External Antenna - will it help?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-02 13:05:51 - last edited 2020-09-08 08:37:20
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

I'm looking at the possibility of getting an external antenna for my MR600 and needs some help from those who have more knowledge than me on this.

My dad had phone line broadband but was only getting 4 meg, so i've switched him over to the MR600, already working better he's getting between 10 and 20 meg.

I did some tests before making the switch as follows:

1. used my samsung galaxy S20+ on EE to test signal strength at the proposed router location (upstairs window ledge) and do some speed tests.  30-40 meg, great

2. Ordered a three 'test' mobile sim put it in my phone and did the same tests as above. same results, great.

(Three assured me the data connection is the same between mobile phone and mobile data sims to the mast)

3. Ordered the MR600 and Three data sim.  Only getting 10-20 meg.

I have 1-2 bars of signal strength on top of the router.  I don't have the mobile connection stats to hand as i write this, but i do remember the signal looked quite weak.

I know i'm connecting on bands 3 and 20 on the MR600, i'm assuming its the same on my phone being a rural location but can't be certain.

Since i have tested with my mobile which got very strong signal strength, would a high gain antenna fix my problem?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:External Antenna - will it help?-Solution
2020-09-08 08:37:11 - last edited 2020-09-08 08:37:20

@Vaux_2 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Normally, MR600 would have a better LTE reception than smartphone at the same location, so additional LTE antennas  might not help too much;

For the current issue, you could check the following information:

1. Check the APN settings on the smart phone and compare with the same settings on the MR600;
  2. Check the network band on the smartphone to see if it is also on band 3+20;

(if not, later we could update to a beta firmware which could help us manually choose the LTE band on the MR600)

Thank you very much!

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:External Antenna - will it help?-Solution
2020-09-08 08:37:11 - last edited 2020-09-08 08:37:20

@Vaux_2 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Normally, MR600 would have a better LTE reception than smartphone at the same location, so additional LTE antennas  might not help too much;

For the current issue, you could check the following information:

1. Check the APN settings on the smart phone and compare with the same settings on the MR600;
  2. Check the network band on the smartphone to see if it is also on band 3+20;

(if not, later we could update to a beta firmware which could help us manually choose the LTE band on the MR600)

Thank you very much!

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 674

Replies: 1

Related Articles