TL-WR702N in repeater mode masking MAC addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-26 04:05:18
Region : Canada

Model : TL-WR702N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My main router is a Linksys E3000 on which I have replaced the stock firmware with DD-WRT. I have written a monitoring script for DD-WRT that allows me to monitor the usage for all devices on my network (live, hourly, daily and monthly tallies of uploads and downloads).

I recently was given a TL-WR702N which I am using as a repeater to give a better WiFi signal for my kids' devices in the basement.

My monitoring script tracks the usage by the MAC address of the device (because IP address can/will change over time but the MAC won't). Since adding the repeater to the mix, I'm finding that the MAC addresses for the devices are getting replaced with that of the TL-WR702N... is this a configuration issue or a limitation of the TL-WR702N? Is there a setting that will preserve the MAC address for the traffic passing through the TL-WR702N to the main router?

Should I perhaps set the TL-WR702N up as a bridge rather than a repeater?

TIA

Al
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 590

Replies: 0

Related Articles