on the router, it's a model from my service provider and rather basic. 

I can access the configuration page for my antenna (VLAN 7 only) from my laptop with wifi, so this shouldn't be a problem. 

I also realised that I apparently can access wired components from my wifi, but not the other way around. So actually the problem is just one way, wired PCs can't access WiFi devices, but vice versa works. 

Hank21 wrote

Hi @Peacecamper 

Hi @Peacecamper 

As I mentioned before, the VLAN on Layer 2 switch should not be able to communicate with each other. The devices on VLAN 1 cannot reach VLAN 7 if there is no VLAN interface on router. I am sorry that I am not familiar to the 5G antenna you mentioned, but according to the screenshots you provided, it is normal that your main LAN and VLAN 7 has been isolated. You can just make a simple test: one port on switch with main LAN, and the other as VLAN 7. Try to PING each other, if you fail to PING each other, it means that the VLAN has been configured successfully.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Hank21 Just to clarify: VLAN 7 being isolated is intended and works flawlessly. The problem is in every other device, that has no vlan assigned. For example I can't reach my wifi only smart home devices from my pc,l (lan), but from my laptop (wifi). 

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hi @Peacecamper 

Can you show me the port setting of the relevant switch you connect the PC? And what is the IP address of it? And please also check the port setting connects to the EAP, and check the IP address of your IoT device. You can also have a phone to make the test. Please provide some screenshots about how you make the test.

I have just tested that the wireless only device can be reachable for the wired PC. There is no limitation on the default LAN.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 356

Replies: 15

Related Articles