DECO PX50 - Powerline Limited - Options for Extending Mesh Coverage

a week ago
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20231226 Rel. 74361

Hi,

I have a Deco PX50 Mesh setup in our house with 3 nodes. It provides good coverage and works well. One satellite node connects to the main node via wifi and the second node connects using powerline backhaul. I need to add a further node to a workshop shed 20 meters from the main house. I had hoped this would be possible using powerline backhaul since the nodes are powered from the same power supply circuit, but the extra node in the shed will not connect. I assume the distance is too far for the powerline connection to work.

What is the best option to extend the Deco Mesh using TP-Link/Deco devices? Running a dedicated ethernet connection is not an option. I could make a point-to-point wifi connection and put an extra Deco node in the shed but I'm not sure that would maintain the Deco Mesh?

Thanks in anticipation of your suggestions.

Options
4 Reply
Re:DECO PX50 - Powerline Limited - Options for Extending Mesh Coverage
a week ago

@Martinix 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

May I know the model number of the extra Deco unit you used to install in the shed? is it also a Deco PX50 or something else?

The recommended distance is 300m based on the electric wire, not the actual spatial distance. Generally speaking, 20 meters would not be a problem if the extra Deco unit is Deco PX50.

Among all the products, Deco PX50 is the only one that works on G.hn powerline protocol. So if Deco PX50 is not appropriate, we might need to find another workaround.

A point-to-point Wi-Fi connection here via CPE would be a good suggestion:

How can I set up the AP + Client topology successfully?

Deco PX50---<Ethernet>----CPE210~~~~<WiFi>~~~~~CPE210----another Deco in the shed, Deco X50 for example.

Deco X50 would still be part of the Deco PX50's Mesh network.

Moreover, 20 meters is almost on the margin of the wireless coverage of a single Deco unit. But we could consider adding one more unit in the middle, such as:

Deco PX50----<WiFi>------Deco PX50

\----<Powerline>----Deco PX50-----<WiFi>----Deco X50-outdoor-----<WiFi>----Deco X50 in the shed

Best regards.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP Thanks for your helpful response. Yes, it is a Deco PX50 unit. I moved one of the existing slave Deco PX50 nodes to the shed as a test. I was able to get a very weak wifi connection to the main Deco PX50 node but it wouldn't connect via Powerline. The ideal solution would be to use a Powerline backhaul connection between the main node and the node in the shed. If that isn't possible, I'll have to do as you suggest and use a point-to-poing wifi link. It is a steel shed so I'll need to install an external antenna/access point on the shed.

For reference, does Deco PX50 support a wired ethernet backhaul between nodes? And is it possible to mix different types of Deco units as part of one mesh or do they need to be the same model of Deco?

Options
a week ago

@Martinix 

Thanks for the feedback.

Deco PX50(more precisely all Deco models, except Deco M3W that doesn't have any EThernet ports) supports Ethernet Backhaul.

Different Decos also work well with each other.

Can different Deco models work together?

Best regards.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP Many thanks. I'm going to try and use a Deco X50 Outdoor unit. Mounted on the outside of the shed (powered by PoE) with an ethernet connection to a Deco X50 node inside the shed to provide client access.

I tested the PX50 node carefully inside the shed but, although on the same power source, I can't a powerline backhaul connection to the master PX50 node.

I'll let you know the outcome and solution for the final configuration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 82

Replies: 4

Related Articles