Laptop connects to main hub instead of extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-24 19:09:51

I have an AC750 Mesh wifi extender. I acquired it so that the signal to my laptop is better. But my laptop seems to be ignoring it and connects to the main hub instead.

My phones reconnect to the extender, when I move around the house.

When I block the laptop in the main hub settings, it reconnects to the extender.

When I unblock it goes back to the main hub.

Why doesn't the laptop automatically connect to the extender when the signal is stronger and closer.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Laptop connects to main hub instead of extender
2023-09-24 19:39:49

@Samand 

Hi,

A question. Are the "AC750 Mesh wifi extender" and the "main hub" actually joint into a Mesh network, be it either OneMesh or EasyMesh?

Options
2023-09-24 21:09:14
Hi, Thank you for responding. I’m not sure what that means, so most likely it’s not. Can you recommend some reading on how to create a mesh network?
Options
2023-09-24 21:48:35

@Samand 

If the main hub and the wifi extender are not forming a Mesh wireless network, then there is zero control over how a wireless client device connects to them. In other words, the laptop decides completely on its own whether to connect to the main hub or the extender.

A Mesh system on the other hand utilizes protocols that allow it to "advise" the wireless client device where to connect for the best connection. Whether the client device actually follows up on this is another matter, but usually it works quite well.

Anyway, if your "main hub" was not made by TP-Link, then it won't support OneMesh and even the chances that is supports EasyMesh are rather slim, I would say.

But I think it would still be worthwhile to look up the specs of your "main hub" and your "AC750 Mesh wifi extender" and check if they might support EasyMesh.

How routers and extenders are joint into a Mesh network can be looked up in their respective user's manuals.

Options