Archer C80 not hidding SSID

2024-03-26 01:20:00 - last edited 2024-03-29 20:52:44
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.13.2

Hi community!

I bought 5 Archer C80. The one acting as router is connected via LAN to an 8 ports switch and 4 Archer C80 connected with LAN to the switch. All 5 of them same version and latest official firmware. All of them are setup to work as "EasyMesh" and works great in terms of reach and reliability. 

The one thing that bothers me is that I have the 5ghz connection for general use and the 2.4ghz mainly for IOT so I decided not to broadcast the SSID for that band... but can't seem to hide it. Smart Connect is disabled.

I carried this issue through different firmware versions. It's not a big deal but it's a bit annoying. 

Has anyone faced this?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C80 not hidding SSID-Solution
2024-03-27 03:10:47 - last edited 2024-03-29 20:52:44

@Archundias 

Hi, at least the main router SSID should be hidden if you check the "Hide SSID" option and save it. Please try to power off all the satellite routers for testing the main router.

Additionally, please note that if your client devices have already been connected to that SSID ever, you will still see if the SSID even though it is hidden, in that case, you could forget the WiFi on your client device first, then check if you will still be able to see that SSID.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:Archer C80 not hidding SSID
2024-03-26 14:41:50

@Archundias 

In general the satellite devices should replicate the main router wireless settings, but I don't know how this is implemented in current C80 FW release.

Have you tried to check Hide SSID in your main C80 and check if the satellite C80 emitting this SSID:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-26 15:48:02

@terziyski thanks for your reply! With "EasyMesh" enabled you can't actually access the satellites. I'm only allowed to manage the wireless settings for the whole network by logging into the main router. The setting you pointed out in your screenshot is precisely what I've unchecked already and doesn't work. Tried with both 2.4ghz and 5ghz but doesn't seem to hide the SSID in any of them. 

Options
2024-03-26 17:13:51

@Archundias 

Yes, I know that satelitte devices web management is not available once added to the mesh network.

Just a small remark - to hide an SSID you have to check this setting.

If that's just a typo and it doesn't work in your case most probably this is not implemented in the C80 FW.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-26 17:23:59

@terziyski Yeap. Tried to check/uncheck in all possible combinations with no results. 

Options
2024-03-26 17:29:37 - last edited 2024-03-26 17:31:14

@Archundias 

What you can do is to file a Feture Reques (routers section) to request that feature.

If TP-LInk decides that the demanding is high they probably will implement this in future FW updates.

Options
Re:Archer C80 not hidding SSID-Solution
2024-03-27 03:10:47 - last edited 2024-03-29 20:52:44

@Archundias 

Hi, at least the main router SSID should be hidden if you check the "Hide SSID" option and save it. Please try to power off all the satellite routers for testing the main router.

Additionally, please note that if your client devices have already been connected to that SSID ever, you will still see if the SSID even though it is hidden, in that case, you could forget the WiFi on your client device first, then check if you will still be able to see that SSID.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-29 20:52:36

@Sunshine Looks like you're correct. This function only works with all the satellites turned off. A bit disappointed with some of the WiFi settings with the satellites.

Thanks!

Options
2024-04-01 02:36:42

@Archundias 

Thanks a lot for the update and feedback, we have reported to related engineers to improve the satellite router configurations, like synchronizing all wireless settings from the main router or allowing separate management to the satellite routers.

Options
2024-04-06 04:36:47

I only have one router in my place and only want to hide the IoT ssid. 

This seems to be impossible, as I understand, without hiding the main ssid ?

Options
2024-04-06 12:06:41 - last edited 2024-04-06 12:35:20

@Richard7978 

The conversation in the thread is for C80 devices configured in Easymesh.

As long as you use standalone C80 router and there's Hide SSID option it will work as expected.

Have a look at this and this feature requests.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 397

Replies: 14

Related Articles