Laptops can't connect to hidden networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-21 14:45:15 - last edited 2022-08-22 21:20:26
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20220407 Rel. 69134

I setup my Deco X50 with the following properties:

• 2.4GHz --> ON
  • 5 GHz --> ON
  • SSID + password
  • WPA3-Personal + WPA2-PSK [AES]
  • "Hide this network from Wi-Fi lists" --> ON
  • Channel Width for 5GHz --> 160 MHz
  • Advanced settings are untouched so far, so eg. "Fast roaming" is disabled
  • ... and a guest network

It works flawlessly with phones and some other peripheral devices, but when I try to connect my laptops to it, they can't connect.

I have already tried the obvious stuff, like restarting the routers and laptops, forgetting the SSID and try reconnecting. The drivers for the WiFi are updated to the latest versions on the laptops.

I can connect to the guest network, no problem.

I can also connect if I disable 5GHz, however, this unhides the network for some reason, and as soon as I hide the network again, it disconnects the laptops. It only seems to affect the laptops. The phones and everything else continues working throughout this process.

Does this have anything to do with some WiFi 6 black magic and that some devices can't utilize this when hidden or something? This would be a 100% deal breaker for me, as we now have three laptops without WiFi in the house and I need my SSID to be hidden.

Please advice me on how to solve this issue.

Worth nothing is that this worked without any issues at all on my previous TP Link Archer C9 (just moved to a big house and needed mesh so I changed to Deco X50)

Update: It seems the Deco is emitting "Hidden Network", and if I connect to that (I have to enter both SSID and password) it does connect, but after I restart the laptop, it's gone again.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Laptops can't connect to hidden networks-Solution
2022-08-22 21:20:17 - last edited 2022-08-22 21:20:26

@gattiamare 

To whomever that find themselves in the same situation...

I reinstalled the drivers of the wireless devices on my laptops (upgraded if possible). After that I found that Deco emitted "Hidden Network" in the network list (the one found in the "Internet Access" icon in the taskbar). When clicking the "Hidden Network" I got prompted to enter SSID and then password and I was up and running.

The network now stays hidden, which is the way I want it, and I now stay permanently connected on my laptops.

I hope this helps someone else!

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Laptops can't connect to hidden networks
2022-08-21 15:11:43 - last edited 2022-08-22 01:05:27
The more I look into this, the more I realize that this is, indeed, due to the laptops WiFi devices not being compatible with WiFi 6. There seems to be no other drivers for them, so I guess I'm stuck?
Options
2022-08-21 15:18:40 - last edited 2022-08-22 01:05:27

@gattiamare 

Beside the compatibility issue, check if it helps if you enable the lowermost of the options in the "Wireless Network Properties" of the laptops Wi-Fi adapters. I believe this option is disabled by default.

Options
2022-08-21 15:24:19 - last edited 2022-08-22 01:05:27

@woozle Yep, I tried this. Unfortunately it did not solve the issue.

Options
Re:Laptops can't connect to hidden networks-Solution
2022-08-22 21:20:17 - last edited 2022-08-22 21:20:26

@gattiamare 

To whomever that find themselves in the same situation...

I reinstalled the drivers of the wireless devices on my laptops (upgraded if possible). After that I found that Deco emitted "Hidden Network" in the network list (the one found in the "Internet Access" icon in the taskbar). When clicking the "Hidden Network" I got prompted to enter SSID and then password and I was up and running.

The network now stays hidden, which is the way I want it, and I now stay permanently connected on my laptops.

I hope this helps someone else!

Recommended Solution
Options