Reserve ip address and ip pool

a week ago - last edited a week ago

I have set up an address pool of 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.150. As I assign my reserve ip addresses, should they be inside the address pool or outside the address pool? Or, is the address pool set up for dhcp addresses? 

Also I have several access points. Should I assign reserve ip addresses to them? They are hard wired to the router.

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Reserve ip address and ip pool-Solution

@Ppgcowboy 

Hi,

Generally it doesn't matter, but personally I prefer to assign reserved IP addresses outside of the DHCP address pool. That is, as long as the particular router model allows it. Even of the router's made by TP-Link some allow reserving IP addresses outside of the DHCP address pool and some not. Since you didn't mention a particular model you have to find out by yourself.

As for the access point's IP addresses. It is totally up to you whether you reserve IP addresses for them or not. You could also configure static IP addresses on the access points themselves, instead of relying on reserving IP addresses via DHCP.

Personally I like it better when my access points always have the same IP address, so that I don't have to search for their present IP address whenever I want to access their admin webpages.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Reserve ip address and ip pool-Solution

@Ppgcowboy 

Hi,

Generally it doesn't matter, but personally I prefer to assign reserved IP addresses outside of the DHCP address pool. That is, as long as the particular router model allows it. Even of the router's made by TP-Link some allow reserving IP addresses outside of the DHCP address pool and some not. Since you didn't mention a particular model you have to find out by yourself.

As for the access point's IP addresses. It is totally up to you whether you reserve IP addresses for them or not. You could also configure static IP addresses on the access points themselves, instead of relying on reserving IP addresses via DHCP.

Personally I like it better when my access points always have the same IP address, so that I don't have to search for their present IP address whenever I want to access their admin webpages.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Reserve ip address and ip pool

@woozle thanks for the answer. Very helpful. One more question. I have an access point in my building and two out side. If I were to assign them each the same ip address, there should/would be no conflict? Would that allow me to seamlessly move in and out without having to sign in to each ap as one weakens and the other picks it up?

Options
Re:Reserve ip address and ip pool

@Ppgcowboy 

Each AP must have a unique IP address to avoid conflicts. You can use the same SSID on the access points to avoid multiple log-ins.  Any roaming will not be 100% seamless as it all depends on the devices concerned and the relative signal strengths of the APs. In most cases, everything should work OK.

Options